1973 Ceylon CSi on BaT

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the final bidder registers in July, puts a bunch of low bids on like 10 cars, then wins this one at $80K+. Then in the comments, he says he is selling it. I think that CMSCollection doesn’t have faith in the auction process. Would be fun for BaT to run a few IP checks against some key users. Perhaps the buyer will show up here and call me an idiot. I hope so.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
vshamiryan: "IM SELLING IT , ANYONE?"

WTF?

Not surprised he's got buyer's remorse. Interesting also is that he bashed the car about having bondo cracks on the lower part of the doors (there are none). Probably to keep bids low.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It often feels like BaT is becoming an auction block for retailers more than the enthusiast trading it was conceived to be. That coupled with their (so I've heard) aggressive control over reserves, posting timing, etc., it feels like a less and less attractive place to sell a car. Lucky for me, I will never be selling my coupe.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It often feels like BaT is becoming an auction block for retailers more than the enthusiast trading it was conceived to be. That coupled with their (so I've heard) aggressive control over reserves, posting timing, etc., it feels like a less and less attractive place to sell a car. Lucky for me, I will never be selling my coupe.

Doug Demuro has started his own auction site. Will be interesting to see if it gets traction from enthusiasts.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doug Demuro has started his own auction site. Will be interesting to see if it gets traction from enthusiasts.

Bid Garage will have auctions starting August 4.

Some former BaT guys. Deep pockets from what I understand. I helped beta test the auction site for a friend of my son's. BaT may have the critical mass, but competition is good.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

BaT only gets paid if the car sells. Of course they are going to only accept cars with a realistic reserve or no reserve.

eBay will allow you to set any reserve you want. I think it is still a good alternative to BaT IF you include a complete description (including warts) and LOTS of pictures. It does not have the potential buyer interaction with the seller BaT has, however.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bid Garage will have auctions starting August 4.

Some former BaT guys. Deep pockets from what I understand. I helped beta test the auction site for a friend of my son's. BaT may have the critical mass, but competition is good.

sellers pay between 1% and 4% (you choose how much before the auction is live) of the hammer price, with the buyer paying the remainder of our 5% total commission fee.

Interesting.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get back to work! Here's the latest from Dania---Rodney says most of "the jewelry" has been installed. The brown wire is for the 20-watt city light inside the H4 Hella. The blue colored bulb in the clear corner lense turns amber when powered up.

Attachments

• IMG_1708(1).jpg
    IMG_1708(1).jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1714(1).jpg
    IMG_1714(1).jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1707(1).jpg
    IMG_1707(1).jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 152

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
sellers pay between 1% and 4% (you choose how much before the auction is live) of the hammer price, with the buyer paying the remainder of our 5% total commission fee.

Interesting.
BAT used to charge the seller a flat $99 to list their car if accepted,and the buyer pays 5% of the hammer price up to a max of $5K. Have the rules changed?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never mind--I had not read all of these posts about the new auction site. I see they have rules competing with BAT. Note that back in Nov 2018, my car was on BAT and did not meet the seller's reserve. I had submitted a bid and stayed in contact with the seller where we closed the deal on the car. BAT was not involved. I did buy the 1983 BBS wheels in a BAT auction, however.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BidGarage launched their auctions today. Not much competition for BaT at this point, but BaT started slowly also.

A 2002tii roundy is coming in a few days....