80% Humidity and nowhere to hide!

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And ... there is the notion of paying for climate controlled car storage facilities with drive in/out privileges. I’m guessing $150/month, which is real $$.
That's what I pay for the spaces I rent from my neighbors in Switzerland... climate controlled storage (nearest 20 miles away in Luzern) goes for $500-1,000 a month!:confused:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
and a car bubble ? i once had it ( small model ) for my Harley Davidson in a "wet" garage during winter .... worked fine . You need of course a power source for the little ventilator (s) ….

carcoon.jpg

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can get away with discretely plugging in a dehumidifier, but the neighbors might object to the months-long power consumption! :rolleyes:

steely dan

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind an E24 (but hopefull future E9 ) owner chipping in .......
I'm in SW Ireland where the problem is damp , lots of it , and although my garage is well insulated a damp film can quickly be found on everything when the doors are opened on such a wet day.
I purchased an Airchamber https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/ some twenty years ago now and can honestly say that it was the best money I ever spent on my classic car ownership. It is relatively expensive but as has been said, so are rust repairs . In the years of ownership of the E24 I find that it never suffers condensation/ dampness on the car or chamber interior surfaces , even with the twin filtered fans switched off ,and the running costs are infinitesimal. The advantage that the Airchamber has over the Carcoon bubble type is access , no deflation is required to gain access to the car .
Well worth considering .
Good luck
DSCF8326-Large.jpg

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score

steely dan

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome.

Can you drive out/in of that air chamber thing w/o deflating the whole thing?

Yep . On the previous photo you can see the heavy duty vertical zips ( in red ) and along the bottom is industrial quality velcro. Both sides of the chamber have this facility allowing access to the car by simply unzipping and detaching the velcro and folding the heavy gauge plastic onto the roof of the structure .
The access has the same design at one end as shown here .
012-Large.jpg

The skeletal frame is made from strong plastic colour coded rods that interlink into each other with elastic banding sewn through them . There has been no deterioration in the frame in all the years I've owned it ,it's still rigid and as new .
It's pretty straightforward to dismantle and rebuild it but it's not a ten minute job to do and when you do it you'll vividly remember what it was like in your mothers womb ..........

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that is really cool ... seems like a great device. would be great to just keep things off of the car in general

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suppose that’s one big plus of being in the Coachella Valley, humidity not really a concern here. However not sure how happy the E9 would be in a non climate controlled garage that gets to 110 degrees all summer. At least it’s out of the sun....

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A friend of mine says: "Sometimes Life gives you just what you need."

A neighbor gave me a heads up about a single garage available just behind my apartment, less than 100 meters away... Got it!

Newly painted, nice and clean, and since the sun hits it most of the day, dry. Electric door and a working light! :p

I just missed getting one with a 6 sq. meter workroom attached at the back end. I've got dibs in if one comes available.

IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The best thing is that drain in the floor. You may want to consider a small dehumidifier that dumps into that drain.
Yup! I was thinking I would have to drain out the door, but there it is! The search is on for a dehumidifier! That said, humidity is much better now, at around 50%. I think we're through the wettest months.

The new electric door even has rubber seals that mate up pretty decently on the vertical edges. I just have to close a 3 cm gap along the bottom edge with a foam strip.