Air conditioning upgrade photos/details

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
You sell these brackets Layne?
Yes I do. Send me a PM and I can fix you up. More info here:
e9coupe.com/forum/threads/sanden-compressor-conversion-brackets.34898/

I just used a generic flare thread expansion valve from nostalgicac.com. The only variable is the length of the sensing tube (sorry I don't remember what the correct length is). But they should be roughly the same price from an E9 supplier, it's a cheap part. Flare thread is the important part here. Everything from about 1980 until today uses O-ring fittings instead. I used flare to O-ring adapters at the evaporator so the rest of my system was O-ring.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Definitley get a parallel flow condenser. If I were doing this now I would use Layne's mount for sure, my York bracket is ok but may as well do that now, it wasn't available when I did this.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I do. Send me a PM and I can fix you up. More info here:
e9coupe.com/forum/threads/sanden-compressor-conversion-brackets.34898/

I just used a generic flare thread expansion valve from nostalgicac.com. The only variable is the length of the sensing tube (sorry I don't remember what the correct length is). But they should be roughly the same price from an E9 supplier, it's a cheap part. Flare thread is the important part here. Everything from about 1980 until today uses O-ring fittings instead. I used flare to O-ring adapters at the evaporator so the rest of my system was O-ring.
Layne, using the adapter didn’t move the hard lines to far to the right relative to holes in firewall?

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can only be inspired. As has been said before, I would be smoking a cigarette. Noobie

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi

I think this EZ Clip hose and fittings system is worth checking out for making and installing hoses at any time e.g., after engine bay is mostly complete. I think this adds a huge amount of flexibility in running hoses and maybe converting to O-rings fittings vs. original flare-fittings. I don't have a preference either way.

Also, Nostalgic AC has adapters to go from original flare-fittings to O-ring fittings or O-ring fittings to flare-fittings.

Regards,
Bill

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI- since the evaporator expansion valve uses flare fittings I would test this unit for leaks before reinstalling. (Flare fittings can be a little tricky at times. Please get new copper flare washers. Grainger and others have these. Some old school AC shops have them too) Not the easiest as you have to find a way to hook some air to it to test. My AC shop was able to do that and I took it to them and they put about 30+psi in it and put it in a tank of water to look for bubbles.
You sure don't want to have to take this out again after all the PIA work it takes to R&R.
Good luck.
Gary

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
We buy from authorized Sanden dealer. I don't buy knockoffs because I have to replace them for free when they fall apart.

We use Vintage air.

VINTAGE AIR DOCK

04808-VUA
COMPRESSOR A/C SD-508 134
$199.00
$199.0

You want bling- buy the chrome model Bling-Bling
Here’s the item off their site

Attachments

• 91DD8645-C827-4BE5-8FF9-529D00AF2ADE.png
    91DD8645-C827-4BE5-8FF9-529D00AF2ADE.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 213

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pickman provided a list with pics here:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought a crimper and used reduced barrier hoses/fittings.

Can get the latter here:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought a crimper and used reduced barrier hoses/fittings.

Can get the latter here:

Thanks Rob.
That's a great resource.

I had a friendly AC guy make hoses for me while I was there. I helped but he had the tools and parts to make the hoses.
Now I can do my own.
Have a 2002Tii to do and currently rebuilding an M635CSI and have unknown AC work to do on that.
@Stevehose @rsporsche
Scott, please add to your resource list.
Gary

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The end fittings I suggested will fit an OEM drier the AC are made for the USA market and the fittings are SAE. Attached is some more detail as I worked thru the process to design and install he system - hope it is useful.

Attachments

• Drier.jpg
    Drier.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 3.0 CS AC.jpg
    3.0 CS AC.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 1973 BMW E9 CONVERSION HOSE AND END FITTINGS BEAD LOCK FITTINGS.jpg
    1973 BMW E9 CONVERSION HOSE AND END FITTINGS BEAD LOCK FITTINGS.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 201

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I live in a cold climate so needed to figure the hose lengths as close as possible and found it difficult to maneuver the AC hoses to the point to measure so used this inexpensive plastic tubing to figure the actual lengths, allowed me to twist the hoses to get the proper routing in the end fittings and orientation - which is important for routing. This worked like a charm hope it helps.

Attachments

• 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_1.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_2.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_3.jpg
    1973 E9 AC Retrofit Hoses_Page_3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 192

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I live in a cold climate so needed to figure the hose lengths as close as possible and found it difficult to maneuver the AC hoses to the point to measure so used this inexpensive plastic tubing to figure the actual lengths, allowed me to twist the hoses to get the proper routing in the end fittings and orientation - which is important for routing. This worked like a charm hope it helps.

THAT IS BRILLIANT (yes I am yelling with the ALL CAPS)!

Drew

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI- Unless you need further help from Nostalgic AC, the 16X18 condenser mentioned, is available from Ebay shipped at about $60. Part# is CN20015XC, made in China by UAC. Thought it might have been made in US. At any rate, it does appear to be made with quality parts. Save $65 between freight and cost.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone done more work with upgrading the interior-side components? (evap, blower, incredibly expensive, fragile, and rare interior ducting) I have heard from a few people using VintageAir and ICEAC, but when I have called them they said they had nothing that would work.
That is a very good question. Anyone?