1970 2800CS restoration

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
indeed Erik , i'm looking at it to improve the strenght.... but are not gonne demount the fenders for it ... so it must be weldable from below ...
i think most important is to add a support between the A pillar and the strut mounting that gives vertical and horizontal stiffness ... ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just got my new carpets... was surprized we have 9.6 kg carpets in our E9....:)
Very happy with the quality.... the fit we will see later....

SAM_2436.JPG
SAM_2437.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
and from W&N i got the "missing" parts .... will see what we can weld in from below, not intended to remove the fenders.

SAM_2438.JPG

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It will be a challenge to weld in those parts with the fenders on.

The W&N parts are missing a piece that was on the original parts. The missing piece helped keep sand out of the open cavity.
Original part image here.
Look up Lokari fender liners. Many of us have them installed on our coupes to prevent water and debris from being tossed into those crevases

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
It will be a challenge to weld in those parts with the fenders on.

The W&N parts are missing a piece that was on the original parts. The missing piece helped keep sand out of the open cavity.
Original part image here.
Hi Thompson,

I was intrigued by your image, as I had never seen that vertical piece before. I have been trying to establish if it was on other cars as well, but sofar I have come up only with cars the have either nothing (like the BMW factory blue books, but they use an E3, attached), and I have found only one image of a similar vertical plate, but it's a different shape (youtube screenprint).
Neither is the vertical plate depicted in parts books.

Could the situation on your car be a previous owner invention?

Erik.

Attachments

• 2018-03-21 13_54_08-Voorscherm BMW E9 verwijderen - YouTube.png
    2018-03-21 13_54_08-Voorscherm BMW E9 verwijderen - YouTube.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 2018-03-21 13_54_49.png
    2018-03-21 13_54_49.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 200

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
@Stan

i know and discussed here already those Lokaris.... sorry , not my like.... i prefer "open" so i can see it , high pressure clean it ... and it dry's quicker. IMHO...:)

m_thompson

Reaction score
Could the situation on your car be a previous owner invention?

When looking for the replacement part I found two different parts numbers and ordered them both. (The replacement parts came directly from BMW 30 years ago at a cost of something like $12 each.) One part had the extra piece, one did not. I installed the ones with the extra piece.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
lowered this afternoon the rear suspension to prep for welding new parts in our famous corners !
SAM_2452.JPG
SAM_2453.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
ready to weld those prefab pieces and another 3 little patches needed....
First some rust converter on the inside , later i can fill it with Dinitrol spray

SAM_2454.JPG
SAM_2455.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sure Erik , with some rust converter , dinitrol spray and dry garage that will last another 47 years :)
I understand that purists would conclude that new rockers are "needed".... . There is no rust yet visible on the outside , so i think the "investment" is not needed yet ....just for piece of mind ? No , we want to drive the car first and enjoy .... my wife and son will use this CS in amateur rallys... On 14/15 April we already participate the "Trimard Classic" which has 2 classes , "amateur" and "expert" , so my 2 coupes should be in ! ( i hope , if i'm ready and tech inspection... )

Indeed , i had to search those prefab parts , never seen them at W&N.... i bought those in the UK , perfect fit !

www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_CS_products.asp?grp=CSBDR&page=8

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
while my welder is here tomorrow , i doubt if i would cut the middle silencer ? i have , by coincidence, the right per-bent tube for it... does it make a nicer , more sporty sound ? or not much difference ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
so, those nasty corners are welded , primed and anti gravel sprayed. Inside i soaked them with Dinitrol.... must be good for years .... i hope ...

Now the fun part begins, mounting all those new parts from the many W&N boxes.... :D

Bilstein should make a firmer connection of that blue plastic shield.... the least you hold it , it snaps off... and you can't remount it with the shock in the tower :mad:

SAM_2457.JPG

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now I know where that Jaymic part fits, I looked at that piece and couldn't figure out how or where it fitted but now I've seen it on your car it all makes sense. I made my own repair plates for that area so at least I saved myself some money.:) Hope we'll all be around in another 47 years to check out how the repair stood up but as I'm 62 this month that might be pushing it a bit. Heard this week that the two oldest men in the UK are 110.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
John, here the same.... i'm 61. I'm afraid it will survive us... in a dry garage now ....perhaps it was 30 years in wind & rain...?
me too, could not put that part from a pic on the car... till i had it in my hands :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
haha Philippe, i go for the record :D

rear is finished , oil in the diff and at the same time gearbox ( engine already done ) . Was pleasant surprized all oils seemed new fresh ! but you never know with a second hand car ....

Began demount the front suspension for new struts,shocks , under arms and those huge front rubbers.
(Welding in the extra body panels under the fenders will be for after tech inspection.... so that i'm sure ready for 14/15 april rally ! )

final will be the interior.... my (older) restored set seats from the rallycar , new belts, new carpets, new speakers, other steering wheel , some fiddling with the electric windows, smooth sanding wood and varnish , ..... and some polish on the "not so good" paint :)

I already have a license plate from a oldtimer jeep i sold !

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
succesful evening on front suspension , say 4 hours with dinner in between.... :D struts have indeed play !
Lucky , the arms are same length as i have read here that there are 2 different ones.... ?
SAM_2460.JPG
SAM_2461.JPG