A/C Install in a CSi

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im about to give up. I cant get power to the switch. The circled wire doesnt have power, but fuse 8 and 9 both show 12v. To make matters worse, while hunting down the AC relays I seem to have killed power to the electric choke...

ACCircuit.jpg

Last edited:

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the relay (Load Shedding Relay) that appears to be in the AC circuit on pre-74 cars. (Jim at Mesa lent it to me.) I am guessing this is #5 in the wiring diagram previously posted. But there is nothing near my fuse box that looks anything like this. This relay is a monster and Id certainly see it.

Anybody with a 74 know what became of this relay that the pre-74s seem to have ?

LSR.jpg

Last edited:

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got it working.

That monster relay was replaced with a modern, small relay on 74s (mine at least). It is in a row of 5 relays above the hood release. It is the second relay counting from the front of the car, back.

2800cs

Reaction score
Little bit of an old thread!! But since you have experience with installing this unit, I was hoping you could help me answer a question about the drain!

It it possible for me to lift out the box without disconnecting the refrigerant lines?

My drain is extremely plugged and it constantly fills with water. I dont want to disconnect them or take them to be disconnected. Its an R12 system that is working well and I dont want to disrupt that.

I have put the coat hanger through the hole above the trans tunnel many times now and its not working.

Bwana

Reaction score
I doubt it. I did a number of "trial fits" on my system and IIRC, it was quiet an exercise to get it in and out along with the control assembly.

But I could be wrong. What's wrong with disconnecting them? Should be a no-brainer for a shop with the vacuum recovery system and the right tools (don't go to somebody that doesn't have both). Only problem might be the seals in the fittings but you can always have the fittings replaced with something modern

2800cs

Reaction score
Thanks!

Other than the drain problem which pops up all the time... the a/c works flawlessly. I have issues with opening up a good working system... even with the shop. Somehow... someway something never quite works out... and a/c work here where im at is pricey. Even more so since its still r12.

Im going to make my own drain... this one appears to be substandard as it seems to plug up for a lot of people!

Good luck with your A/C install! and thank you!!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I had my tranny out I found a hose that fit the evap drain perfectly and put a little epoxy on the outside of the hose and glued it up into the unit. The hose sticks out about 1/2" down from the floor and above the tranny. Drains perfectly with no condensate getting into the cabin floor.

Thanks!

Other than the drain problem which pops up all the time... the a/c works flawlessly. I have issues with opening up a good working system... even with the shop. Somehow... someway something never quite works out... and a/c work here where im at is pricey. Even more so since its still r12.

Im going to make my own drain... this one appears to be substandard as it seems to plug up for a lot of people!

Good luck with your A/C install! and thank you!!!