a scheel tale

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
lets go to the reinforcements, final position is 33,5 cm

i will use two type of straps, the Green one is stronger (this will go on the bottom seat)
i will have to make them slightly smaller to pretensión them, so after some trials i decided to sew them at 30cm

how to put them in place, these are the back ones, made at 35cm for a total width of 38cm

done

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
thank you Markos,

will start the reassembly,

first i have to sew the central cloth to the vinyl, it is a very delicate task, and i have no room for puting the pieces into the machine

adhesive tape and marks for reference

done

seems good

now time for the hog ring plyers that John found for me in London (thank you so much), this is a well recognised US brand in the uphostery world, curved plyers make the trick, very simple but efective

they are expensive but no way to Work in a seat without them,

finished vinyl surface tight as a drum

done the bottom part, the vinyl has two Steel wires that i use to retain the rings

check foams in

a general view ready for a next step

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, very nice work DeQ!

May I ask how many hours go into restoring a seat like that?

thank you,
you may ask, but i can not even make an estimation, it is not only doing it, but thinking and trying the ideas first, i made small trials of sewing, gluing, ... then buying the special tools, and it takes a long between one step and the next one
i am sorry but i can not even make a guess,...
probably a second one would be the way of meassuring it

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
so, must finish this,

i have to cut the back foam, it is not what i was supposed to do, but i found no other way,

see the 3 and 3 BIS, a curious glueing to make the shape:

start on top, introduce foam "1" and start with hog rings

the mighty SS

invented this to fix the bottom front, add a plastic piece to clamp the hog rings there

put the top caps and headrest

and it is done:

a scheel:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So you just did the driver side?

Awesome work. Is it comfortable or were you following your precept of "form follows form"?

yes, only drivers seat, in fact i have only one seat, looking for donations to get a second one, ;-)

as to your question, this is not a form follows form, i am looking for a better driving position, firm and stable

i have only tried the seat as it is, and i can tell that you fit like a glove on this scheel seats, looks and feels promising

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, very nice work DeQ!

May I ask how many hours go into restoring a seat like that?

@Gransin , i have a little example of the difficulty of planning the time for this sort of restoration, yesterday i glued part of the foam, that i had to remove today after noticing that it created wrinkles, it took ages to remove the foam

today i decided to add a reinforcement so i had to start sewing again in the middle of the assembly

and then i had to remove a docen of hog rings and place them again in a more backward possition

then i decided to introduce the plastic bar,...

two steps forward one step backwards,... but now is done

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Gransin , i have a little example of the difficulty of planning the time for this sort of restoration, yesterday i glued part of the foam, that i had to remove today after noticing that it created wrinkles, it took ages to remove the foam

today i decided to add a reinforcement so i had to start sewing again in the middle of the assembly

and then i had to remove a docen of hog rings and place them again in a more backward possition

then i decided to introduce the plastic bar,...

two steps forward one step backwards,... but now is done

Yes, I understand that it is hard to say, I know how much time that can go into just research and testing without actually getting anything done. I figured you had put alot of hours into this project and was just interested if you knew how much. :)

Looking at the recent photos and its a beautiful work you've done, really nice!

Cheers,

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, only drivers seat, in fact i have only one seat, looking for donations to get a second one, ;-)

With the amount of fabrication you did it looks like you could produce a second one on your own. Missing some metal frames and what else?
Pun intended you can make a new seat out of whole cloth...