Another Milwaukee e3

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
I suspected from the beginning that I would need to make a change to the stock vacuum booster as it (likely) takes up too much room for proper air cleaners on DCOEs or an air box for F.I.. I sourced a tii booster early on, thinking that it would provide the needed space, but I didn't fully enthuse about using it as it was designed for a braking system on a car which weighs +/- 700lbs less than a Bavaria. A reduction in brake boost was not the way to go when increasing torque & horsepower. Shortly after the engine was installed I attended the NSRA National event in Louisville (I also have a traditional hot rod affliction) and white perusing the indoor vendor area (in excess of 900,000 sq. ft.!) I encountered the booth of ABS Power Brake (coincidental name), which manufactures a two-part system: a very compact electrical pressure accumulator (8"x6"x6') which can be mounted remotely, and an equally compact master cylinder (3.25" tall, 3.5" wide, 8.75" long) which mounts in the position of the stock MC. It provides 1600 to 1800 psi of pressure which actually exceeds that of the vacuum system. We were able to mount the accumulator below (required) and essentially out of the engine compartment on the subframe and then shortened the booster tube and actuating rod approximately 4" for additional air box space and a round mounting plate was fabricated for the MC base. It's a very tidy and compact unit and I've been very pleased with it's performance; pedal feel and modulation is excellent and I believe it to be superior to the stock system (given that the swept area is not increased) in hauling the car down. A minor drawback is that one can hear the accumulator run from time to time, but I just consider that it signifies the system is working. Some images of the installation:

This shows the shortened booster mounting tube in the upper right:
securedownload-2-L.jpg

And here is the mounting plate:
541888_10151160819987062_1545719568_n-L.jpg

The only component which enters the engine compartment is the MC, shown here with finned aluminum cover and fill cap (a bit of a fuzzy photo):
IMG_0110-L.jpg

I'm very pleased with the decision to go this route. It was a bit pricier than I had estimated (so what's new there?), but it provided the needed space for the air box, allowed no change in the overflow tank mounting and its performance meets or exceeds my expectations.

More to come...

Jim

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the details which I now notice has been omitted is the fuel return system required of a fuel injection system. Running a line from the end of the injector fuel log back to the tank is a fairly straightforward task but the stock fuel pick up insert in the tank does not allow for the return of fuel. One call to Carl Nelson solved that issue quite easily; an e30 fuel pick up fits exactly in the e3 tank. The only difference is that the e30 unit is approximately one inch shorter that that of the original unit. Though it can be used as-is, we lengthened the bottom portion so as not to receive a "too early" indication of low fuel. When the fuel gauge didn't work upon installation I called Carl again and he immediately knew where I had erred: "You've got the lead wires crossed, reverse 'em and it'll work.", and sure enough, instant fix. The guy is an amazing resource. The system uses an 30 fuel pump mounted above the left half shaft along with a high capacity fuel filter.

IMG_1633-L.jpg

I forgot to mention that the battery was moved to the trunk for additional air box space and with the added benefit of some weight distribution improvement. We used factory e36 cable run under the carpeting on the passenger side along the sill as well as the positive terminal/fused link on the firewall. The ECU is wired directly from the terminal through an additional fuse box and is accessible by dropping the glove box.

IMG_3888-L.jpg

We mounted the battery in a well made aluminum box from local company, Quick Cable.

From the image featuring the brake MC (third photo up) taken in early August 2013, to our major goal of startup, we're seeing light through the tunnel; a small amount of wiring, circuit testing, header installation and a fairly extensive check list later we arrive at Aug. 8 (5:36PM Central Standard time to be exact) and this occurs:

HotDamn! ..... only three and a half years (as life's other activities permitted) into the one year project and we have ignition. Next up is time on the dyno, correcting a few small issues and then its break-in trip to Upstate New York with the Vintage BMW Club.

More to come...

Cheers,
Jim

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e30 fuel pickup needs to be lengthened as you did, but, did you use the existing sending unit? The replacement units will read low with any later sending unit which fits in the later pickups.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
The e30 fuel pickup needs to be lengthened as you did, but, did you use the existing sending unit? The replacement units will read low with any later sending unit which fits in the later pickups.

Hey Chris,

The only modification/change I made was to the length of the pickup. When I fill my tank the gauge reads full and when the light comes on I estimate +/- three gallons remaining based on the gallons required to fill. I'm unsure of what you refer to as the "sending unit".

Jim

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, the sending unit is for the gauge, your experience is similar to mine. When it gets to 1/4 tank I really have 1/3 left.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, the sending unit is for the gauge, your experience is similar to mine. When it gets to 1/4 tank I really have 1/3 left.

Chris, I got to thinking about this (it was nine years ago) so referred to my stack of records. Sure enough, I bought an E24 sender from La Jolla with the tank insert and fuel pump...One Stop Shopping.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that the engine is running, though only at idle, we roll it from the bay where it's been siting for nine months to the dyno. Scott's very able tech, Tim, who has co-designed and fabricated much of the install, now lends his (considerable) tuning expertise. Our goal is to baseline the parameters and then I'll tow the car to Henry the engine builder's shop for the final dyno tune followed by some real world/on the road micro adjustments.

Tim straps it down for the initial dyno tune.
CA_10041318441194-L.jpg

Tim spent a couple of days getting it to run fairly well before we re-install the hood and I load it up to head south where Henry performed the fine tune. While there we also install an idle air valve and program its operation into the ECU. Since I'm not using a fan on the engine, we program the start-up temp on the auxiliary electric pusher fan which is also triggered through the ECU; this is a smart little box! After three days in N.C. Henry waves his goodbye and off I go with my new old car. Given that there is some great two-lane blacktop between Henry's and the Interstate, I'd love to be behind the wheel of the Bavaria but as dictated by its need to be towed south, I have to make do with Dodge diesel and trailer. Tomorrow I can play.

As is always the case with projects of this nature, there are going to be some wrinkles to iron out and I've already had a strong hint of the first to be addressed. I spent all of the next day driving the car on back roads and though I'm careful to keep the engine within a break-in range, I find it nearly impossible to gently squeeze open the throttle from fully closed. The butterflies go from idle position to ~1/3 in a heartbeat and I fear that my new drivetrain is being abused. I make a call to Henry and we conclude that one or both of the throttle rods will need to be repositioned on the bell crank to slow the movement of the butterflies. The linkage geometry is set up for relatively slow responding Zeniths and is now opening six intake ports far too quickly, so this becomes #1 priority on the wrinkle fix list. Other than that my Day One log is quite positive: the engine starts immediately with no throttle input whether cold or warm, idles well, exhibits smooth and lineal acceleration, runs cool and sounds awesome. I feel like kid with a new toy and, since that's what I hoped for, I'm pretty stoked. My wife and I have committed to joining the Vintage BMW group in a trip to upstate New York which commences in just four weeks so I'll need to address the throttle linkage issue soon and log some additional miles in order to test systems and add to the break-in miles.

More to come...

Jim

Last edited:

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a phone conversation about the throttle issue with Ben T., as I pass by his Chicago shop often, and then took the car there a few days later. What we learned on close inspection was that two issues were present: 1. The movement of the throttle was too rapid for the throttle bodies and 2. The butterflies were wide open at only 80% of the accelerator travel. In order to shorten and slow the travel, Ben moved the upper throttle rod ball both upward, which reduced the maximum travel, and inward toward the fulcrum to slow the opening rate. the first try was a SWAG, but it worked beautifully for both issues. I can now accelerate out of a 90 degree corner after a downshift without jarring the driveline so I can actually relax while breaking it in.

This is an approximation of the change. The horizontal rod from the pedal remain the same.
Bellcrank-L.jpg

Within about three weeks it logs 500 miles so the break-in oil is drained and replaced with 20/50 Brad Penn. It had somehow escaped me that with the new ignition system I would not have an operational tach, but an order from Electromotive for an adapter and an hour or so of installation remedies the oversight. Other than that no issues have arisen. Other than adjusting the valves at the oil change and replaced the 75C thermostat with an 80 because it ran so cool with its new radiator, the only tasks I'm performing is to tidy up the under hood wiring. The engine is running great and, very unlike when it was carbureted, it starts almost instantly whether warm or cold and without any throttle input. Acceleration is very lineal and the sound has changed from mostly mechanical to a great combination of mechanical & intake. It's reminiscent to that of my departed e28 M5 and invites bursts of throttle just to enjoy the music.

The initial ECU set-up, which is still in place today, uses manifold absolute pressure (MAP) readings from a sensor mounted to the air box for fuel metering as well as adjustments to ignition advance/retard. Although this configuration works quite well in the flatlands of the midwest and even the modest altitudes of the Carolinas, it can become very confused with more extreme air density changes occurring above ~3500ft. For that reason, and because we wish to be able to drive the car on any and all continental adventures, I am going to change from MAP to a mass air sensor (MAF) which, in conjunction with an oxygen sensor (already installed) will alleviate the shortcomings of the MAP. I now have the MAF mounted on the air box but at this point it's simply acting as an intake tube as it isn't programmed. NOTE: I am neither well versed nor technically savvy in the arena of electronic engine management. I'm on the learning curve but the incline is still sorta steep. I've been able to make some minor adjustments to the system with the laptop but they were based on specific instructions or my notes as opposed to having a comfortable understanding of what I was doing. I'm fortunate, however, in that I have had terrific assistance from the engine builder as well as the staff at Electromotive. To me, the beauty of the system is that once it's set up correctly, no changes or adjustments are required. I still think DCOEs are super cool and might actually miss the occasional points, condenser & timing routine but there's always the Farmall Super H if I have the urge to attack a distributor.

Here is the dyno result:
GRAPH%20FOR%20Bavaria%20JVO%20DJ%20equiv%20on%202016-07-21%20%40%2012-10-11-L.jpg

Figuring driveline loss the flywheel HP is about 240, a nice gain from stock, but I'm most pleased with the flat torque curve from about 2700 RPM all the way to 5500 and it's that which contributes most to the strong pull on acceleration or (especially) passing on a two lane which makes me smile every time. The numbers on the graph are all well and good but it's the real world feel of the car that's most important and I'm very happy with the end result.

The engine specs:

3.2 ltrs.
Forged 9.5:1 Wiseco pistons
Forged Crower rods
Dbilas 300 camshaft
Lightened and polished rocker arms
Dual valve springs
Cylinder head ported/polished & matched to manifold
TWM (now Borla) ITB
Bosch injectors
Crankfire ignition, Electromotive wasted spark coils
Stahl headers
Electromotive TEC gt ECU
Magnecor ignition wires
Lightened flywheel

Chassis:

Powder coated front & rear subframes and associated components
New bushings throughout
New or rebuilt steering components
22mm front bar, 18mm adjustable rear
Bilstein HD shocks
Ireland Engineering springs
Five speed OD
Limited Slip Differential

So this will be the wrap-up (I hear sighs of relief) of my project recap. It began as a straight forward M30 engine rebuild and as often happens, morphed into far more than I had envisioned. As stated very early on and after dropping the engine out the bottom with its subframe, it made no sense to make a pretty engine and then bolt it back into that grungy subframe. And if doing the front one,...well, you get the idea. It was probably at that moment I realized this might take a bit longer than I had planned for but hey,...I'm retired and this is fun! In 46 years of BMW ownership I have seen and admired quite a number of what I considered to be well done performance enhanced street cars and here was my opportunity to (attempt to) do that for myself. I learned a fair amount by doing (or) observing, met some neat and very knowledgable people along the way and am enjoying the end product. My wife asked when it will be finished and my reply was "I hope never" which I guess describes my (likely yours as well) car affliction: I can't resist the CSI (constant state of improvement) mindset and I enjoy the process of finding a solution. Since the engine project was completed I've changed front seats, added gauges to the console, modified the stock exhaust, re-routed wires, etc, all in the spirit of CSI and which can be covered in future postings to this forum. I'll attempt to do so in one sit down as opposed to this admittedly way too drawn out epistle.

The (mostly) finished engine compartment.
IMG_1276-L.jpg

I've since changed the circuitous breather tube to a positive catch system, re-routed the ignition wires through an E28 M5 loom, wrapped the red battery wires and shortened the overflow hose. Never done.

Upstate New Your Vintage tour
IMG_0093-L.jpg

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic journey! Thanks for documenting it for us to enjoy! I'm knee deep in my basic resto of my 73 Bav and this helps me stay motivated...(partly because I'm not going into nearly the depth you did...:) Looks great!!
-Stephen

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These are neat cars and I appreciate seeing them being resurrected as you are doing.

I only wish my motor looked like that. Mine's not bad, but nothing like that!! Yeah, we are the few crazy ones that treat these E3's like E9's. It's not about the money obviously, I've had my head examined and I was reassured there are a lot of loose wires up there. Some day I'll have them soldered up....but that would ruin all the fun! Keep up the great work, can't wait to see it in person some day!