1972 3.0 CSL For sale in Australia

Boobouna

Reaction score
View attachment 56772

You may need to check your notification settings again on Carsales. Here’s the notification from my end

f7ca8aa25e44e4fc0e7086e3828fc278.jpg

This was mine showing 14 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
If unsold, I find it strange that the ad was on carsales for such a short time - only about 4-5 weeks. If indeed he failed to sell it, and pulled if off the market, he sure didn’t give it much of a chance.

Last edited:

Boobouna

Reaction score
My bet is sold for about 300k and it's off the the UK.
The the exchange rate so good that's what I'd be doing.
From memory this car had an almost impeccable pedigree and loads of paperwork - you also need to ascribe a value to that.

As I guessed the car has not sold. It is now in the showroom for sale at Classic Throttle Shop, most likely on consignment. I’ve learned from experience never to trust sold notifications on CarSales.

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
As I guessed the car has not sold. It is now in the showroom for sale at Classic Throttle Shop, most likely on consignment. I’ve learned from experience never to trust sold notifications on CarSales.

In my experience, Carsales has been pretty accurate with their notifications (especially if the buyer puts “Sold” on the add rather than “on hold”. This CSL has a beautiful pedigree so it wouldn’t surprise me if Classic Throttle Shop purchased the car as part of their stock. Either way I can appreciate and welcome the demand and popularity of the e9’s to keep increasing together with their prices

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my experience, Carsales has been pretty accurate with their notifications (especially if the buyer puts “Sold” on the add rather than “on hold”. This CSL has a beautiful pedigree so it wouldn’t surprise me if Classic Throttle Shop purchased the car as part of their stock. Either way I can appreciate and welcome the demand and popularity of the e9’s to keep increasing together with their prices

Actually that is an interesting POV and to add:

CTS have been recently bought out by Duttons and the sales model in Victoria (where Duttons HQ’s located) is based on buying their classic car inventories outright, as apparently unlike NSW, vehicle consignment is not allowed by law in VIC.

It is therefore a plausible theory that CTS could own this CSL. Maybe they bought it for $300-350k and then they are selling for $400K+.

The way CTS has prepared and photographed it, it looks absolutely stunning.

Last edited:

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the old ad from before lol. The car is for sale at CTS. Price on application. I’ll be interested to see how much they want.

https://classicthrottleshop.com/1972-bmw-3-0-csl/

Hmm the ad from CTS on Carsales was taken down last night with a notification saying “sold “ lol. The ad is still up on their own CTS page. We will see in the next couple of days lol

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hmm the ad from CTS on Carsales was taken down last night with a notification saying “sold “ lol. The ad is still up on their own CTS page. We will see in the next couple of days lol

That advert on CarSales was definitely not CTS.

Boobouna

Reaction score

Now they have their advert on CarSales. I just went and saw the car and it is for sale.

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just received this notification from Carsales that the silver restored 3.0 CSL has sold. I believe they were asking Approximately AUS $350,000.

Attachments

• 6E6349B4-499A-4FC4-B585-679D6D188700.png
    6E6349B4-499A-4FC4-B585-679D6D188700.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 388

Boobouna

Reaction score
Just received this notification from Carsales that the silver restored 3.0 CSL has sold. I believe they were asking Approximately AUS $350,000.

I’m going to be the pessimist again. I’m doubting it sold.

Boobouna

Reaction score

They were asking $368k. Old restoration compared to the red one currently for sale which is $20k-$30k cheaper. Any buyer at that price point would have inspected both cars and although I haven’t seen the silver one in person, being a 10yr+ old resto most likely wouldn’t have held up as well as the red one which had a more recent resto. Some may argue the silver is a more desirable colour but that’s subjective.

BUT....I’m only speculating.

In the 6 months it been on the market it has had less than a handful of inquiries which isn’t a good sign.

The market here is saturated with e9’s including CSL’s, the most I have ever seen for sale at any one point in time. Most cars aren’t selling with high prices at auction either.

I’m hoping the new owner will come here and tell me otherwise lol.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is one thing that I don’t understand about this. Perhaps someone from Australia can elaborate. If you are willing to spend $200K (usd) on a RHD CSL, why not consider importing. Even if you spend $15K on import costs, UK inventory gives you significantly more opportunities to find the right car.