A few 5 Speed install questions

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's a really smart idea Steve, especially while it is out of the car and you can see everything perfectly.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
I went with German Lemforder OEM. Was concerned about additional vibration with the polyurethane, and my tolerance for bouncing around in the car seems to have diminished somewhat over the years.
I went with German Lemforder OEM. Was concerned about additional vibration with the polyurethane, and my tolerance for bouncing around in the car seems to have diminished somewhat over the years.

What is your feedback for the polyurethane Guibo? Does it cause any additional vibration/noise? Are you using it on a stock engine/transmission? Is your application for road use or track use?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Bill -- I have used polyurethane on some of the bushings in my e39 540, which in comparison to the e9 is an extremely stiff chassis. I do not want to try to stiffen up the e9 too much, primarily because the car itself is so flexible. In addition, I had thought the transmission of additional road vibration to the chassis would increase the stresses on the metal in our cars (Roads where I live, just outside Washington, DC are terrible). This is also a reason why I went with 15" instead of 16" tires.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
the z3 shifter is pretty short ... how is it on the coupe?

There are at least 4 or 5 Z3 shifters. The longer the fulcrum end, measured from the bottom of the "ball" the shorter the shift and more energy required to shift. I was conservative and measured a few Z3 units. I came up with 3/4" inch from the bottom of the "ball" I cut my original off and welded a 3/4" spacer in between the "ball" and the bushing end of the fulcrum. Though I haven't driven the car yet, it feels "comfortable" . This is installed in an 81 euro e24 with a dogleg. I don't know what prices are now, but the Z3 shift was about $50 several years ago.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
Hi Bill -- I have used polyurethane on some of the bushings in my e39 540, which in comparison to the e9 is an extremely stiff chassis. I do not want to try to stiffen up the e9 too much, primarily because the car itself is so flexible. In addition, I had thought the transmission of additional road vibration to the chassis would increase the stresses on the metal in our cars (Roads where I live, just outside Washington, DC are terrible). This is also a reason why I went with 15" instead of 16" tires.

Thanks for that info. I live in Spain, where the roads are good for most parts of the city and outskirts. I am running 225/45/17 at the moment, but will go down to 205/50/17, so that I could get some more cushion out of the tires. Plus the tires rubbed the fender lip at one point, but it seems that the previous owner bent them up. I will bring them back to there original position once I get the narrower tires on. I will keep the original Guibo then.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If 225 x .45 = 101.25 and 205 x .50 = 102.5 then the difference is sidewall height is only 1.25mm, correct? Not much difference other than width.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
If 225 x .45 = 101.25 and 205 x .50 = 102.5 then the difference is sidewall height is only 1.25mm, correct? Not much difference other than width.
That extra cushion makes life that much bearable when I hit potholes, plus I would have a little more protection for the rims. My main concern was the width. The tires rubbed on the fenders, hence damaging the tires, so I see that the previous owner rolled the lip upward so it's smoother and doesn't have clearance issues.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think 17s are too big for the styling of our cars. If I were in your shoes, I would go to a 16" wheel and tire and sell the 17" rims.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think 17s are too big for the styling of our cars. If I were in your shoes, I would go to a 16" wheel and tire and sell the 17" rims.
I would have prefered to have 16's on it to be honest with you. But the 17´s don't look bad at all, besides the car is lowered, it favors it. There are those who put 18´s and higher, now that's an overdo in my opinion.