1973 3.0 CS - 35K miles

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
4 photographs with a 45K BIN is not trying very hard. Sure you want to sell it?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, I see the photos...just woke up when I commented. Good luck with that sale and the acquisition of the Hot Rod replacement.

tmason

Reaction score
It sounded like it sold because he was asking about the garage find earlier today?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI- I wrenched on this over the weekend- looks to have good bones.
Nice car overall.

execmalibu

Reaction score
An ebay buyer flaked?? Impossible! Surely you Jest? You are pulling our leg right?

Very funny...We are not fools! There is absolutely no way you will convince any of us that an ebay buyer went sideways on a deal? That is impossible!

We all know the buyer actually agreed to pay extra because he appreciated how nice the car was...:grin:

Please tell us honestly how much more he paid...

Well it looks my position that ALL the Money for an extremely nice E9 is only in the $18,500-22,000 range is being supported. I hope the buyer does not go sideways on the other E9 from Hunting Ridge that sold today for $19k... I noticed the car is offered at $27,500 on their site...

Damn shame that these E9s are not selling for more isn't it!

I hope the buyer does not go sideways on the other E9 from Huntington Ridge that sold today for $19k...

BTW There are around 5 E9s on ebay right now..

Last edited:

JDJ

Reaction score
I am not sure I would call that "an extremely nice E9." I am not knocking the car at all, I just wouldn't pay up for it on EBay, sight unseen. The automatic is a hassle, for example. The really nice cars done properly and the way you want one so that it is a blast to drive cost what they cost and they are in fact $60,000 plus (and alot more if you do them from a shell). These cars with all the mods aren't ever going to be long hood porsches with high demand and premiums on matching numbers and originality etc. and the public comps just aren't that enlightening as to value. Comparisons to how other marques trade on EBay are somewhat inapposite. I bought a coupe to drive it and it is really so fun to drive. It is very much like a modern car. An old matching numbers 911 S is a very cool car but they suck to drive. They drive like old cars. As cool and beautiful as they are, it is a whole different deal.

execmalibu

Reaction score
JDJ... I own a few Long Hood 911 and my 73 911S is a BLAST to drive...

JDJ,

That Fjord 3.0CS according to all that have seen the car is about as nice as any E9 offered and the ridiculously low milage is something that you can never buy...

I also kind of have to disagree about early 911s not driving well. In fact I think that because the drive so amazing is probably why they are soooo damn valuable... 911s do not Squeak or Rattle and they absolutely NEVER BREAK! I could drive my 1973 911S Targa as a daily driver (except having to feed it) it is very comfortable.

What is very funny is last night we took the GREAT PUMPKIN out to our friends house to go see the new 007 film and when we were all talking about the E9 they asked my wife what she thought about the car... Understand that in the late 1970s my wife had a Malaga 2800CS... To my total surprise she said it is beautiful but they drive like old cars... "Not like an OLD PORSCHE or OLD MERCEDES" she said.

Also the GREAT PUMPKIN is an E9 exactly like you describe having been stripped down to the chassis then TOTALLY restored including having an Injected 3.5 with a (5) Speed installed... Everything on the car is new (Paint, Leather, Rubber, Chrome trim, Full Sound System etc) and everything works (except the heat)... Someone spent around $40,000-$50,000 restoring this car plus the cost of the car...

The GREAT PUMPKIN was offered for sale contiually for (5) months at $28,000 with NO Buyers and the car ended up selling for only half that...

You spend all the money to make an E9 look and drive like it was new and they still do not sell... I just do not for the life of me understand why?:(

Last edited:

JDJ

Reaction score
It may be like lots of other things I buy that go in the wrong direction. I don't think of cars and boats as investments anyway. It is just fun. I hope, like you, that people learn to appreciate the cars and the prices rise. That would be a bonus.

execmalibu

Reaction score
calshamas... Call me I might have a serious buyer...

I was driving the GREAT PUMPKIN today and an old friend and a serious collector saw it parked and was standing next to the car when I came out of the Market...

He said he loved the E9s and wanted me to find one for him...

The last time he said that to me about a Ferrari I put him into Michael Douglas's Ferrari...

Call me (310) 456-8833

Jeff

waynesie

Reaction score
execmalibu and calshamus.....
you guys are a trip.

Both of you have just bought coupes in the upper teens and lower twenties that are in great shape. (yes, other people look at those adds too). Both of you have affected the average purchase value for a coupe..... thanks. Granted, Jeff is trying to corner the market.

If you want the values of coupes to go up both of you two need to buy cars that are grossly over priced to balance out your recent deals.... or just stop buying cars that are a great deal.... please, and leave some for others.

calshamus (Shawn), you should drive your car and enjoy it. Modify it as you want if a coupe is really what you want. If you buy another to modify, you will spend plenty of time and effort to get it to look and feel as nice, why not start ahead. Anyway, it is a stock automatic with carbs. If you keep all of the parts and don't cut the body then it can always be returned. You got a great deal on the car and it is not like you a loosing.

If it is a modified car you want maybe Jeff should trade you for what you want, he has a pile.

Unless you want to build a race car.... and in that case you should start with something else.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Wayne, You are mistaken... I did not buy the GREAT PUMPKIN "in the upper teens"

Wayne,

I already had four E9s and was absolutely NOT in the market for a fifth! I rarely if ever look at Craigs List but on that day things were very slow around here so I was poking around on the internet at about 4:30PM in the Afternoon.

I saw the car listed and it was only 15 minutes away and I loved the Bright Orange color so I drove over to take a look... There was already a guy who is a local European Car Dealer looking at the car when I got there... I figured that the Dealer was going to buy the car and I really did not care... The seller let the two of take the car for a test drive (me Driving) and the dealer (Peter) said that he thought the car was very rough and he was going to PASS... I asked what he thought the car was worth and he said maybe around $10,000.

We took the car back, Peter said to the seller "Thanks... but No Thanks" and left...

I looked more at the car which was filthy and had a bunch of stupid loose ends... I was honestly about to leave and I asked the seller what he meant by "make me an offer" in his listing... He said his "BOSS" wants the car GONE and to make an offer... I Super Low Balled him with a $12,000 offer and to my complete surprise he countered just a little bit higher... Truthfully I would not have paid much more then I did because I already had four...

The car is now in my Garage... Also if the owner had paid to have all of the stupid loose ends taken car of he would have spent at least $1,500-$2,500 because repair shops around LA are stupid expensive with Labor rates in the $125 hour range... I have the expertise and tools to do most repairs here on site...

Wayne, You see a guy selling real $20 Bills for $5... How many would you buy?

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Shawn
I think you should keep the car and do the mods you want to it like Wayne said.To find a car like your's is once in a life time deal and having no rust,and rust is a problem with these cars.If you do convert to a 4 speed you will be the only one to know it was an auto before and drive it as little as possible to kept the miles down and will triple your money someday.My 2 cents.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Tmason... Sorry but you are wrong... The chassis numbers Auto is 225 on a Stick 224

The E9 chassis numbers make it very easy to tell a (4) Speed vs.. an Auto...

The (4) Speed cars are even (224) vs. Auto cars are odd numbers (225)... Plus the tag says 3.0CS and the Autos say 3.0CSA...

tmason

Reaction score
I didn't know that the vin # was for an option on the car.All I was saying that a 4 speed would look more period correct to me and I wouldn't be driving it very much to keep that mileage down for resale.I don't need to worry about it for mine.If I find a cheap 88-89 M5 wrecked this will be my power plant.