'67 2000CS resto...Papa's Church Car

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many of you have seen my '67 2000CS and know the back story found here: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/formal-intro-67-2000cs-now-in-the-austin-texas-area.23866/

The tear down and restoration of the paint and interior started in earnest a few weeks back. My good friend Barney Toler invited me to bring the car over to his personal shop where we could disassemble the car and perform any rust repairs and such. Barney has all the stuff to accomplish most any repairs and I was humbled at the invite for such a big project, knowing it would take up space for several months. Barney insisted and off we went.

September 8:

After 9 months of acquiring parts and lining up experts to help... the resto began in earnest yesterday afternoon. Barney graciously offered a space at his personal shop, tools, and his good humor so that I could begin the restoration. This '67 was redone back in the '80s in San Francisco, then it spent 30+ years baking in the sun of Albuquerque, NM. The plan is for new paint and interior....sooooo, everything has to be removed if this is to be done correctly. We pounced all over it and knocked a good bit of it out today with massive assistance from Barney and good guy, Greg Resa. Trim is off, lights out, doors gutted, most of the interior is out. We'll be back at it again this weekend, but I'm thrilled to have the project off to a good start. Everything we've inspected so far is very dry and rust free. I am very thankful for such a good car.

Day 1, Barney's place.jpeg Day 1 rear windows.jpeg Day 1 gutted.jpeg Day 1, trim off.jpeg Day 1, lights out.jpeg

Over the next week or so we were able to spend more time on the car and pulled the engine/transmission out the next weekend.
engine pulled.jpg engine out.jpg

Also got the dash out and the rest of the interior.

under dash.jpg gauge pod out.jpg passenger compartment.jpg trunk.jpg

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The subframes came out a couple weeks ago and the undercarriage was degreased and pressure washed.
subframes out.jpg undercarriage cleaned II.jpg undercarriage cleaned.jpg

Over the last weekend I cut out the bubbled outer rockers to see what else might be lurking underneath... thankfully, there isn't much in the way of deep, structural rust. I'll cut out some small areas and gusset them. Mostly, what I have found is outer skin rust and two floor pans. Walloth & Nesch have most of the patch panels for the early Coupe, but not all of it. The later e9 has it's differences and I can make due with some of the material, but not all the contours are the same. I will be able to make due...
driver floor pans.jpg drivers front rocker.jpg drivers rear rockers.jpg passenger front rocker.jpg passenger rear fender lip.jpg passenger rear rocker.jpg

The plan now is to wire wheel the inner rockers, treat them with rust converter, and etch-prime them. I'll fit the new panels and weld everything back as good as we can make it. Plug welding back into the inner rockers wherever possible. I'll treat all the inner rockers with epoxy primer/rust preventer as best I can.

As best I can inspect, the A-pillars and rear pillars are mostly solid; enough to where I can remove a small amount of rot and gusset the area without removing the entire panel.

Now that everything is exposed, I can seriously treat all the trouble spots and be able to put it all back together knowing everything has been addressed. I have piles of parts from W&N and Eastwood to keep me busy for several weekends, that's for sure. In the meantime, seats will be sent to the upholstery shop and I can also address cleaning up the subframes and replacing a couple of worn out bushings.

Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead!

Ed Z

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From the papers and receipts from the the POs, the u-joints were replaced and only have 20,000 miles on them. They are tight and have grease zerks, so I'll keep them as is for now.

Ed

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ed,

The issue is usually the outer sliding joint, it has needle bearings which are long ago NLA. I think the boot may be available but it was NLA as well. I wrote a FAQ article on replacing the boots a few years ago.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ahhhh. I appreciate the heads up, Chris. I'll take a good look at all of it. I'll put CV joints on the radar...

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Unique" .... that applies to just about everything on these early Coupes. :)

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Many of you have seen my '67 2000CS and know the back story found here: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/formal-intro-67-2000cs-now-in-the-austin-texas-area.23866/

The tear down and restoration of the paint and interior started in earnest a few weeks back. My good friend Barney Toler invited me to bring the car over to his personal shop where we could disassemble the car and perform any rust repairs and such. Barney has all the stuff to accomplish most any repairs and I was humbled at the invite for such a big project, knowing it would take up space for several months. Barney insisted and off we went.

September 8:

After 9 months of acquiring parts and lining up experts to help... the resto began in earnest yesterday afternoon. Barney graciously offered a space at his personal shop, tools, and his good humor so that I could begin the restoration. This '67 was redone back in the '80s in San Francisco, then it spent 30+ years baking in the sun of Albuquerque, NM. The plan is for new paint and interior....sooooo, everything has to be removed if this is to be done correctly. We pounced all over it and knocked a good bit of it out today with massive assistance from Barney and good guy, Greg Resa. Trim is off, lights out, doors gutted, most of the interior is out. We'll be back at it again this weekend, but I'm thrilled to have the project off to a good start. Everything we've inspected so far is very dry and rust free. I am very thankful for such a good car.

View attachment 31885 View attachment 31884 View attachment 31883 View attachment 31887 View attachment 31886

Over the next week or so we were able to spend more time on the car and pulled the engine/transmission out the next weekend.
View attachment 31889 View attachment 31894

Also got the dash out and the rest of the interior.

View attachment 31898 View attachment 31895 View attachment 31896 View attachment 31897

Ed
Hi Ed. Congrats on the 2000cs. Looks like a winner.
I need a favor. I lost my copy of the instructions for dash removal and need a copy for a member.
Can you make a copy and send it to:
James White
763 Rock Eagle Ct.
Stone Mountain,Ga. 30083
Thanks so much.
Harry

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I need a favor. I lost my copy of the instructions for dash removal and need a copy for a member.
Can you make a copy and send it to:

Harry... I don't know if you sent me that? I don't see it in any emails, or PMs....if you mailed it, I'll have to dig around for it.

Ed

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Harry... I don't know if you sent me that? I don't see it in any emails, or PMs....if you mailed it, I'll have to dig around for it.

Ed
Hi Ed, yes I mailed it,but don't worry about it. I will search for my copy.
Thanks
Harry

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Been out of town too much lately, but finally got some good time on the CS today. Floor patches started then on to the rockers.
IMG_8594.JPG

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

I finally got some MIG time
IMG_0032.jpeg

Huge thanks to Barney. None of this would be possible without him.

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rear panel tacked in today...then ran outta wire. Darnit... will finish that tomorrow.

IMG_8611.JPG

Glad to be making good progress.

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finally back on the car today. Chassis dolly complete. Doors off. Rockers completely cut out and prefit the driver's side replacement rocker.
Peter C stopped by to give the car a look-over. Gave me some good pointers and we discussed our plan of attack. ...a very productive day.

IMG_8716.JPG

IMG_8727.JPG

IMG_8723.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

Hope to knock a lot out next week during the days off.

Ed

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Ed,
The way you're going should be in a show n about 3 weeks.
I got the info on zinc coating of the headlight reflectors. My son said he believes the large ones cost $60 each and the small ones were $40 each.
New England Chrome Plating in Ct.
Happy Holidays

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI, I have had quite a bit of zinc plating done at a place in Grand Junction CO including my headlight surrounds
I don't think they were that much
you might check them out, Precision Metal Finishing

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. The Euro lights on the early car have a completely different kinda bucket, but there's plenty that could get anodized, otherwise.

Busy day... repaired some rusty sections in the inner rockers, added some gussets over some pin holes. Fitted the outer rockers and have the driver's side installed. Passenger side will go on in the morning.

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8748.JPG

Perfect weather and should stay that way until this panel replacement is finished in a couple days.

More tomorrow

Ed