Air conditioning upgrade photos/details

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I too am following this as we have our 1970 2800cs all apart for restoration. Living in hot humid Florida optimum AC is needed.

But I am confused as to where the blue mounting pieces came from. Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but the evaporator sources only show the unit.

Did you make the blue pieces or where to get them?

We are fortunate that we have a entire separate AC, blower console to play with with out having to modify our stock unit.

Thanks

jjs2800cs

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is a fairly straight forward conversion. My evaporator coil was n good shape so I stayed with the original as the TXV is designed for R12 I stayed with that. Parallel flow condenser a must - rebuild the condenser fan or a new one. Attached are some useful details on performing the conversion. Before cutting the hose length mounted all the fittings and used inexpensive vinyl hose to simulate the routings/length. Condenser cost about $100. The other PDF details all the required fittings and costs at that time. Johnsjoy has all these parts including compressors. One important item (for me) was the close proximity of the compressor pulley to the lower radiator hose- with engine rock make sure to position the radiator as far right(passenger side) as possible and adjust the compressor mounting bracket to get optimal clearance otherwise you will cut the hose. My system works great. Good luck.

Attachments

• 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_1.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_2.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_3.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 1973 E9 AC CONDENSER UPGRADE.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 163
  • 1973 BMW E9 AC CONVERSION COMPONENTS $.pdf
    736.8 KB · Views: 138

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t think the limitation is the evaporator it is the squirrel cage fan. My coupe has a parallel flow condenser, rotary pump and new hoses and fittings and I am running R-134. It blows super cold, I wish it could pump out more volume, the other issue is the position of the vents which are too low.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you make the blue pieces or where to get them?

So, what I posted is pictures (including the blue parts) of a build that I have 90% complete. It's pure experimentation. It relies on the existing blower and an inexpensive, aftermarket parallel flow evaporator. (It also uses a cheap and modern thermal expansion valve and no flare fittings). So far it seems to succeed in that it provides the same stream of air but it could perhaps provide a larger drop in air temperature between return and supply.

Essentially, the blue, 3D printed parts hold it in the case and patch a hole that must be cut. Conversely, if our system's limitation is more the blower than the evaporator (as Chris states) this will prove that too. Or else it will be an open-source upgrade path that brave people can try out.

I am about to post a write-up about this experiment but I owe you all a candid evaluation of whether it works well and whether I'd recommend it! I promise to have it as soon as I put the car back together!

As a side note, I think that using all original equipment but taking special care to get the refrigerant charge set right for your respective refrigerant is an underrated "must". If you want the "saturation temperature" in your evaporator to be just above freezing, there's a low-side P.S.I. for that!

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The proper refrigerant charge is important. To my experience if there is no set charge recommendation (in ounces of refrigerant) my process is to begin using the sight glass on the drier filling until bubbles are present, unlike a commercial HVACR system, some bubbles are acceptable. It's easy to overfill so begin by pulling a good vacuum. Start filling slowly using the temperature/ pressure chart as a guide (hopefully using good gauges) open and closing the low side. If using R134A 33PSI on the low side = 35°F not freezing. A rule of thumb is add refrigerant until the suction line begins to sweat I stop as its easy to over fill and possible result in locking the compressor.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those members following this thread I have posted the writeup I had promised before (and I am officially un-hijacking this one).

Go here:

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For those contemplating such a project, I recently completed my York to rotary a/c compressor upgrade. Keeping with R-12. In prior posts on this subject there weren't a lot of specifics so I am trying to offer some here for the novices like me. Project included:

-switch from old York boat anchor to "Sanden style" 709 compressor and York mounting bracket from Johnjoysyl eBay seller ($190 for both and must be at least a 15lb weight savings):
IMG-20110716-00415.jpg

-replace old crusty condenser with modern 16x18" parallel flow version from nostalgicairparts.com ($90):
IMG-20110716-00414.jpg

-new dryer from RMEuropean ($30) and
-new a/c hoses from local hydraulic hose shop ($75) - wish they were like the cool oem red ones but such is life (the red and blue shown here are the gauge hoses):
IMG-20110723-00451.jpg

-recored the radiator to triple core by local radiator shop ($350)
-new water pump from RMEuropean ($45)
-new fan clutch found NOS online bargain ($35)
-hose fittings and copper flare washers from NAPA ($40)

It's not a difficult process, but it took 2 full weekends to complete.

Fabrication included making some bracket extensions for the condenser to fit the existing one seen in this pic:
IMG-20110722-00445.jpg

and having a machine shop extend the compressor mounting bracket bolt slots so the pulley would line up correctly:
IMG-20110722-00443.jpg

The evaporator and dryer have flare fittings, the new compressor and condenser have o-ring fittings so you have to get some hoses made that mix/match the fittings. So for my setup they were:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]1. Compressor to condenser: 40” total length, 45 deg #8-8T O-ring compressor out to 90 deg #8-8T O-ring condenser in. #8 hose.

2. Condenser to dryer: 39” total length, 90 deg #6-8T O-ring condenser out to 90 deg #8-8T flare dryer in. #8 hose.

3. Dryer to evaporator: 19.5” total length, straight #8-8T flare dryer out to straight #6-8T flare evaporator in. #8 hose.

4. Evaporator to compressor: 33” total length, straight #10-10T flare (with separate #10 R-12 port spliced in) to 90 deg #10-10T O-ring. #10 hose.

Total length = hose plus fittings. I installed an R-12 port into the low side evap-to-compressor line for convenience and 3rd degree burn elimination. I thought my dryer came with a high side port but it didn't so at some point I will replace with one that does.

Basically the order of work was:
-had freon evac'd by a/c shop
-remove radiator and brought to shop for recore
-remove front grilles and headlight assemblies (I removed the bulbs and cleaned the glass insides with rubbing alcohol - huge difference)
-disconnect hoses and remove old condenser
-disconnect and remove York (a major PITA with hidden bolts and 40 years of gunk)
-disconnect and remove dryer and vibration damper
-clean as much as possible with newfound access to areas (I also sprayed Penetrol into the nose, bumper, and headlight areas for rust protection)
-install condenser after making some bracket extensions from metal strip from Lowes
-lengthen slots on compressor bracket as much as possible (machine shop) and install compressor to stock York bracket on block.
-mount dryer but keep caps on until ready for hose fitting
-measure and re-measure (I used rope) the lengths you want for hoses
-source fittings and bring to hose shop and have them make up the hoses (they can probably order the fittings you need if NAPA doesn't have them)
-install hoses and tighten carefully
-bought cheap suction pump from Harbor Freight ($100) and some nice R-12/R-134a compatible gauges from online supplier ($50) - draw vacuum to -30 for an hour or so and then tighten gauges and turn off pump and see if it holds vacuum-mine didn't at first so I tightened everything a little more - this is why you don't install the radiator yet in case you have to get to condenser again - vacuum now stable
-installed water pump, fan clutch and new radiator
-I put in about 1/2 lb more freon than spec to account for bigger condenser capacity - no sight glass bubbles.

NOTES ON COMPRESSOR CHOICE:

[/FONT]The 508 and 709 is the designation of pistons and displacement, the 508 has 5 pistons and 8 cc or something, the 709 has 7 pistons and 9 cc. Both have the same body size and would fit. The other designations pertain to the type of clutch and fittings and where they are located on the compressor, some come straight out the back, others go up, I chose the latter for clearance reasons. Depending on which refrigerant you are going to use, you'll want it to come with the right oil in it, fittings that come up not staight back, and the correct service ports for your refrigerant (they are different for r12 vs r134), and a double pulley clutch not serpentine belt. The 508 probably takes less hp to run than the 709 but that's just a guess.
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
The upgrade is like night and day - the compressor is smooth, no vibrations, and silent, only reduces the idle rpm slightly when on, and the new system cranks out frigid air into the cabin - I can drive in 95 degree heat/humidity and be fine inside the cabin, and the system will actually cycle because it gets plenty cold. With the more efficient radiator, there's no going past halfway on the gauge with the a/c on in the broiling heat here.

[/FONT]
Brilliant write up. Read it last week and just started my AC retrofit today on the CSi. Went with a Sanden 508 and new AC radiator from W&N. Sticking to R/12. What about adding a thermostat controlled fan on the condenser? Wouldn’t that help?

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Brilliant write up. Read it last week and just started my AC retrofit today on the CSi. Went with a Sanden 508 and new AC radiator from W&N. Sticking to R/12. What about adding a thermostat controlled fan on the condenser? Wouldn’t that help