Another Milwaukee e3

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
Did I notice that the photo of the car on the highway only has one aux light and the other photos have the set. What am I missing :?:

Hi John,

Very observant...please note that I made a comment above the photo. When I began having the overheating issues I removed both Oscars for improved air flow. When this photo was taken the new radiator was in place but I had only done half the job of reinstalling the lamps.

Cheers,

Jim

johnl

Reaction score
Hi John,

Very observant...please note that I made a comment above the photo. When I began having the overheating issues I removed both Oscars for improved air flow. When this photo was taken the new radiator was in place but I had only done half the job of reinstalling the lamps.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I guess I missed that part of your post but it all now makes sense.

Andysedan

Reaction score
Andycoupe......you removed all moldings or that is the way it came? Although I thankfully have the old style US bumper, I like the euro version even more so. My car is Riviera blue and everyone loves the color....but that red is awesome.

bavbob - No trim on the Eurospec models. The color is Granada. In the right light, it has a blue-ish/black-ish tint under the red.

- Andysedan (now corrected from "Andycoupe"...;))

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know that euro spec didn't get the trim, Hoffman just brought them over here with trim to move it a bit upmarket.

G-Man

Reaction score
I don't know that euro spec didn't get the trim, Hoffman just brought them over here with trim to move it a bit upmarket.

Chris,

All early E3's (69-70) 2500 & 2800 to include US spec models did not receive side molding trim from the factory. One unique feature of the early 2800 is the chrome strip on the trunk lid over the license plate which you can see in these pics. http://www.coupeking.com/listings/2800-bavaria-e3/ Differences between the early and late E3s are tail lights, front grilles, C-pillar vents and gearboxes. Early E3/E9 with a manual transmission came with a ZF gearbox and sometime in early 71 went to a getrag gearbox. Early 2500's came with chrome strip on the dash and the same area on a 2800 had a wooden fascia. Go about halfway down the pics on this page to see pics of the differences between the early and late model E3's http://www.cs-zone.com/E3 FOTO'S.htm

G-Man

johnl

Reaction score
Gordon, When was the trim under the rear license added or did all have the polished plate between tail lights?

If I understand what Chris is asking it may be due to discussions we've had. My first E3, a 1972 Agava 4 speed example had body color between the tail lights. I purchased that car in 1974 with 32K on it as I recall.

By that time the non painted panel was the norm and I wanted mine to look more current so I removed the paint in that area. Today when I see both I personally prefer the painted version.

Our current '72 in Saraha has the updated brushed aluminum panel but originally it had the painted body color version. I don't know the production date of the Agava example but the current car I believe to be later.

Another difference was our Agava had the more pointed wheel covers with trim rings but the Sahara had the later more flat style. I've updated those with the factory alloys of the day.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
At about the same time as I decided to attack the engine & driveline my friend and BMW tech., Jim K., mentioned that he had a complete L-Jet M30 engine available which had come out of a customer's e12. The engine had been tweaked by Ray Korman's shop a couple of decades earlier and though somewhat tired out now, it's capacity had been bumped up to 3.2ltrs with a crankshaft change so I agreed to buy it if we could determine that the major components were serviceable/rebuildable. We spent a couple of hours disassembling and then measuring it in his shop with positive results so the deal was done. A small bonus of the sale was that the original rebuild invoices from Korman were included in the transaction as well as a Korman parts catalogue from the period. The engine's rebuild sheets were signed off by Ray's engine guy, Henry L., who, unbeknownst to me at the time, would (once again) play a major role in the engine's third life.

I wished to reduce the reciprocating (rotating as well) mass of the crankshaft assembly so after determining the next oversize, I sent off one of the pistons from the 3.2 engine to Wiseco who precisely measured the original and then made a lightweight forged set in an appropriate size for the soon-to-be enlarged cylinder bores. A stock connecting rod was sent off to Crower, who made a forged and lightweight set.

While these two companies were making parts, I set out to find an engine builder. I wanted to find someone with extensive experience with M30 engines and with whom I could somewhat custom tailor a power plant to fit my specific intended use of the car. My search turned up mixed results; one company said in essence "We have options A, B & C, but no deviations", while another seemed willing to work with me but then abruptly stopped communication when I suggested a visit to their shop. One day while perusing engine videos on Youtube I came across a modified BMW V12 running on an engine dyno which i thought pretty nifty and that led to my discovery in N.C. of a BMW engine shop owned and operated by the same Henry L. who had once been Korman's engine guy until setting out on his own about 13 years earlier. I called Henry, was impressed with his extensive experience and found him to be very willing to work with (or put up with) me in building an engine. Within a couple of weeks the 3.2's bits and pieces were loaded into the back of my pickup truck and I was off to N.C.. I was impressed with Henry's tidy shop and we had an encouraging and agreeable conversation about achieving the desired result.

I had previously disassembled the subframes and placed an order with W&N for replacement bushings, tie rod ends, some stressed front end fasteners, differential carrier, control arms and a fairly long list of etcetera bits. Other than the above fasteners sourced new I had sent all of the original stuff out for yellow cad plating. My friend, Scott Z., a motor head of the highest order and owner of a very comprehensive tuning shop, sourced a powder coating shop for me which had a color for the suspension which was a near perfect match for the original gray. They have a number of industrial contracts which take priority but the wait was no issue for me and the stuff looked great when finished. Since placing my initial order with W&N I've started another list, but for now I can begin to reassemble the big pieces of the subframes.

My first real look at the major components from the powder guys:
IMG_0672-L.jpg

Sitting at a desktop and with caffeine handy helps my concentration.
IMG_0679-L.jpg

These part look so nice that I hate to hide 'em under the car
IMG_0675-L.jpg

My friend, Jack F., with a BMW shop in Van Nuys has helped me to find a LSD. This is exactly as found (ex. vent & carrier) in a CA. boneyard - great condition.
IMG_0691-L.jpg

In North Carolina, progress is being made:
DSCF3751-L.jpg

DSCF3750-L.jpg

The forged piston, pin and top of the forged rod weigh 630 grams, or 200 grams (.44lb) less than the stock pieces.
DSCF3740-L.jpg

DSCF3800-1-L.jpg

This clearly shows the porting work on the intake side.
DSCF3799-L.jpg

As this is taking place, however, I've had some conversations with others who either are using or have used Weber side draft set-ups and I'm beginning to have second thoughts about them for my intended use.

More to come...

Cheers, Jim

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seen at Elkhart Lake last weekend...

Hey Jim V! This looks like your car, is it? We took the coupe, the 2CV and the Fiat 500 up there Friday and Saturday; did you see us...?

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jim V, love the story and the car. Had a number of them but a committed coupe guy.

A friend has a Verona coupe. I call the color, and it is a compliment, "Whore Red."

Steve

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Jim V! This looks like your car, is it? We took the coupe, the 2CV and the Fiat 500 up there Friday and Saturday; did you see us...?

Hi Luis,

I saw the Fiat, but not the 2CV or Coupe. Apparently I wasn't paying close attention. I would like to have seen you there! Sorry for the slow response; I've been at the farm and not on-line for a while. Perhaps I'll see you on the 18th(?) for the VSCDA Concours.

Regards,

Jim

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
At about the same time as I decided to attack the engine & driveline my friend and BMW tech., Jim K., mentioned that he had a complete L-Jet M30 engine available which had come out of a customer's e12. The engine had been tweaked by Ray Korman's shop a couple of decades earlier and though somewhat tired out now, it's capacity had been bumped up to 3.2ltrs with a crankshaft change so I agreed to buy it if we could determine that the major components were serviceable/rebuildable. We spent a couple of hours disassembling and then measuring it in his shop with positive results so the deal was done. A small bonus of the sale was that the original rebuild invoices from Korman were included in the transaction as well as a Korman parts catalogue from the period. The engine's rebuild sheets were signed off by Ray's engine guy, Henry L., who, unbeknownst to me at the time, would (once again) play a major role in the engine's third life.

I wished to reduce the reciprocating (rotating as well) mass of the crankshaft assembly so after determining the next oversize, I sent off one of the pistons from the 3.2 engine to Wiseco who precisely measured the original and then made a lightweight forged set in an appropriate size for the soon-to-be enlarged cylinder bores. A stock connecting rod was sent off to Crower, who made a forged and lightweight set.

While these two companies were making parts, I set out to find an engine builder. I wanted to find someone with extensive experience with M30 engines and with whom I could somewhat custom tailor a power plant to fit my specific intended use of the car. My search turned up mixed results; one company said in essence "We have options A, B & C, but no deviations", while another seemed willing to work with me but then abruptly stopped communication when I suggested a visit to their shop. One day while perusing engine videos on Youtube I came across a modified BMW V12 running on an engine dyno which i thought pretty nifty and that led to my discovery in N.C. of a BMW engine shop owned and operated by the same Henry L. who had once been Korman's engine guy until setting out on his own about 13 years earlier. I called Henry, was impressed with his extensive experience and found him to be very willing to work with (or put up with) me in building an engine. Within a couple of weeks the 3.2's bits and pieces were loaded into the back of my pickup truck and I was off to N.C.. I was impressed with Henry's tidy shop and we had an encouraging and agreeable conversation about achieving the desired result.

I had previously disassembled the subframes and placed an order with W&N for replacement bushings, tie rod ends, some stressed front end fasteners, differential carrier, control arms and a fairly long list of etcetera bits. Other than the above fasteners sourced new I had sent all of the original stuff out for yellow cad plating. My friend, Scott Z., a motor head of the highest order and owner of a very comprehensive tuning shop, sourced a powder coating shop for me which had a color for the suspension which was a near perfect match for the original gray. They have a number of industrial contracts which take priority but the wait was no issue for me and the stuff looked great when finished. Since placing my initial order with W&N I've started another list, but for now I can begin to reassemble the big pieces of the subframes.

My first real look at the major components from the powder guys:
IMG_0672-L.jpg

Sitting at a desktop and with caffeine handy helps my concentration.
IMG_0679-L.jpg

These part look so nice that I hate to hide 'em under the car
IMG_0675-L.jpg

My friend, Jack F., with a BMW shop in Van Nuys has helped me to find a LSD. This is exactly as found (ex. vent & carrier) in a CA. boneyard - amazing.
IMG_0691-L.jpg

In North Carolina, progress is being made:
DSCF3751-L.jpg

DSCF3750-L.jpg

DSCF3740-L.jpg

DSCF3800-1-L.jpg

DSCF3799-L.jpg

As this is taking place, however, I've had some conversations with others who either are using or have used Weber side draft set-ups and I'm beginning to have second thoughts about them for my intended use.

More to come...

Cheers, Jim

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought that I would take a little time off between installments, but a year and a half is more than I envisioned. Sometimes life intervenes and/or maybe it's simply the procrastination factor. In either case I thought it time to bring the story closer to where it is today. Sorry for the huge gap.

And yes, at this point in the process I'm having second thoughts about using Webers. On one hand there's nary an induction set-up as good looking and business-like as a trio (or pair) of DCOEs on a BMW engine but I keep reminding myself that I'm (at the very least) somewhat carburetor impaired. I've had cars with Solex PII40, Zenith 40 TIN, Weber IDA, etc. and with the possible exception of the Zeniths, I never mastered the art of diagnosing issues and tweaking adjustments of multiple carbs. And when emulsion tubes, main jets, air jets, idle jets and venturi tubes are thrown into the equation I'm totally sunk. Nevertheless I can't get past the look of six individual runners and then just about the time the engine is being reassembled I learn of TWM induction systems (then The Weber Man, now part of Borla) and this seems to be my perfect alternative as it maintains my long held vision of a great looking M30 induction system while entering the car and me into the modern era of ECU. I don't know it quite yet, but soon I'll enter into a steep learning curve of entirely new nomenclature such as MAF, MAP, TPS, Idle Control Valves, Crank Position Sensors, etc., etc....But I''m enthused about what's ahead and quite pleased that there will be six butterflys on the intake side.

I'm going to fast forward a bit so to be able to get this wrapped up. A couple of months after making the ITB decision I'm able to retrieve the engine from Henry's shop and here's the package:

DSC_2371-L.jpg

DSC_2366-L.jpg

I had a number of brackets powder coated as well as bits and pieces freshly cad plated during the rebuild process and Henry did a great job of maintaining my vision of detail. I added a new starter, alternator, rebuilt power steering pump (which unfortunately will leak like a sieve from day one) and a rotary AC compressor. Might as well start off with day one with everything fresh.

At the point of deciding on fuel injection I knew that much of the subsequent installation details including, but certainly not limited to, ECU wiring, fuel delivery (and return), fabrication of air box, miscellaneous brackets and mounting pads, etc. were out of my skill set, but just at the right moment my good friend, Scott Z., owner of a high tech tuning/fabricating shop and employer of highly skilled technicians stepped forward to pick up the project for the next phase. In addition to Scott, my long-time BMW pal, Jenny M., enthusiastically volunteered to add her expertise.

The details of the engine as received are:

3.2 liters (crankshaft change)
9,5/1 compression
Forged Pistons from Wiesco (they scanned the originals and duplicated the piano tops) and forged rods from Crower
Dbilas 300 camshaft - dual valve springs
Port & polish intake and exhaust and match to intake/Stahl headers
Lightened flywheel and HD clutch

I'l be back shortly with details of the progress.

Cheers,
Jim

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful, it's motors like this that make me rethink about keeping the motor stock. After months of tweaking the Zeniths to get them just right. I will stay the course for now. But as soon as they start becoming a problem, meaning more than a once a year tune at the miles I drive. I will be asking you for advice. Awesome!

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, I took a very short break. I'm headed out of town for a few days on a "Hey Dad, I have a new job in Philly, can I count on you for the truck and trailer?" road trip but wanted to post a few images of the terrific fabrication that went into the project. Jenny thought this stuff out, made cardboard templates and then Scott's guy, Tim, followed up with some amazing skills in fabricating and (artwork) aluminum welding. Some examples:

The engine and aluminum radiator are now in place and Tim has made a base for the wasted spark coils.
IMG_0565-L.jpg

The original coolant manifold is going to interfere with the number one intake so it needs a slight bend.
403125_10151105086352062_597088154_n-L.jpg

The F.I. system requires an air tight box for air delivery so we begin by making a plate which attaches to the throttle bodies. It requires a slight bump out in one section for throttle rod clearance and also six spacers behind the 35mm velocity stacks for added strength; the box is essentially hanging from the throttle bodies.
423299_10151149831787062_1102124844_n-L.jpg

Jenny likes to record assembly stuff in great detail.
3872_10151160818442062_466392910_n-L.jpg

After making a cardboard mockup(s) of the box and a multitude of precise measurements, this is the air box which Tim creates and which will mount to the plate on the stacks. We solve the issue of dipstick placement by welding a small access tube though the box. A separate top (not shown here) is required for access to the allen head mounting screws which hold it securely to the intake's threaded mounting holes. The top will be sealed with double-sided foam tape. I'll show the finished assembly in a later image. At the front of the box is the intake snorkel. Tim makes nice welds, eh?
securedownload-L.jpg

Here's the finished box mounted which shows the spacers and stacks. I haven't yet gotten into the subject of the (elephant in the room) vacuum brake booster, but this image hints slightly to our solution which I will cover later in some detail.
DSC_3838-L.jpg

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited: