4310316 begins

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
AFTER A BIT OF THOUGHT A SOLINOID WONT HELP AS I SHORTED THE
STARTER WITH A SCREWDRIVER DIRECTAND IT STILL JUSTCLICKED.

You should buy the sr-444 starter, just to rule out if your current starter is okay or not.
I can promise you that the compression isn't the problem, it's definitely something else.
A stock everyday euro M30B34 has 10:1, your engine is at 11:1, I hope you understand that 11:1 isn't radical in any kind of way.

Start with a fresh starter.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
ive been researching the hi torque starter option and they are too expensive to consider at 300
my starter works just fine as i tested it well.
if i remove two spark plugs it turns over great
any way ill get the sr444 and post back when installed
is the sr41 x the same?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We have recommended the SR-441 remanufactured starter. They have a smaller case and a permanent magnet, you can ask them to confirm.

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bad brushes?
I think there are four of them.
Not sure if this would cause clicking.

- S

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
all is well with the existing starter
its just the compression -theres nothing else that would cause this
as i said if i pull one plug it tries to turn over
yet pull two and it turns over just as normal
so i ordered the sr41 be here on tuesday
darnit i want my running on the road
least i dont have to deal with the screwed up smog garbage

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My opinion/theory, your starter is bad. If it doesn't have enough torque to turn over the engine (it has been stated that 11:1 compression is not extraneous), then it doesn't meet appropriate specification for a functioning starter. Either that or perhaps something else is out of alignment (timing, etc) with the engine. I wish you luck regardless.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
You've had half a dozen extremely knowledgeable people tell you it has nothing to do with your compression and its the starter. But because it's a couple hundred bucks, you don't want to believe it. How many hours of your time have you spent messing with this? Somebody please send Alan and old starter and put this topic to bed.

day66

Reaction score
To be fair it could also be a rubbish battery and/or cables too, but as an owner of a S38 powered car, they spin over just fine when everything is good.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
all is well with the existing starter
its just the compression -theres nothing else that would cause this
as i said if i pull one plug it tries to turn over
yet pull two and it turns over just as normal
so i ordered the sr41 be here on tuesday
darnit i want my running on the road
least i dont have to deal with the screwed up smog garbage
Alan,

all i think this tells me, and should tell you, is that the current starter is not powerful enough ... it has lost its effectiveness. here's my premise - put a wrench on the crank with all of the plugs in and try to turn the motor with the wrench. its damn difficult. remove half of plugs and its much easier with the wrench. yes @day66 could be correct, it could be cables or a combination of cables and starter ... but you will be much better off in the long run with the new style starter - smaller, lighter and more powerful. when you remove the starter, check all of the cables to make sure there are no cracks and no corrosion.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
From my experience, when a starter goes bad, it usually doesn't just "die".
It dies by turning over slower - and slower - over a long period of time - until it doesn't turn the engine fast enough to start anymore.
Replacing starters is common on the BMW M57 diesels (3.0L, straight 6, compression ratio 18:1), especially during the winter over here. It's always the same story, the starter gets bad over such a long period of time that you don't even notice how slow the starter spins even if you're an enthusiast and have a "motor ear". Suddenly the car won't start, so first instinct is to go get a new battey - car starts again - for a couple of days until it won't again.
Then you replace the starter and it's insane how fast the new starter spins compared to the old worn out one - engine starts immediately when you push the button.

Who knows how old your current starter is Alan? Maybe it was worn even before the compression got upped and with new tight tolerances in a fresh engine?
Letting it sit several years isn't helping the starter either.
You've checked the cables, connections, grounds and batteries earlier in this thread. The engine spins with sparkplugs removed, and the pistons doesn't hit the plugs.
Common sense says it's the starter.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW - @aearch dis state that he ordered N SR-41x starter. I would have gotten a newer dimensionally smaller starter like the 441x. I’m pretty sure the 41x is the same big old starters as found on the early m30, but from the e28 era.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW - @aearch dis state that he ordered N SR-41x starter. I would have gotten a newer dimensionally smaller starter like the 441x. I’m pretty sure the 41x is the same big old starters as found on the early m30, but from the e28 era.
right there with you Markos ... the sr 41 from autohauzaz is 103 bucks plus 25 core. it is the remanufactured version of the original starter

he could have bought a sr 441x from fcp euro for 137 bucks - send his old one back his old one to avoid core charge

or the sr 444x (850ci) from autohausaz for 115 bucks - 50 bucks core charge

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I JUST RECEIVED THE SR41X AS THATS LISTED IN REFERENCE TO THE SR444
SO ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.
IS THIS AS GOOD AS THE 444X
THE 44X DOEST FIT THE M5 CHECK IT ONLINE YOULL SEE
THE 441X WONT FIT THE M5
I HAVE THE RIGHT ONE

Attachments