5 speed 265 transmission issue OD version

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The trouble with buying used transmissions is just that, they are used hit and miss You might get lucky and have a look inside the box thru the drain or filler plug with a boroscope with a small head but that won't tell you the shape of the bearings Years ago ,I was the only one aa very big BMW dealership ( biggest one in Vancouver, BC, Canada ) that did the 5 speed box's, no one else would or wanted to touch them, complicated to do properly and a lot of special tools to do the RIGHT

Parts are the next big problem but there is a fellow that is supplying new worm and gear part for overhauling the 2002 steering boxes, both std and close ratio. \i wonder if he would be interested in making 5 speed gears? I have talked to him a couple of times regarding the steering boxes might be worth the time to have a conversation with him about gears

Thanks, Rick

Rick - I swapped the steering box on my e39 540 to go to the closer ratio M5 box, and I really liked that change. I would enjoy a similar change in my coupe.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Sorry not to respond sooner but I am not as frequent a What he/we want is one thing, but shipping to the other side of the world is quite another.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got lots of good feedback from the forum. Considering it I decided why not take the tranny apart its an E9 experience! I found the attached address very helpful to provide useful details on the diss-assembly and re assembly of the 265/6. It's not too difficult to at least make a visual inspection most of the special tools referenced can be made from repurposing current tools. It's a learning experience!

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got lots of good feedback from the forum. Considering it I decided why not take the tranny apart its an E9 experience! I found the attached address very helpful to provide useful details on the diss-assembly and re assembly of the 265/6. It's not too difficult to at least make a visual inspection most of the special tools referenced can be made from repurposing current tools. It's a learning experience!

very handy. Thanks for posting and let’s us know how you get on.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The 5 speed rebuild is complete built some special tools to separate the front and rear sections had a lot of fun figuring where the shift rods are positioned relative tot he second gear which is essential for reassembly. Reattached all the bits and pieces and gave it a test drive - shifts smooth as silk and quiet. Spedo is functional.

One anomaly is when the engine fired up the tach does not work and its running really rough will not rev up at all - have not touched the engine in 4 months if anyone has a best guess to this it is appreciated - last time I ran it all was perfect!!

Attachments

• DS.jpg
    DS.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Tranny.jpg
    Tranny.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 87

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Create a sep. thread for your running bad issue.

Check your points if you still have them. Also a bad plug wire.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fuel separation/bad fuel would be my first guess. I zip tied my speedo cable to the tranny bracket to tuck it up closer to the body.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 5 speed rebuild is complete built some special tools to separate the front and rear sections had a lot of fun figuring where the shift rods are positioned relative tot he second gear which is essential for reassembly. Reattached all the bits and pieces and gave it a test drive - shifts smooth as silk and quiet. Spedo is functional.

One anomaly is when the engine fired up the tach does not work and its running really rough will not rev up at all - have not touched the engine in 4 months if anyone has a best guess to this it is appreciated - last time I ran it all was perfect!!
What was actually replaced in your trans?

Last edited: