a nice find from the seventies, kopf für kopfhörer

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always wanted Klipschorns but my wife said nfw. They sell surround repair kits, easy to do.
A few days ago a friend demoed for me his vintage Klipschorn with a 1kW amplifier. What about tinnitus if you own that?

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A few days ago a friend demoed for me his vintage Klipschorn with a 1kW amplifier. What about tinnitus if you own that?
I had some Altec Valencias for a while, got tired of moving them each time we changed houses - sold em. Shoulda kept them.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The funny thing about klipschorns is that they are so efficient that a small amp can produce very loud volume, most think that a speaker that large requires a gorilla amp.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a nice thing that i wanted to try, but didnt had the chance until now, headphones, they say not, they call them earspeakers, by STAX, the electrostatic ones

obviously vintage, with a driver unit with vacuum tubes, a nice setup

put aside my grado gs1000, and installed these after a consistent cleaning

now i am here writing this with chet baker playing at my side, so nice

F738CDCB-B216-44D7-8B2F-983B62262619.jpeg
3AFAFBDC-35C2-4F62-BC9B-7CCDFAC669E0.jpeg
1270C9EB-5EE6-4F2C-9FFC-FFEB6F6F76B6.jpeg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a nice thing that i wanted to try, but didnt had the chance until now, headphones, they say not, they call them earspeakers, by STAX, the electrostatic ones

obviously vintage, with a driver unit with vacuum tubes, a nice setup

put aside my grado gs1000, and installed these after a consistent cleaning

now i am here writing this with chet baker playing at my side, so nice

View attachment 123422View attachment 123423View attachment 123424
Electrostatic right?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was much younger, I lived in West LA, drove a rust free Fjord blue E3 with working AC and perfectly behaved Zenith carburetors, had a pair of DQ10’s plus Stax electrostatic headphones, had 3x as much hair, a resting pulse rate of 50, and weighed 40lbs less. Those were the good old days.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I drooled over STAX headphones in the 80's - right when I was getting into stereo's and Hi-Fi.....

The stereo store I spent WAY TOO much money in in the 1980's and early 1990's had (back then) a killer audiophile surround setup in a home theater demo room...
And this was before HT was a 'thing' - like it has become. Back in the day - the equipment just in this one system cost $120,000 or so... (1987 dollars- I remember adding the $$ all up one time )

The system had 'Dolby Surround Sound' (first generation) preamp/AV controller and featured B&W 801 speakers at each of the 4 corners with McIntosh power and a Pioneer Laserdisk source (with an RGB projector going to a HUGE screen for the display). I saw Top Gun there - many times. I saw it start to finish one time - LOL... They had fun with me and let me indulge my dreams.

Many moons later - I did get the B&W 801's. Used them for several years. I have them in storage as they are just a bit big for my new house. They will go into my listening room (out in the 'man cave' when that gets finished). Right now, I have B&W Diamond 803's as my mains... with an 'old school' Velodyne sub (active feedback) for support.

Oh - did I mention that before the E9 came along, I probably have spent more on audio than on old cars? LOL...

(SFDon fixed the stereo/cars $$ thing - LOL)