a nice find from the seventies, kopf für kopfhörer

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder what the speakers are...??? That is some serious kit for background music.....

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
American iron

Cool find, I also love vintage hi-fi, my listening corner is powered by McIntosh from the 50's, 60's, & 70's:

IMG-20130625-00553.jpg

IMG-20130625-00552.jpg
wow, is that an MC 240 at the bottom?

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a Linn Sondek, Acoustic Energy AE-1s with assorted vintage amps and pre-amps - B&K pro 10, B&K ST-140. Some Ampex tube, Heathkit monoblocks ...

Lost my hearing in one ear - still love this stuff!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow, is that an MC 240 at the bottom?

No, it's one of a pair of mono block MC-30's from the late 50's, here's a pic after I re-tubed them. The scope is an MI-3 which displays FM signal strength and stereo separation (very trippy display at night), the preamp is an MX-110 Z series, both from mid 60's. The MC-2505 is not hooked up, and also shown below the 2 MC-30's is an MQ-101 equalizer. I'm currently hunting down a vintage turntable and speakers (L-100's AR-3's, Advent) that I had back in the day. Would love to get back into vinyl having lost all my records in Katrina.

IMG_8885.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Spotted this at an over equipped cafe that I haven’t visited in years. Thought of this thread. Most coffee shops have an iphone streaming bluetooth. Not this place!

View attachment 121708
I'd be willing to bet that the reason this guy has this stuff in his coffee shop is the same reason Stevehose never had a pair of Klipschorns in his living room.

The wife acceptance factor on this type of gear is pretty low, and if you want to drive a huge set of speakers with these babies (which, of course, is the point), it is a rare wife indeed that will allow a room to be dominated by that setup.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, it's one of a pair of mono block MC-30's from the late 50's, here's a pic after I re-tubed them. The scope is an MI-3 which displays FM signal strength and stereo separation (very trippy display at night), the preamp is an MX-110 Z series, both from mid 60's. The MC-2505 is not hooked up, and also shown below the 2 MC-30's is an MQ-101 equalizer. I'm currently hunting down a vintage turntable and speakers (L-100's AR-3's, Advent) that I had back in the day. Would love to get back into vinyl having lost all my records in Katrina.

View attachment 121735
I have a lot of turntables - If you're looking for that vintage I have a few Benjamin Miracord's with the wooden ton arm. Let me know if you're interested.
Sweet setup!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys all just need bigger garages, with heat, AC and bathroom. Note the Klipschorn in the corner.
Going way back to the early eighties I've loved the lines and interior of 64/65/66 T-birds. I had a 67 w/suicide doors but it wasn't the same. Your's is a convertible no less - JEALOUS!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Going way back to the early eighties I've loved the lines and interior of 64/65/66 T-birds. I had a 67 w/suicide doors but it wasn't the same. Your's is a convertible no less - JEALOUS!
It is not my garage. Belongs to a friend who has done well for himself, and thus can indulge at a level beyond many of us. Like many of you, he has an amazing vintage HiFi.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
As a kid in the 70’s I lusted after McIntosh but the closest I got was Marantz. In the 90s I bought an NAD based system that is still rocking in a friends basement. About 10 years ago I finally got vacuum tubes in the form of an Audio Research VSi60. It’s not powerful but the sound is amazing.
F551BB93-46D8-46D6-AC97-822F1B62B29B.jpeg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

View attachment 121735
DROOOOOOOOOOL

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DROOOOOOOOOOL

View attachment 121735
What about KLH speakers? Another great Henry Kloss speaker company. I had some bookshelf speakers that were really great.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Until you have heard speakers with properly designed FIR room correction filters, you are really missing out on how good vintage speakers can sound. These filters can also correct for some degree of crossover design weaknesses. Everything else in the HiFi system can be vintage without being a bottleneck to good sound.

A cheap PC with a decent ADC/DAC just upstream from the power amp is sufficient.

John