1972 bmw 3.0csi $27,000

e9driver

Reaction score
I am selling my 1972 BMW 3.0CSI. A solid daily driver.

Engines compression is good and the car runs smooth. There is a $5,000 invoice for recent work to make the car a reliable driver. Last week I drove the car 600 miles without any problems, no overheating, bakes work well. The 4 speed transmission needs rebuilding. Shifts well but makes noise.

The body is straight with what appears to be one re spray, original color is light blue. There are some small rust bubbles here and there around the belt molding. Rust hole in driver’s side floor. The shock towers are good.

Original black interior with cloth seats. Drivers seat shows some ware. The interior wood needs restoration. 1 crack on top dashboard. The glass is all original. All gauges and lights work with the exception of the odometer. The speedometer works but the odometer is stuck.

Previous owner did some modification to the fuse box to accommodate a high power stereo system. The 6 speaker sound system sounds great. The wiring upgrade, although it works with an upgraded fuse panel, it’s not original.

The car has a working AC system but the control knobs are not original. The system could be an old aftermarket retrofit. The car is missing some parts—glove box, elephant covers in trunk over wheel wells, took kit.

I will post pictures of the car soon. I look forward to answering questions and forwarding a link to anyone interested to online photos.

Call Frederick, 650-726-2633

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
Where

People will ask you where are you located... so I would add this information in the post :)

I'm not a buyer but am curious about the compression. You say it's good. Could you share the values you got? There was a recent thread on this topic recently and it be great for the group to get a few more data points, especially since yours is the 3L injected.

Thanks!

tmason

Reaction score
With your description of the trouble areas you might be priced high but good luck with the sale. Be sure to post photo's.
PS any signs of any rust is not a good thing on these cars.

e9driver

Reaction score
BMW 3.0CSI $27,000 Compression

This is a honest car. It's best to buy one with rust exposed so you know what you are getting so you can get it fixed right. All e9's have rust. A "rust free" car may simply be a car with rust holes filled with body filler (bondo).

The car is located in El Granada, CA. The motor compression is as follows:

1=130
2=125
3=120
4=120
5=120
6=120

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think with the bad compression numbers and the fender rusted out that you may want to post some pics of the bulkhead to impart some confidence in potential buyers/travelers to
El Grenada.
Good luck with your sale!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI - compression on a euro 3.0 csi is 9.2 : 1

You appear to be missing 50-60 psi of compression.
Do you have access to another gauge?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 273

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm compelled to say something here about this car and it being
Called a daily driver. I wouldn't drive this car with a passenger.
That is terminal rust in that fender. In many states and countries
It wouldn't and shouldn't be allowed on the road.

e9driver

Reaction score
Some people

Hay sfdon
I invite you to see my car in person. You are full of assumptions, but you do not know the car. I cannot poke holes in the areas with surface rust. Would you conceal rust with spray paint, or not post pictures showing a car's flaws? The buyer should see the car warts and all. You assume the car has the original motor. I did not make that claim. How do you know the compression ratio? If anyone knows how to identify if the motor is original, please let me know. sfcon you are so full of opinions--what's your deal.

I'm compelled to say something here about this car and it being
Called a daily driver. I wouldn't drive this car with a passenger.
That is terminal rust in that fender. In many states and countries
It wouldn't and shouldn't be allowed on the road.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Frederick,

You posted the compression numbers and Don gave you the correct factory specs. Please post a picture of the underside of the driver side floor pan, the one with the one gallon paint can lid that covers the hole in the floor. It sold on eBay Jan 23rd for $13,455, I am sorry if you were the buyer and did not inspect it first. The eBay seller was not forthcoming on this coupe's warts of which there are many.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=281246762677

We are a close knit community and don't want anyone to be taken advantage of, that's all. We've all been there at one time or another.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry Frederick- I didn't mean to prejudge your car.
You were very upfront with the compression problem and the rust and the failing transmission and the bubbling windshield.
I was probably too harsh with my comments about the safety issue regarding the fender.
This board needs more people that are open and honest like yourself.
I sincerely hope that you get your asking price (or more!)
My apologies.
Sfdon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like cloth seats, I like euro, I like Pirellis on 14 inch rims, and I like round prices that do not end in 99.95.

I am saying all this inspired by my son who always practices if you have nothing good to say about something do not say anything. I must disclaim my son has never deal with rust, I condemned that 77 E24 when he was a few years old.

e9driver

Reaction score
I have many E9’s. It’s because of people like myself, and many of you who are willing to put time and $$$ into restoring these wonderful cars that finest examples have high value. After inspecting the car I am selling I determined it was a easy restoration compared to many of the other e9’s and Corvettes I’ve restored recently.

My Cars
http://www.clientbirthday.com/e9photos/bmw from above.jpg
http://www.clientbirthday.com/e9photos/corvette.jpg

For example, I have a “California” Sunroof e9. Sunroof drain holes splash water behind the firewall and you get a rust holes in the firewall and wheel wells. I know this because just completed a Sunroof-caused rust-out on my 1974 3.0CS. The car I am selling does not have a sunroof thank god. I’ll take a rusted floor any day compared to fixing the damage a Sunroof causes.

Do not fear rebuilding a transmission or engine. These are old cars, what do you expect. I am asking $27,000 for a car that when finished is worth $65,000 to $85,000. A handy person, with skill, not paying retail for repairs can earn $40,000 or more restoring this car. I know, I’ve done it. (disclaimer, I have the chops, I owned a body shop for 10 years). This restoration can cost about $12,000 and a few months time. What’s important is we keep these beautiful e9’s on the road. After enjoying them, make a little bank then move on to another interesting project.

I am selling my 1972 BMW 3.0CSI. A solid daily driver.

Engines compression is good and the car runs smooth. There is a $5,000 invoice for recent work to make the car a reliable driver. Last week I drove the car 600 miles without any problems, no overheating, bakes work well. The 4 speed transmission needs rebuilding. Shifts well but makes noise.

The body is straight with what appears to be one re spray, original color is light blue. There are some small rust bubbles here and there around the belt molding. Rust hole in driver’s side floor. The shock towers are good.

Original black interior with cloth seats. Drivers seat shows some ware. The interior wood needs restoration. 1 crack on top dashboard. The glass is all original. All gauges and lights work with the exception of the odometer. The speedometer works but the odometer is stuck.

Previous owner did some modification to the fuse box to accommodate a high power stereo system. The 6 speaker sound system sounds great. The wiring upgrade, although it works with an upgraded fuse panel, it’s not original.

The car has a working AC system but the control knobs are not original. The system could be an old aftermarket retrofit. The car is missing some parts—glove box, elephant covers in trunk over wheel wells, took kit.

I will post pictures of the car soon. I look forward to answering questions and forwarding a link to anyone interested to online photos.

Call Frederick, 650-726-2633