1970 2800CS restoration

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
finally i got trough tech inspection today..... with the "new" speedo. I had 13 km at the station for my carpass :D

and they changed the rules.....
oldtimers between 25 and 30 years old must go every year to tech inspection, starting next year..... ( same as a recent car )
oldtimers above 30 years every 2 years , starting in 2020
( up to now we could get a once only tech report above 25 years but the use was limited to shows and rally which is now also changed to no limits except not for daily work use )

that will be again $$$$ i'm afraid.... not the inspection itself, but they find always "something" ... you must repair/change/renew.... not to mention a oldtimer must be OEM ! .... many will have serious problems... i think of bigger engines, bigger brakes ( even discs instead of the oem drums... ) , coilovers , wheels/tires, seats, steering wheels , rack&pinion conversions, roll cages , ( even a strut brace is not allowed !!! ) etc.... some cars will not be worth the rebuild to oem..... sure not if you don't have anymore the original parts.
There will be many cars for "export" or parts in the next years.... ???

The purists can be happy ... they are safe :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
indeed Stephen, and pitty.... but the good guys must suffer due the bad ones..... to many people now ( unlimited use is already some years ) drive "oldtimers" for tax/insurance reasons... so now we see old polluting wrecks as Mercedes 300 diesels used for shopping/work.... nothing to do with our "hobby" , just cheap transport .... Ok, most will be gone after inspection ... or even drive without .... !

on the other hand we have serious collectors... with 10? 20 ? .... cars... they will have plenty of work going inspections and repair to "demands" which
are often silly ....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i'm wondering.... as the front window gears are worn ( the plastic wheels have a dead spot ) are those gears/motors in the back of my rallycar the same ? i never use those… if so , i could swap them , even make the ones in the rallycar fix. ( Both are 1970 2800 CS )

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just bought these "on paper" … to see Saturday. I couldn't resist , they look nice for my "oem" blue coupe.
Wonder if they fit all corners : 7 x 15" ET20 with Vredestein tires 225/60/15

So far i had BBS 14" on it with( old ) serie 70 tires ( 205 /70/14) , have one tire blown , so needed to look for options.... think a 15" will look better ...?

PS i also bought 4 new tires 205/70/14 for my 14" wheels…
1) to have a decent spare wheel , as i only have the oem 14" with prehistoric tires
2) for tech inspection … legally, tires may only be 1 step wider than oem , so 205 is just within the 195 oem range …..

BBS1.png
BBS2.png

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as i expected , the fronts are "dangerous" wide for wrecking a (oem) fender.... but no big deal , i will use those 225/60 tires in the back and replace the fronts with 205/65…. think that must work.... They are even available in the same type Vredestein . Rims are perfect …

SAM_2617.JPG

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, do you have any camber plates installed? If not, they help quite alot to avoid the tire hitting the fender.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
no Robert , i have to keep the blue one oem for tech inspections …. those would even be to wide to pass.... oem is 195 , so we only may go 1 step wider , that is 205 . ( i have 4 wheels 205/70/14 for that :D), camber plates are indeed good for that , but no desire to change every year….

even a strut bar is forbidden ! yesyes, Belgium is a banana land for that matters.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
no Robert , i have to keep the blue one oem for tech inspections …. those would even be to wide to pass.... oem is 195 , so we only may go 1 step wider , that is 205 . ( i have 4 wheels 205/70/14 for that :D), camber plates are indeed good for that , but no desire to change every year….

even a strut bar is forbidden ! yesyes, Belgium is a banana land for that matters.

I see, and I thought Finland, with our inspections was bad... Now I know it could be worse:eek: