1973 BMW 3.0 CSI- Copart

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the left front wheel has been pushed inwards toward the A pillar:
- it looks like the face of the rim is not vertical anymore
- the sill cover and alu trim is pushed / buckled.
- the front fender is also wrinkled between the wheel and the door.
Screenshot_20220502-235204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Now did the front A pillar got displaced? I think yes, as the door doesn't seem to close, nor be able to close. And it is likely also the reason the window popped out or cracked.

I would also question if the strut mount is still in the right location.

Nevertheless, seems savable, but requires quite some work. Hood seems to ok.
Count on New left fender; 2 or 2.5k usd for the part. Inner fender parts around the strut mount; 750.
Strut+ dampers, not sure, 500?
Full nose ( no fenders) 3500-4500 usd.
New front bumper corners 600 usd.
Grilles, lamps, alu trim another 1k.

Unsure: front subframe, hood torsion system, battery tray, A pillar.

I do hope the sills are untouched and rust free....

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the left front wheel has been pushed inwards toward the A pillar:
- it looks like the face of the rim is not vertical anymore
- the sill cover and alu trim is pushed / buckled.
- the front fender is also wrinkled between the wheel and the door.
View attachment 140387

Now did the front A pillar got displaced? I think yes, as the door doesn't seem to close, nor be able to close. And it is likely also the reason the window popped out or cracked.

I would also question if the strut mount is still in the right location.

Nevertheless, seems savable, but requires quite some work. Hood seems to ok.
Count on New left fender; 2 or 2.5k usd for the part. Inner fender parts around the strut mount; 750.
Strut+ dampers, not sure, 500?
Full nose ( no fenders) 3500-4500 usd.
New front bumper corners 600 usd.
Grilles, lamps, alu trim another 1k.

Unsure: front subframe, hood torsion system, battery tray
If the car isn't rusty the body damage will be WAY easier to fix.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This auction has been really strange. First it said Upcoming Auction, then May 2, and now May 4. I think when they found the VIN they started it over for the Wednesday auction.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the sheet metal available in your part of the world? For sure they are hard to come by in Europe.
Or would think it could get hammered back? I for sure couldn't.
Left fender and nose would need to be replaced at a minimum. Right fender is questionable.

m73

Reaction score
As a parts car should be worth about that -- maybe a bit more.....

Reminds me of Mercedes, the accident saves your life & not necessarily allows for the car to be rebuilt. Kind of nice as most would prefer a clean title coupe but......

My .02cents

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure anyone would know it's salvaged unless you tell them. The value is less and will be reflected in the purchase, and then again when resold. The time in between doesn't really matter.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you looking at a different sale?
Hello, we are looking a same car they change the sale date it was on Monday noon now they move it to Wednesday the car is look ok but problem is will be salvage title if you restore this car will cost you 50K plus 10 to 15K to buy the car I wouldn't pay 80 or 90K or even 60K for salvage title car unless buy this car and use the parts to restore another E9 and sale the extra parts that you don't need but fix this car it will be a big loss

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, we are looking a same car they change the sale date it was on Monday noon now they move it to Wednesday the car is look ok but problem is will be salvage title if you restore this car will cost you 50K plus 10 to 15K to buy the car I wouldn't pay 80 or 90K or even 60K for salvage title car unless buy this car and use the parts to restore another E9 and sale the extra parts that you don't need but fix this car it will be a big loss
Salvage cars are not for everyone. I disagree with your numbers. This is a restored car that's damaged. It doesn't need to be restored.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Final bid $44,250.00. $49,889.00 with fees. Export buyer.
How did you get those numbers, did you watch the sale? That's not the numbers I have. Also, my fees would be around $3300 on that sale price with secured funds. Are export fees higher?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure what the transaction fee is except for maybe a broker fee? Interesting that my bid history shows it sold for $21,900. Maybe that was the pre-bid and it didn't update after the sale.

Redrumm3

Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure what the transaction fee is except for maybe a broker fee? Interesting that my bid history shows it sold for $21,900. Maybe that was the pre-bid and it didn't update after the sale.
Yes, $21,900.00 was the pre-bid before the auction started. I'm not sure about the transaction fee as well. I've never had that when I was a bidder. Perhaps they used a proxy bidder or broker in the transaction as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, $21,900.00 was the pre-bid before the auction started. I'm not sure about the transaction fee as well. I've never had that when I was a bidder. Perhaps they used a proxy bidder or broker in the transaction as you mentioned.
Final sale was over 24,000

2002turbo

Reaction score
In CA the hoi poloi can't bid, you have to get a dealer to bid for you. Hence the commish.

I did not like the look of the front wheels, I would say the toe in was about 30 degrees. Suspension mounting points probably badly distorted.