1973 3.0 CS - 35K miles

calshamus

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma. I recently bought a 73 3.0 CS with the intention of mod/tuning the car, but it turns out its a 35K original miles car in amazing stock condition.

Pics link here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117214375058399711491/1973BMW30CS02?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Link to my introduction, car purchase here:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12297

IMG_1830.JPG

The pictures speak for themselves but just an FYI as to the condition - the clock and Blaupunkt stereo work perfectly. She is not concourse, but without a doubt show worthy. Please post questions here and I'll answer the best I can, take additional pics, etc. I've had it professionally inspected as well as looked over by an "e9 forum guy" and although I believe some work has been done to the car over the years, no accidents or any thing like that, nothing appears contrary to the speedometer or maintenance logs.

I'm not 100% sold on selling it because it's so nice, but I also would hate to alter this car or drive it in the rain...I plan on using my car almost daily. That said, I am open to selling the car, so send me offers. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks, and if no takers at a fair price then I'm going to move forward with my plans to modify it and drive it in the rain...without guilt. I may put on eBay, but thought I'd give the forum first shot. If you wanna save her, as-is, then spread the word.

Please note I'm open to trading her as well. Essentially, I'm open to anything that makes as long as it's fair to everyone involved.

Shawn

============= UPDATE =====================
Things done before my 1000 mile no-issues road trip:
- Re-Cored radiator, full flush
- Bilsteins shocks x4
- Brakes x4, new front vented rotors

Things I've done:
- Carbs - adjusted
- Replaced spark plugs and converted to electronic ignition, kept points in case someone wants them for any strange reason
- Brake light - fixed
- Replaced side mirror with new one
- Fixed Horn - Relay replaced

Things I'm planning to do:
- Charge A/C
- Starter, works but solenoid is going. Planning to put in a '90 E24 starter.
- Fasten seat belts light no worky.

Things to be done (account for in cost of car):
- Tie rods/radius arm bushing/align - $500
- Minor paint chips - $1000 - personally I wouldn't touch it, original vs.restore argument.
- Minor leaks/seepage, nothing left on garage floor - $1000 (generous amount)
- Some rubber is getting old, engine cowl, side markers, door seals, etc. - $500
- Foam inside hood could be replaced, but it's there but not perfect. See pic for details.
- Tool box - $400 - could use replacing, it's there but cracked. I have tools although not sure if all of them. I'm not an expert and I really don't care about the toolbox or tools. See pic for details.
- Misc little things I'm forgetting - $500 if the pursuit is perfection.

Other than that everything works and is in excellent condition...small list for a 40 year old car...yes its really that nice. You can tell by the bumper rubber, dash and what not that this car has been garaged it's entire life.

Lastly took more pics of the maintenance records so you can see the mileage history I have on the car. The previous owner said he'd write me a letter on the missing history, but since he's now in the UK, communication has been difficult. Hopefully, he's just busy with unpacking, new job position, etc. and not blowing me off. I'll keep trying. Worst case scenario I can write up what he told me, reference what he put in emails, and put into a formal letter.

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shawn

I have a friend who may be interested. Do you have sufficient vehicle history to document it is truly a 35k mi car?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen this car in person and looked over it for over an hour with Shawn one evening in the parking lot. Shawn's description is right on and you can trust anything that he says about the car. I'm sure he will elaborate on the documents he has for service history but we talked about it and couldn't come up with anything that would justify it NOT being 35k. From memory... Service records at the dealership up to 1992, a gap in documents, then records again from 2005 to present. My opinion is that most mileage put on cars like our coupes is done in the first ten years of life, then they become second and third cars and don't get driven near as much. If you use that logic, someone would have had to put 100k miles on the car in the thirteen years between 1992 and 2005. Doable for sure but not likely.

Shawn's a car guy and knows his stuff, which is why he's hesitant to modify this very very nice coupe.

Dan

calshamus

Reaction score
Adding to Dan (dang) comments below. The car wasn't registered for ~7 years, so that brings the window of opportunity to put 100K miles on the car down to ~6 years, making it even more unlikely. Keep in mind the previous owner works for BMW and had huge respect for this car. I'll share other thoughts on this with interested buyers, I don't mean to sound mysterious, but I'll simply say he was unique.

UPDATE: I heard from the previous owner today who stated he'll get me a letter soon. He's been tied up with the recent move and new position in the UK.

Shawn

Last edited:

calshamus

Reaction score
I took the car to the meet in Sacramento last night, which was a lot of fun. Again no one could doubt the odometer. Interesting though, a couple of the guys pointed out that the car still has the original windshield in the car.

Still no serious buyers yet, door is still open. I'll probably list on eBay on Sunday if no one from the forum gets serious.

Shawn

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By original windshield do you mean it still has the breaking in decal in upper left corner? The Inka coupe in Fresno still had one, actually two, had never seen that.

ArtJohnson

Reaction score
Original E9

Totally new to E9's, but many classic BMW's present and past. I have no idea what a reasonable offer might be, but I do like original cars. Willing to learn about a fair price. [email protected].

calshamus

Reaction score
HB Chris, they pointed out there is some kind of seal printed(?) in the glass of the windshield in one of the corners. I believe on the drivers side. It's my first E9, so I'm no expert, I just listen to what I'm told. ;-)

calshamus

Reaction score
HB - no stickers, no roundel. The windshield is printed/etched like all the other glass in the car. Ill post pics soon. I'd like to know. I don't want to claim anything that's inaccurate.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
My early Euro '70 (Vienna delivery) has a SIGLA etching (made in West Germany) in upper driver side.
Rear window has a Dura Glas etching (has defroster) in lower center.

No BMW markings to be found.

I believe these are original. Don't know if Euro cars had different glass than US market cars, think so, but not sure.

Anyone know the answer?
HTH
-shanon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My early Euro '70 (Vienna delivery) has a SIGLA etching (made in West Germany) in upper driver side.
Rear window has a Dura Glas etching (has defroster) in lower center.

No BMW markings to be found.

I believe these are original. Don't know if Euro cars had different glass than US market cars, think so, but not sure.

Anyone know the answer?
HTH
-shanon

Mine has Duro Glass all around except SUglas Kristal in the front windshield. No roundels, but all have DOT numbers so they must be US approved.

calshamus

Reaction score
Arde, that is exactly what I have as well and I just posted the pics a few minutes ago. Check out the picasa link.

So Arde, does that mean it's the original windshield?

Shawn

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like it drives nicely in the video. Is the paint on the trunk by the roundel marred or is that a reflection?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My rear window appears original, not often do these get replaced, but in the center is a Roundel and Sekurit in orange letters. Front window is five years old from dealer and it is also Sekurit with a Roundel but with black letters. Sigla is also common I think but have not heard of Kristal.

calshamus

Reaction score
Nicad it's a reflection. The paint is near perfect with a only few minor chips. It truly is a time capsule.

Last edited: