Baikal blue... did it ever changed? how can I find the correct shade?

gwittman

Reaction score
The Baikalpaint under my trunk is still original and in very good condition. When I wanted an aerosol touch paint for a replacement part under the hood, they did not want to use a color analyzer. They wanted me to choose from their vast number of color chips. I was able to select one that was very close. Unfortunately, the formula didn't give the color it was supposed to. It looked like there was not enough metallic in it.

Their excuse was, aerosol paints rarely match like bulk paints do. They were willing to try to get a better match but I accepted it as is because it was hidden under the hood. At least they gave me a discount.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Mine was Sienna before so I do not have an old sample.

Sorry for not having more but my mechanic is a bit of a tease, not sending too many pics :)

I will post a lot more when I visit the car later this year.

Baikal seems tricky to get a good grasp of how it used to look, Ceylon seems even worse. It was my plan B but after googling pics and seeing maybe 20 cars I was none the wiser and deemed it too risky.

Gernstetter

Reaction score

Sorry for not having more but my mechanic is a bit of a tease, not sending too many pics :)

Baikal seems tricky to get a good grasp of how it used to look, Ceylon seems even worse. It was my plan B but after googling pics and seeing maybe 20 cars I was none the wiser and deemed it too risky.

if anyone wants the correct Baikal formula, call Skip McCabe in Mundelein Illinois.....he painted my TII.....847-949-8340.....he is THE GUY for multi-million Ferrarri in the United States....his painting is very exact...and expensive....

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ever enigmatic Baikal

It looks different under different light but look at this color...

I swear it looks Baikal blue. It is the color of the rented Chevrolet Malibu that I am driving this week in Florida...
It has more of a grayish blue cast in real life.

DerSchwede

Reaction score

My experience is that the Standox paint (made in Germany) comes very close to the original spec. Many good paint shops in Sweden use Standox so there are good chances for you to get it right. Send me a PN if you want a good reference in your area.

Cheers
Anders

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have new experience with the baikal blau colour

used glasurit paint

this is a fascinating colour, check the pics, no flash seems grey, with flash more blue,

022D9AEA-4F71-4130-9617-A30012B419D5.jpeg
81984B84-B527-43E3-8CC1-06439AB7CC7D.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when i was looking for the correct formula for Ceylon, my painter - who has painted porsche for decades and is very familiar with Glasurit found that there were many of the components have changed and the formulas don't work any longer. Glasurit said the ceylon color was okay for a total repaint but would not match the original. my painter did some research and mound a formula that got a 1 rating on matching the original. i have original baikal in the trunk of my coupe. it changes greatly depending on the lighting - especially sunlight as deQ has mentioned. its a great color. if there weren't already several baikal coupes in ATL i probably would have gone back to the original ... but ceylon was the right choice for me.

just like ceylon, baikal varies greatly depending on who paints it and which paint it is. i would try to find somebody who will loan you an original headlight access cover.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it does look very similar ... as well as similar to the color on the inside of my trunk. my question + comment is regarding matching exactly with the original. for instance, in California and a few other states, you are using water base paints where the original formulas were solvent base and the components of each (colorwise) are very different to achieve the exact result. the interesting thing is that some of the cool colors are easier to do correctly with some of the high-end water base paints. my ceylon is water base, but will have clear lacquer over it.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No water based paints for me. Outside of major population centers you can paint with original paints.