Another CSI on BaT. This time a ‘75.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The bigger problem is now that my wife knows what mine is worth (and in much better condition than both CSis) she thinks we should consider selling!
Yes, I hesitate to show my wife what E9's are selling for because of this. I have it easier than most though, my response being that since I run the coupe forum I have to own one. :p

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The bigger problem is now that my wife knows what mine is worth (and in much better condition than both CSis) she thinks we should consider selling! I just drove an 85 M635CSi this weekend and I fell in love with it, and it’s Arktisblau.

Plot the change in value of your coupe against any of your financial assets, then ponder the question "what if this is only the front end of the e9 craze?"

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These things are popping up like 911s!
First observation, what’s going on with the paint/body? The fenders appear darker than the doors.

It seems like that to me too.

Dohn

Reaction score
Proves the old line about "all you need is two motivated buyers." Many minor flaws, and "total mileage unknown" for $203k? Wowsa.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bigger problem is now that my wife knows what mine is worth (and in much better condition than both CSis) she thinks we should consider selling! I just drove an 85 M635CSi this weekend and I fell in love with it, and it’s Arktisblau.

For whatever reason, I've been lusting over a new Cayman 718 GT4. I've daydreamed about selling my coupe, buying the Porsche, and maybe handing my wife a little cash. I'd have my Arktisblau euro 635 as my classic (and the M5). It wouldn't be horrible.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
This reminds me of the 190SL market 5 years ago when it finally peeked at 250k, Stair casing down since to 100-150 for a nice example. Granted 50’a-60’s 190SLs seem a little less relevant today (aging followers) the E9 will have more runway, but these prices are nuts and exciting to watch.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well once again, history has shown us the way.

As somebody said above, watch floods of inferior examples appear and kill this momentum. To be clear, I hope they dont and these prices stay, but I have to believe it has all happened way too fast of late..

It happened with 911S's, mentioned above 190 SLs, even M1s, a few good examples (not great) sold at $600k and for four or five years now, all we have seen is a flood of suspect cars, gradually dragging the price back down 20-25%, only just now starting to recover.

Steady progression is sustainable, these large jumps are not, unless there is extremely limited numbers of cars available.

Just my 2c on the subject, worth about 1.5c when last appraised :)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
. I have owned what is arguably one of the nicest M635csi in the US and I would not trade your e9 for another m635csi no matter how nice it is. The e9 is a far better car to own and drive.
Very interesting. Having not driven one, I am curious to hear why you feel that way.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very interesting. Having not driven one, I am curious to hear why you feel that way.

So the e24 is sexy, there's no argument there. It is also a very logical transition from the e9. However the e24 has a very different feel to its 4 door counterpart which is the e28. The e24 and e28 were eventually built on the same chassis; so one could think that they would have a similar feel and drive. This is not the case. The e24 starts out with heavy clunky doors, almost Trans-Am like but not that bad. Getting in the car, the seat position makes you feel like your belly is pointing at the ceiling. The dash layout isn't very cohesive and the vents are so far away that by the time the cold air reaches you it has been heated by the heat soaked dash. The drive is almost muted and really doesn't offer good feedback. This along with the seating and steering wheel position make it almost awkward to drive. And the greenhouse leaves a lot to be desired.

The e28 on the other hand, and don't ask me why since they are on the same chassis, is completely different. The seating position, instruments, dash, etc... are well laid out. The seating position is right where it needs to be. Feedback is excellent, and the a/c works well. The drive is so different that you almost can't believe they are built on the same chassis with the same suspension and drive line. Visibility is excellent. One avid owner/enthusiast once said "the e28 doesn't do any particular thing extremely well, it just does everything really well.

I've had both m30b34 e24s and e28s as well as s38b35 (US m5) and m88 (Euro e24) variants of both models. The e28 is hands down the superior car, in every aspect.

How does this compare to our e9s? The e9 is definitely a product of the 60s (European). Obviously the exterior design is beautiful; but the interior of the e9 is really attractive and the seating is definitely for the driver. The detail of the interior with the wood and bright work is really of high quality and nice detail. The e28 and e24 lack that and really are Teutonic which makes them more purpose built, Germanic. The drive line is standard BMW M30+Getrag with a nice exhaust note and excellent independent suspension. Those of us with the 3 litre version can really appreciate an excellent braking system. Back to the interior though, the business section. It is a really good seating position and the layout is really simple but really good. The steering wheel is right where it is supposed to be. The pedals too. The speedo, tach, and other gauges are also right where they need to be. The shifter is in the right place and everything is really where it supposed to be, even the cup-holders. The greenhouse is excellent. Visibility with all that big glass, low lines, and thin pillars (there are only 2 per side) really makes pointing the nose and catching the scenery a real pleasure. In all a great car to drive with excellent feedback and performance.

If I had to choose just one it would be really tough to decide between an e9 and an M version of the e28. Both are so well engineered and both offer their own personalities; but I think the e9 would win the coin toss simply because it is so beautiful. Drive is close to equal to the m5 other than an extra cam and twice as many valves. Minor details...

If you have the opportunity to spend a little time with an e24 and an e28, I think you'll agree the e24 will leave you a bit disappointed. Sorry to all the e24 out there.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For all of you that think the momentum will fade, think again. There is a coupe coming to BAT that I guarantee will SHATTER the last record. Most of you know the car, but mum's the word on my part on exactly who's it is...... and was. All I can say is.......BUCKLE UP BUTTERCUPS! :oops: NO GUESSING ON THE BOARD.....

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny, in that from my dealership experience, I've driven a lot of E24s and almost no E9s. My own E9 is not a relevant example (at least it wasn't in the state I purchased and drive it in before the restoration began). For me, while the E24s are a good looking car, I found them to be too heavy (literally and also in feel). It just felt like a bit too much car for the expression. Another very personal observation was that I found them to be a bit more feminine (or less masculine) than I prefer in a car. Not sure if there is such a metric, but I feel this way about most MBs, also. My 2cents (worth far less than BMW Pete's in any market). ;)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the e24 is sexy, there's no argument there. It is also a very logical transition from the e9. However the e24 has a very different feel to its 4 door counterpart which is the e28. The e24 and e28 were eventually built on the same chassis; so one could think that they would have a similar feel and drive. This is not the case. The e24 starts out with heavy clunky doors, almost Trans-Am like but not that bad. Getting in the car, the seat position makes you feel like your belly is pointing at the ceiling. The dash layout isn't very cohesive and the vents are so far away that by the time the cold air reaches you it has been heated by the heat soaked dash. The drive is almost muted and really doesn't offer good feedback. This along with the seating and steering wheel position make it almost awkward to drive. And the greenhouse leaves a lot to be desired.

The e28 on the other hand, and don't ask me why since they are on the same chassis, is completely different. The seating position, instruments, dash, etc... are well laid out. The seating position is right where it needs to be. Feedback is excellent, and the a/c works well. The drive is so different that you almost can't believe they are built on the same chassis with the same suspension and drive line. Visibility is excellent. One avid owner/enthusiast once said "the e28 doesn't do any particular thing extremely well, it just does everything really well.

I've had both m30b34 e24s and e28s as well as s38b35 (US m5) and m88 (Euro e24) variants of both models. The e28 is hands down the superior car, in every aspect.

How does this compare to our e9s? The e9 is definitely a product of the 60s (European). Obviously the exterior design is beautiful; but the interior of the e9 is really attractive and the seating is definitely for the driver. The detail of the interior with the wood and bright work is really of high quality and nice detail. The e28 and e24 lack that and really are Teutonic which makes them more purpose built, Germanic. The drive line is standard BMW M30+Getrag with a nice exhaust note and excellent independent suspension. Those of us with the 3 litre version can really appreciate an excellent braking system. Back to the interior though, the business section. It is a really good seating position and the layout is really simple but really good. The steering wheel is right where it is supposed to be. The pedals too. The speedo, tach, and other gauges are also right where they need to be. The shifter is in the right place and everything is really where it supposed to be, even the cup-holders. The greenhouse is excellent. Visibility with all that big glass, low lines, and thin pillars (there are only 2 per side) really makes pointing the nose and catching the scenery a real pleasure. In all a great car to drive with excellent feedback and performance.

If I had to choose just one it would be really tough to decide between an e9 and an M version of the e28. Both are so well engineered and both offer their own personalities; but I think the e9 would win the coin toss simply because it is so beautiful. Drive is close to equal to the m5 other than an extra cam and twice as many valves. Minor details...

If you have the opportunity to spend a little time with an e24 and an e28, I think you'll agree the e24 will leave you a bit disappointed. Sorry to all the e24 out there.
Just the kind of detailed and helpful info one would expect from a brother! Thank you!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good info @OCCoupe. I’ve never drive an e24. Your write up on the interior reminded me of my parents going from a GM station wagon to a volvo 240 wage. You went from camano-like seating position to upright euro seating. A high visibility greenhouse that started well below the bridge of your nose (unlike GM).

The M635CSI sure is pretty though!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For all of you that think the momentum will fade, think again. There is a coupe coming to BAT that I guarantee will SHATTER the last record. Most of you know the car, but mum's the word on my part on exactly who's it is...... and was. All I can say is.......BUCKLE UP BUTTERCUPS! :oops: NO GUESSING ON THE BOARD.....

Sounds like a recipe for disappointment. My theory is that mediocre cars selling for large sums on BaT don’t raise the price of nice cars. That is how it has played out in the past. I hope to be proven wrong.