'73 3.0CS frame off resto update

dhanna

Reaction score
I purchased my first rotisserie! Should be picking it up from my local freight terminal next week! I'm so excited! What herbs and spices should I use?! Jk

I've reinstalled the doors and the gaps don't seem to have changed our shifted thankfully.
But is there any recommendations for how to brace things?
I'll be joining the two dollys I made and extending pick up points out to both ends to pick up the rotisserie but should I also add temporary bracing across the interior?
If bracing is required; What gauge wall thickness of square tubing should I use? What dimension? 1x1 or 2x2? Or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pat cooks

Reaction score
the underseal you are trying to remove is from memory hot sprayed nylon so quite inert and very tough, personally I have only removed it from damaged areas as whatever you replace it with will unlikely be as tough,

dhanna

Reaction score
the underseal you are trying to remove is from memory hot sprayed nylon so quite inert and very tough, personally I have only removed it from damaged areas as whatever you replace it with will unlikely be as tough,

Is it tougher than Line-X? It was my plan to spray Line-X.

pat cooks

Reaction score
In the UK we don't have a great demand for bed liners but I just looked it up, as it is a two part polyurathane product it sounds very useful, one big issue is that you don't want anything that sets solid, you need some flexibility to deflect stones rather than chip away, the original stays flexible after 50 years! a lot of "underseals" continue to dry out over time and eventually chip or flake off, I once looked at a very original white 3.0csa that lived up a long gravel drive so the owner "improved" it by undersealing the whole of the underside black, it looked awful and did nothing to protect it long term, would have taken days to remove it all!

dhanna

Reaction score
This Saturday is the day! Off to San Diego dustless blasting. Also I picked up my rotisserie this last Tuesday.

While the car is at the blaster I'll be cleaning and wiping down the garage in preparation to paint in PPG epoxy primer.

My paint code is 37 Fjord blue. Should I go with grey primer or white?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This Saturday is the day! Off to San Diego dustless blasting. Also I picked up my rotisserie this last Tuesday.

While the car is at the blaster I'll be cleaning and wiping down the garage in preparation to paint in PPG epoxy primer.

My paint code is 37 Fjord blue. Should I go with grey primer or white?

I don't have much to add here, but your garage paint job and mention of the wipe down reminded me of this video that I just watched. A few good tricks for dust mitigation. They hang fresh plastic in the paint booth as dust is attracted due to the static cling. They also wet down the floor with water.

I suspect that there is a lot of stuff that paint experts would still critique, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

dhanna

Reaction score
Love that channel on YouTube been watching in preparation for this sandblast job.

Does primer color decision play a factor in the final paint color result?

dhanna

Reaction score
"Get a rotisserie" they said "it'll be fun!" They said...

fa0b0311ad43a1b5d4cf51ad330866f4.jpg

dhanna

Reaction score
It was an eBay special model number is cr-3000.
Sand blasting was delayed for logistical issues I'll try again to get the car blasted this week.
In other great news the 72 Bavaria I bought yielded some treats this clutch pedal among several other things

c3e880e78b4791829ef2adc72777dca1.jpg

Here are some videos about mounting an e9 to the cr-3000

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these videos. It elevates my anticipation for strapping my car to a rotisserie soon (the longest interpretation of soon). Different from these two examples, I plan to make a continuous frame/platform that is under the car about 12". This will provide stability, accuracy (using the manufacturer's chassis dimensional data), and should eliminate the need for a tube passing through the window openings. Looking forward to learning about how you tackle it.

dhanna

Reaction score
I still haven't decided which approach I'll take on mounting to the rotisserie. My engineer's brain is not 100% convinced that the full length beams along the under-carriage will alleviate the issue that the e9 restorer in the video solved with the cross beam through the window openings.

Here is a link to an eBay listing if your interested in the cr-3000 rotisserie. I think it's the best price on a rotisserie.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292774854109

dhanna

Reaction score
Spent the whole day reorganising the garage was able to fit both halves of the rotisserie but still need to get rid of a few things...
Is anyone on here restoring an automatic and needs some of the specific parts?
e8161c5f7a159ed5dfacd035d48ee46e.jpg

dhanna

Reaction score
If I mount my e9 to this cr3000 can I use 2 in sq 11ga wall tubing? Or is that too weak? Can I mitigate by adding cross members? So picture a 20 for long ladder about the width of the front frame rails.

dhanna

Reaction score
Hi all,

been quite a while more health troubles sidelined me but I'm mended now and back to trying to get this restoration moving again
I still haven't stripped the shell off all it's paint and rust but I have some time off from work and I'm gonna try again to get this project moving again.

I used a cheapo endoscope (butt camera) from amazon to look inside the rockers. to my dismay there is some pretty aggressive rust. Ignorance is bliss I suppose... but at least I know. should I replace the rockers before or after sand blasting?
I also wanted to get this thing up on a rotisserie however can't seem to find any two sources that agree on the best way to to do this on the CR-3000 rotisserie. I want to mount it from 4 spots without using the differential mounting pad.so if I create a frame that ties the front sub-frame mounts to threar and hang that from the rotisserie would that work? I'll brace the cabin to keep things aligned and replace the rockers on both sides I think. Should I not have looked inside the rockers? lol over all I feel like this is a VERY solid car maybe I just coat the insides with POR-15? the car is down to a bare shell right now might as well do it right while I'm here. sorry for the stream of consciousness...
might get the motor out for rebuild early next month.

any thread links that deal specifically with mounting to a rotisserie?
1585193706610.png
1585193738858.png
1585193768168.png
1585193788543.png
1585193662643.png1585193706610.png1585193738858.png1585193768168.png1585193788543.png

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions directly, but in my experience of looking at a lot of cars, I would say that the rust you have found is typical of the vast majority of cars when examined with a borescope. Of all the cars online (bringatrailer.com) that sell for good money, many of them are sold with no evidence that the sort of rust that you have found has been addressed. So don't feel too bad.