1974 BMW CSI 3.0 for sale vin

Fair price?

• More

• Less

Results are only viewable after voting.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
I had plans to restore this car. I bought it out of storage from the owner for 30+ years (25 years or so last reg 1994). Pic the day I took it out of storage and cleaned it up with dish soap. I have had it and been trying to find time to restore it for the past 2.5 years. You can see my initial pics on my profile here. The engine runs. Needs new fuel tank. Odometer shows 62k miles.

The plan originated before i had my first child. Time is the reason Im selling this car, I dont have any additional time. I would have Miklos restore this car and it was my plan but wife wants a bigger house for kid so spending 30-40k to restore is off the table....soo money isnt there either. My loss your gain.
IMG_20140905_112705.jpg
IMG_20140905_152504.jpg
IMG_20140905_163650.jpg
IMG_20140905_164209.jpg
IMG_20140905_164635.jpg
IMG_20140905_165604.jpg
IMG_20140920_135816.jpg
P1010075.JPG
P1010086.JPG
3 0 csi 003.jpg
Skinned Shock2.jpg
rust1.jpg

There is rust damage to the front right shock tower/wing skin, floorboards and rockers. Other than that i havent found anything critical. No the above pic is not the frame crumbling..it is the rust damage from the shock tower crack. Previous owner said he hit a cinder block in the road and put the car in storage in the 93 ish timeframe. This is the main and only area I see damage. Rust is shock front right, rt wing, floorboards and rockers. Trunk and rear is clean.

Car can be offered with or without momo elite steering wheel. Car is located in san diego ca. No the wheel is not for sale without car. Was hoping to get 10-15k for it. What do you think? [email protected] for questions if no response.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
hmmm ... that looks like a petri wheel, not a momo. the good news is that is worth substantially more.
Thanks for the response. I thought it was a petri..but everyone is trying to tell me its a momo elite. It came with the car..ill keep it if I can.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i could be wrong, but it looks like a petri. look on the back it should have a number such as 38 or 40 on the spokes - 380mm diam or 400mm diameter.

Wladek

Reaction score
Thanks will check when im back in town. ON the road in nor cal now.
Don't have to - it's Petri 40cm; Momo never had such conical hubs. I think only horn button might be wrong, but maybe i just can't see well.
If you want to sell the car - keep Petri & sell it separately. I think in US you should be good with 700$ up even without genuine horn button.
The turbine wheels (later E23) - are not any great value.

Last edited:

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Don't have to - it's Petri 40cm; Momo never had such conical hubs. I think only horn button might be wrong, but maybe i just can't see well.
If you want to sell the car - keep Petri & sell it separately. I think in US you should be good with 700$ up even without genuine horn button.
The turbine wheels (later E23) - are not any great value.

Thanks for the info. I have an offer for 600$ on it with a stock e9 csi replacement wheel added to the offer. I kind of like the wheel. Not sure if ill sell it.

Wladek

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have an offer for 600$ on it with a stock e9 csi replacement wheel added to the offer. I kind of like the wheel. Not sure if ill sell it.
If it have genuine horn button 1k $ is reasonable price, stock wheel is ca. 50-200$ depend on condition.

If i can add something about a car value:
- CSI is big +
- colour +
- that kind of rust is big -
- no original interior almost at all is big -
- other parts missing is -

update some photo's of the engine - because the vote is not reliable without them.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the Petri spokes are pimpled or foam cracking/missing chunks (can't tell in pics), then I would say it's not worth near 1k.

If it have genuine horn button 1k $ is reasonable price, stock wheel is ca. 50-200$ depend on condition.

Wladek

Reaction score
If the Petri spokes are pimpled or foam cracking/missing chunks (can't tell in pics), then I would say it's not worth near 1k.
Yes, you are right - if the wheel have rust or foam cracks it is not worth 1k $, but something around 300-400$
But if somebody already offered owner 600 + stock wheel, i assume condition is not so bad. But that is only my theory.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it’s worth $10K in parts if it has D-Jet. I am willing to break that number down to conservative parts prices if needed.

As a whole car, I think it’s worth $15K+. It cleaned up nice but that is unfortunately meaningless since it will need paint anyway.

FYI - For anyone interested in the car. I have a CSI tank and I am working on NOS inner fenders (if my friend doesn’t need them).

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Yes, you are right - if the wheel have rust or foam cracks it is not worth 1k $, but something around 300-400$
But if somebody already offered owner 600 + stock wheel, i assume condition is not so bad. But that is only my theory.
Its been in storage for 25+ years so its minimal use. Looks clean.
Ill add some engine pics....and better petri pic.

Paul
P1010148.JPG
IMG_20140920_161026.jpg
P1010151.JPG

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
I talked to Miklos at CSL Garage Hungary he agrees that this is a great restoration candidate. His estimates are full frame off 15k + parts that cant be salvaged 12k paint and reassemble. Then shipping etc. Cant find a good shipper from ca to hungary. I have interior guys that could handle a really nice interior for 5k (wouldnt be all original)....but alas..i have to sell it.

Makes me sad...i wanted to drive this car.

Wladek

Reaction score
Petri have no cracks and rust, have genuine horn and hub - so as was written 1k $.
Looking at engine - still have D-jet, so as Markos wrote it is +
If you can - check if engine have same Vin as body - if it matching numbers will be also +'

To be true - body is in shi.y condition. Good body is at least 70% of value.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Petri have no cracks and rust, have genuine horn and hub - so as was written 1k $.
Looking at engine - still have D-jet, so as Markos wrote it is +
If you can - check if engine have same Vin as body - if it matching numbers will be also +'

To be true - body is in shi.y condition. Good body is at least 70% of value.

It is in bad condition. Miklos said he would cut front wings and restore..and it would drive forever no rust(permitting i didnt crash it). 15k fram off treated and looking like this
CSI CLean.jpg
+ parts...after detailed pics undercarriage etc he thinks we need floorboards, rockers, and front right wing.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
The engine and body have same numbers. :) The wheel is original petri no cracks. The body is salvageable. The trunk is clean no rust...everything looks achievable for a restoration. All original lights and covers. My plan was to put 35-40k into it and have a 50k + car. But wife wants a bigger yard..and car not so much :(

P

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You may be able to save that front fender win an affordable w&n patch. I think it depends on the amount of filler up top.

You clearly need floors. You can see the ground in the interior shot.

I would snap a pic of the passengers foot well as if you were looking at the tire. Snap a pic of the firewall above the glove box and the fuse box. A pic of the each inner rear wheel wells as seen from inside the car, near the subframe mounts.