Aux Air Valve

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
Currently having a problem with the idle speed of my csi not wanting to drop below about 1500rpm even when hot so have narrowed it down to the Auxiliary air valve and the assosciated filter.

I have been trying to hunt a replacement valve down but am becoming a little confused with some conflicting part numbers.

Are all of these parts the same?
Which one is correct for a 74 csi?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Wladek

Reaction score
Currently having a problem with the idle speed of my csi not wanting to drop below about 1500rpm even when hot so have narrowed it down to the Auxiliary air valve and the assosciated filter.

I have been trying to hunt a replacement valve down but am becoming a little confused with some conflicting part numbers.

Are all of these parts the same?
Which one is correct for a 74 csi?

Thanks in advance for any advice
The only correct for genuine D-Jetronic is 11611255284

11611255282 is for L-Jetronic, these part don't have additional exit for the air filter (that little one).

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Wladek

While looking for a replacement part I have found that 11611263200 is the replacement for 11611255284 (according to getbmwparts.com)

DDA097BD-288E-4610-8E76-96C0D007990C.png

So are both these numbers the same part?

Anyone had any experience with getbmwparts.com?

Wladek

Reaction score
While looking for a replacement part I have found that 11611263200 is the replacement for 11611255284 (according to getbmwparts.com)
No it's not, they have a mistake in their system.
L-Jetronic might look pretty close to D-Jetronic, but technically is completely different principals of operation (measurements & fuel system management).

Don't look on E3 because only early E3 had D-Jet, later (from 74') all had L-Jet.
All CSI's and CSiL road versions (even 75') used only D-Jet.
According to my parts catalogue 11611263200 is for:
E12
150x80

E23
150x80

E24
150x80

E3
150x80

Last edited:

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
"284" (E9 ) is shown as common to E12,23&24 ..."200 " is shown as E12,23&24 so I guess it follows that it's also common to E9 . Regardless, I suspect it's NLA even though it appears on getbmwparts

Wladek

Reaction score
Last edited:

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...not sure fuel of your point ...once the engine is up to running temperature and the AAV piston closes it makes no difference (IMHO )....I am using later model AAV and has been working fine for 12 months or so . Are we talking about the same thing ?

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
...not sure fuel of your point ...once the engine is up to running temperature and the AAV piston closes it makes no difference (IMHO )....I am using later model AAV and has been working fine for 12 months or so . Are we talking about the same thing ?

Do you happen to know the part number of the part you are currently using?

Wladek

Reaction score
I'm not saying it will not work at all, because never had D-jet with L-jet AAV, to say so - i'm just saying that it might not work 100% properly.
Maybe it doesn't really matter, but:
1. D-jet use additional air intake in AAV, L-jet doesn't.
2. L-jet use additional sensor in AAV.
3. D-jet have slightly different design of main intake manifold (D-jet have temperature sensor in place where L-jet have pressure inlet).

Marc-M

Reaction score
Dear All
I have been on the BMW classic web site and found the part, and purchased it - i have tried the BMW dealerships but they say its NLA..

i think bmw parts are all a mess and no one knows what they have....

Anyhow - got the part today and is the same as mu old unit

The part number is 11 61 1 263 200

And here are the pictures.....

IMG_4601.JPG
IMG_4602.JPG

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a company Called Blunt Tech that E24 and E12 guys used called Blunt Tech. They have a store in Canada as well as one in the US I think they are able to bring Euro parts in through Canada, at least they were able to, and then ship into the US. It's worth a try

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dear All
I have been on the BMW classic web site and found the part, and purchased it - i have tried the BMW dealerships but they say its NLA..

i think bmw parts are all a mess and no one knows what they have....

Anyhow - got the part today and is the same as mu old unit

The part number is 11 61 1 263 200

And here are the pictures.....

View attachment 77862View attachment 77861

Price ?

Thank you.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
mine was not fully closing, and I found the US seller of new stat 'bulbs' AAVpart .com, which is the ebay listing above. I also found a youtube video showing a M-B AAV been pulled apart using only a hammer and a well-sized socket. Then I read that a squeeze of the brass bulb in a vice is a very easy workaround for a slow moving AAV, as it alters the position of the internal cylinder within the valve (not if the AAV is fully seized of course).
I've adjusted my valve so that it is fully closed at ~70C instead of ~85C

I don't think this should be considered fully fixed, but it has made my E9 much better to drive. I think the chronic air leak was mucking up the fuelling and slowing the throttle response, and this issue is now gone. When cold it needs a bit more throttle when starting and pulling off

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve been rebuilding these for several years. I sell for about 100.00 less than bmw classic.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Don, yes I did reach out to Carl on a rebuilt AAV. I suspect the import duty to the UK would be the killer. I'll see how I go with my crimped AAV.

I did also reach out to Bosch Classic re their part no. F 026 T03 038, which is a replacement stat bulb for Bosch AAVs

Bosch were adamant that this bulb was only suitable for mechanical fuel injection, thus not d-jet. In my opinion, so long as it would physically fit into a d-jet AAV that would be a good enough option. If it opens/ closes the AAV at a slightly different engine temp, so be it. It really just needs to be fully closed at operating temps

for completeness of info, the Bosch part no. for the d-jet AAV is 0 280 140 018 (currently discontinued)