5 speed 265 transmission issue OD version

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am getting additional photos but the problem is the corrosion has progressed below the case hardening of the gears in some places and if I repaired it will not last long. So yes again looking for a replacement solution. I tried Mr. Taylor as suggested no reply as yet. As I recall the trans can come out of 1985 535i or a 1980-82 528. Any leads appreciated shipping not an issue.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread lists the cars with the 265/6

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can also check the ratio on the gears. It is possible that you have crossover with a 260 for example. I have no idea but it is worth checking.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I found three for sale on the east coast two at $1500 one is $1900

1612630555059.png
1612630555059.png
1612630555059.png

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In process of teardown to rebuild. Another great adventure.
Not sure I would attempt that. Special tools and as mentioned parts availability.
A company called Metric Mechanic in Memphis is currently the only one I know that can rebuild. $4000???
There was a guy named Jim Blanton that used to to this but haven't heard anything about him in years.
I would source another before I went down the rebuild path.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jim Blanton has retired from rebuilding transmissions due to the scarcity and high cost of parts. I appreciate your candor and advice.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Several years ago I rented a Spece30 from the guys at Drivegear just to give it a try. Andrew Zimmerman, who is part owner of the place, told me that their main business is rebuilding 4 speeds for BMWs. When I asked about the five speeds, his reply was "can't get parts."

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI My mechanic had a look at the 265 gearboxes for sale on eBay and he said to pass on them. So if anyone does hear or know of a decent 5 speed available, please DM me.

Thanks all. M

stphers

Reaction score
The trouble with buying used transmissions is just that, they are used hit and miss You might get lucky and have a look inside the box thru the drain or filler plug with a boroscope with a small head but that won't tell you the shape of the bearings Years ago ,I was the only one aa very big BMW dealership ( biggest one in Vancouver, BC, Canada ) that did the 5 speed box's, no one else would or wanted to touch them, complicated to do properly and a lot of special tools to do the RIGHT

Parts are the next big problem but there is a fellow that is supplying new worm and gear part for overhauling the 2002 steering boxes, both std and close ratio. \i wonder if he would be interested in making 5 speed gears? I have talked to him a couple of times regarding the steering boxes might be worth the time to have a conversation with him about gears

Thanks, Rick

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s the bearings that are NLA.
20 ton press to work on them
cost of repair and no bearings means toss in trash when they need work.
Rick has a point- it’s hit or miss buying an unvetted OD.
I got two from the boneyard this week.
528e and a 733i
most yards have pickers!

Attachments

• E7A6AB9C-49F5-412A-AAE0-2B8D0014E8EA.png
    E7A6AB9C-49F5-412A-AAE0-2B8D0014E8EA.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 137