Baikal blue... did it ever changed? how can I find the correct shade?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today's paints vary from brand to brand and utilize entirely different ingredients and formulations from what was used in the 70s. To get an exact match you need to find an unmolested piece of metal with that color on it and have the supplier match it unfortunately.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for being off-line so long.... to many things in my head and little progress on the car.

Nicad: Sorry for pushing, but could you post those pics? They would be really useful.

rsporsche: I live in Querétaro, Mexico. That picture you posted is the exact color I had in mind! Is that really Baikal? thanks for posting it.

I am still puzzled and debating myself over painting the car Baikal blue or not. The sample I got from my paint shop looks a little too light for my taste in sunlight and very nice with a rich and somwhat darker aspect on shade.

Thanks,
Victor
My apologies for forgetting to do this. My Computer is being repaired and it has the SD card reader. HopefullyI get it back soon.

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
My apologies for forgetting to do this. My Computer is being repaired and it has the SD card reader. HopefullyI get it back soon.

Thanks Bob! No problem at all. I hope your computer gets fixed soon.

I am still a few days away of painting the engine area. It is mostly prepared now but we are in the process of installing the Insullation material (I got Wurth). Paint will probably follow next week.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glauserit OEM paint

3.0CS,

I stripped and painted my project 1974 3.0 CS in July and I went from the original 055 Anthracite Gray to 065 Turkis. In order to insure that I had a spot on and original OEM color (1973,74,75) I went with Glauserit paint. Glauserit is the original paint for our Coupes. Richard Leong at ALL Quality Restoration, in Orange, Ca., did an outstanding job on my prep, metal and paint job and used only Glauserit paint products including etching primer after the walnut shell media blast (a yellowish tint), sealer (gray tone), paint and clear. All he needed to tell Glauserit was the name Turkis and the paint code 065.

A sticking point for most shops is the cost (3X other German high end paints) and limited distribution of Glauserit in the US. I worked with Richard on the cost and picked up the overage in comparison to what he thought the paint supply costs would be when he bid it. I am very happy with the results and cost and know that I have a Coupe that is painted in a factory color.

I would be very surprised if any of the name and paint codes have changed over the years. One way to get a spot on sample of the color you want is to contact a Glauserit distributor and ask for 2 or 3 color name/code samples and if you don't want to go with Glauserit have your paint shop match the Glauserit as closely as they and you can.

Regards, Jon

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jon,

Thanks! I will try to find a Glasurit distributor in my area, though I am pretty confident that the sample I got now is a very close match.

Victor

Henrik

Reaction score
My car is painted with
Dupont Cromax CG534
042 Baikal effect (waterborne)
I´m very satisfied!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a Sample photo of Baikal taken from a BMW Colour sample Brochure. It was taken under daylight away from direct sunlight with a Lumix LX5 point and shoot.

Sorry for the delay

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys:

A small update. I could find no Glasurit supplier, but I got samples made from RM and also from Standox.

Today, with the Standox local distributor, I may have discovered why I see mainly two very different shades of Baikal blue. It turns out their system shows two Baikal blues, for BMW, from 1968 to 1974 (that is what the screen of the computer said). They printed the formulas for me and made a simple of each. They couldn't be more different (well, actually, they could, but they are quite different).

I am attaching pics of the formulas. You will notice that the main difference in the data (not inthe formula) is that one says: Formula date: 30/09/1997 while the other one says: 27/10/1989.

So, the formula really changed. I am inclined to go with the older formula as it resembles more the car I have in mind when it was new... but of course my memory and 40 years time can play tricks on me.

I would love to find out if there was an earlier formula, the one used really in the 60's and 70's, which might have gotten superseded by the 1989 formula. Is there any chance anybody out there has the formula?

Thanks,
victor

Attachments

• 20131003_174928.jpg
    20131003_174928.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 20131003_174948.jpg
    20131003_174948.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 267

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
And here is a couple of pics of the three samples I got... I understand light, angle, camera, monitor will play tricks and you will not be able to see it the way I see it:

On the first two pics with direct sun light:

The RM sample is the one at the bottom, nice clean blue, but a little light. Very fine metallic particle.

The Standox newer formula, upper left, has a bit more grayish or even Golden tint, so the blue is not so bright, I coudl say it looks like dirty. It has very fine metallic particle.

The Standox older formula, upper right, shows more blueish and slightly purplish tint. It is really nice, and resembles what I remember... my only question is the metallic particles, as they are noticeable.

On the last pic, inside the shop, on shadow:

The RM is on the left, Standox new in the center, and Standox old at right.

That is how different the cameras capture them.

Anyhow, I guess my final question would be about metallic particle size. Was the original Baikal blue a color in which you could actually see the metallic particle (medium silver) or is it supposed to be a real flat and smooth metallic (very fine silver), the type of which you know they are metallic but cannot see the particles unless you really get way close?

Attachments

• Baikal blue, Standox new, Standox old and RM in the bottom, 1.jpg
    Baikal blue, Standox new, Standox old and RM in the bottom, 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Baikal blue, Standox new, Standox old and RM in the bottom, 2.jpg
    Baikal blue, Standox new, Standox old and RM in the bottom, 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 249
  • Baikal blue, RM, Standox new, Standox old.jpg
    Baikal blue, RM, Standox new, Standox old.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 318

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The metal flake is measured in Microns, can they tell you what size it is? Back in 60/70s it was 1 Micron or thereabouts, US manufacturers used 5 Microns, quite a difference! I think here smallest is best.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Third Picture in your left hand looks very nice in contrast-just my opinion through my screen but reminds me of the old BMW's from the 70's most.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
As most Baikal coupes I have seen have been repainted at some time in their history difficult to really know what the original color was (although one would hope they were color matched at the time).

If you or someone else has a panel which has not been repainted (underside of trunk lid?) perhaps it would be possible to have it checked on a color analyzer. May not be exact, but should identify components which could then assist in determining which of the current color formulas is closer. Of course if such a panel is available a visual check would probably do close to the same thing.

Baikal is my favorite color on these cars. Good luck on the hunt.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the only place, other than perhaps the actual color charts, is the inside of a trunk of a baikal car that is covered by the trunk panels. these areas are rarely repainted and have rarely seen the light of day - unless a car has been completely stripped and repainted. i have some small areas in my trunk that are baikal - but since the PO repainted the coupe black (including engine compartment and most of the trunk - there are some areas around the gas tank and the tail lights that are still baikal. perhaps under the tool box - haven't taken that off.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There's a coupe owner here I met for the first time the other day who's car is baikal and appears original. Next time I see him I will inquire further but he's not real active in the coupe community but I will try.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
There's a coupe owner here I met for the first time the other day who's car is baikal and appears original. Next time I see him I will inquire further but he's not real active in the coupe community but I will try.

You can see the metallic in the paint, very fine metallic, the early one listed is correct, the dirty or grey one is NOT, FROM WHAT I KNOW, THE RM sample is correct, my 72 tii was this color and also one of my favorite colors.....we had an NOS panel to match from, the earlier formula was made from late 60's to 1970 something.....