a scheel tale

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
is unclear that this would go anywhere, but even considered as an "object d`art" the scheel seat is a marvel itself

i remember a similar story with my Petri steering wheel back in Berlin, but then i had no coupe to rest it in, so a similar reflection was rattling my brain in the train that was bringing me to Templehof, there in a not very cool plastic bag a lovely Petri was laying, and i was making educated guesses of how the faces of my friends would look like if I finally had to hang it in the garage Wall...

this might have the same fate, or not, who knows...

i can´t drive slowly, simply i can´t, moreover now that i feel that the suspensión is just right, ...well it is not a secret that stock seats are not the best for curvy roads, either my ass is too small, or the seat is too wide,...

, so why do not give a try to scheels,...
...if only they were not so expensive,...

but if there is a will...

so here it is:

my absolute concern was to have perfect black vynil, i have noticed that unless you deal with gerrit the re-upholsery of these seats will not be satisfactory

and the second point was that i should be able to do all the rest of the job myself

...at least, i will try...

:)

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
just before going to the internals (crappy foam) and central cloth

I started with simple things:

rusted rails

it is not easy to remove the fixing bar, as it is in tensión with a peculiar spring that must be removed:

keep record of the position

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
now i feel the urge of defining a structure that adapts the seat frame to the body of the e9

lets see:

tilting the seat was not an option,...

try to find a nice angle facing backwards

will have a friend welding the bits during this week,...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus
I'm sure this will be yet another one of your outstanding restorations.
In my experience, the quality of the Scheel foam was better than Recaro for that time period. But over time most foams deteriorated. My only advice to you is to test fit the height of your mounting fixture. When my ass was small, I found the height of a Scheel to be ok. Now that I am older and have a big one I find the Scheel with original adapter bracket to be a little too high for my preference. If you are over 180cm, you might consider dropping the cross rails a few cm (yes a few additional pieces of heavy 90deg angle steel to weld on). I may do this on my brackets over the winter.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus
I'm sure this will be yet another one of your outstanding restorations.
In my experience, the quality of the Scheel foam was better than Recaro for that time period. But over time most foams deteriorated. My only advice to you is to test fit the height of your mounting fixture. When my ass was small, I found the height of a Scheel to be ok. Now that I am older and have a big one I find the Scheel with original adapter bracket to be a little too high for my preference. If you are over 180cm, you might consider dropping the cross rails a few cm (yes a few additional pieces of heavy 90deg angle steel to weld on). I may do this on my brackets over the winter.

This is an excellent advise, thank you ! I will consider it and make some changes before welding the structure
I have not been able to analise an original tilting frame in person, but i have made some guesses about position and sizes based on pictures, and some ulterior checking in the car.
i know that you can not center the seat with respect to the car body, but you have to move the center of the seat 20 mm towards the central tunnel and this way the seat is aligned with the steering Wheel.
thank you for commenting.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
some help requested: I need one lateral rail cover LH side,

see here: (please be aware that picture shows RH side)

i wonder if anyone would have one of these parts around, no matter in what condition. Only need driver´s seat for LHD, so left side

i know they sell these covers in pairs, but they do not sell individually a LH

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Jesus, still trying to find the plastic cover here in the UK, no luck yet

Mark

@daddywad, thank you so much Mark, i have open the request to see if there is a chance just before trying to reproduce it myself, it would be imposible to make it using plastic, but i can use cardboard and upholster it in black vynil, it would not be quite the same thing, but...

i appreciate your efforts

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
upholstery,

start disassemble:

must remove odd clamps

look how peculiar are the sections of cloth fixed to the elastic straps, using the same type of clamps every time

the two laterals of the seat are fixed front to rear using two Steel wires fixed together by the clamps

must renew the straps using new ones

i will treat the frame against rust, using a curative procedure, and probably repaint in black afterwards

see how the two wires i mentioned are tightened along the seam lines

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
De Q, I think you may be able to use the clips from a regular pair of seats, I know those buggers can get rusty and cause the headrest to stick in the tubes but they look very familiar, just like the ones I yanked out of that old pair of standard e9 seats.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
De Q, I think you may be able to use the clips from a regular pair of seats, I know those buggers can get rusty and cause the headrest to stick in the tubes but they look very familiar, just like the ones I yanked out of that old pair of standard e9 seats.

you are right, they always show up very rusty, and they are NLA, I think there is a hardware bit that can do the trick, i do not know the name in english, i will try to find it and i will post it here