A/C Replacement

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
I'm usually a stickler for originality, but the A/C in my 3.0 CS has always been suboptimal and has been worked on innumerable times. Has anyone ever had success replacing the original setup with something more modern that will actually pump out cold air and not pull so hard on the engine? I know the car is a greenhouse with the windows and there are only two center vents, but there has to be a better solution than the original setup.

There might be threads out there discussing this but I couldn't find them; if there are and someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This might help you with everything except the evaporator, not many options there due to the tight fit, @Luis A. has been doing some research into that.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
This might help you with everything except the evaporator, not many options there due to the tight fit, @Luis A. has been doing some research into that.

Thanks very much for the thread, I appreciate it and it definitely gives me hope!

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I completed this conversion about a year ago. Attached is a list of the hose fittings, hoses, condenser coil and compressor part numbers and cost at that time. I used the same conversion bracket as shown in the threads. I had some old R12 and used this changed the compressor oil and it works very good. To fabricate the hoses I purchased the end fittings and some cheap clear plastic hose to arrive at the hose cut lengths (think twice cut once) and it came out great. The only part that I caution is once the new compressor is installed with belt the compressor pully is fairly close to radiator lower hose. To remedy this took some repositioning of the compressor mounting bracket and move the radiator as far toward the passenger side as possible. Got lots of photos of this conversion if you need.

Attachments

• 1973 BMW E9 AC CONVERSION COMPONENTS $.pdf
    736.8 KB · Views: 361
  • cond coil3.jpg
    cond coil3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses.pdf
    316 KB · Views: 248

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I'll pass this along to the guy that I've asked about doing the conversion and see what he thinks.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Looking at your parts list, the compressor you used got a one-star rating from someone. I'm assuming you're happy with it?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
thousands and thousands have used Sanden compressors. Don't be fooled because of ONE rating.

Do not buy copies/fakes/clone Sandens. Buy the real thing.

jmackro

Reaction score
I only replaced my original York compressor with a more modern rotary style, and it made a tremendous difference. However, I live in a cool & dry climate; I'm not sure how effective it would be in Atlanta. You may need to upgrade the under-dash components to fit a larger evaporator and blower.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
I completed this conversion about a year ago. Attached is a list of the hose fittings, hoses, condenser coil and compressor part numbers and cost at that time. I used the same conversion bracket as shown in the threads. I had some old R12 and used this changed the compressor oil and it works very good. To fabricate the hoses I purchased the end fittings and some cheap clear plastic hose to arrive at the hose cut lengths (think twice cut once) and it came out great. The only part that I caution is once the new compressor is installed with belt the compressor pully is fairly close to radiator lower hose. To remedy this took some repositioning of the compressor mounting bracket and move the radiator as far toward the passenger side as possible. Got lots of photos of this conversion if you need.

Hi, where did you source all the fittings and compressor in your listing?

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
John Kulak john kulak <[email protected]> has an eBay store he is extremely helpful and has all the connectors, compressor, conversion bracket, hose, washers. He is very knowledgeable and helpful in my conversion. Strongly suggest you call him.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
"Quick" question to the more informed:

I'm at the stage where it's time to remove the evaporator. Is there a thread somewhere that describes that process? I have the A/C cover and radio out; most of the underdash has been removed because I pulled my guages to be repaired and they're on their way back now.

Right now I'm looking at the plastic blower motor cover and I can see the evaporator lines on the right side behind the glove compartment.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your system still has a charge an A/C shop should evacuate your system first. There are pics on the forum that show how to remove.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Can you point me to the threads with pictures? I've looked around and haven't found any. I have the 7 clips removed from the plastic casing but it does not want to pry apart; I don't want to break it and I don't see what is holding it together. The plastic vent shroud over the top is out so I can see the top of the evaporator.