Bat #4355016

RonP

Reaction score
Ron, just got through most of your photobucket. Anyone who wishes to purchase one of these cars should be forced (kind of like A Clockwork Orange) to look at each picture. If "a" picture says a thousand words my ears are ringing!

Peter, you are NOT kidding! Here is how you can easily be fooled by a "made over" coupe as opposed to a restored coupe. Here are a few photos of how the car looked when I bought it. Looks like a pretty nice example!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ronperry/library/CSL2275483?sort=3&page=1

Yes, it is a blue stripe but not correct in any way.

shanon

Reaction score
aux gauge pod

Hi Ron,

Thx for sharing pics, I came across the dash's aux gauge pod and am curious if you know anything about them. I believe they are a euro aftermarket accessory, mine originally held period VDO metric oil pressure and amps guages in the same location.

I stripped its black paint to find a darn close matching wood then relocated and re-purposed it ;-) It now houses (covertly) Autometer shift and red failure lites.

Curious if other coupers have encountered this gauge pod in their ramblings.

RonP

Reaction score
Time for an update! Car is stripped down and found very little "visible" rust. I expected some around the the window rubber, but it was all very dry. Still concerned about the strut towers and the leading and trailing edge of the wheel arches. Elvis is ready for the paint shop. Got a quote for $30k...ouch!! Going with it anyway as I know the end result from previous work.

Photos:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Does $30k include all the stripping and necessary metal work? Any additional rust preventative measure included? That and all the paint prep, spray, wet sand and final details sounds like $30k to me based on what I've seen in Canada.

RonP

Reaction score
Does $30k include all the stripping and necessary metal work? Any additional rust preventative measure included? That and all the paint prep, spray, wet sand and final details sounds like $30k to me based on what I've seen in Canada.

Yes, it includes everything you mentioned.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Truly- thanks! That picture and that $ figure answers a lot of questions that have plagued many on the site!

you have to wonder what the premium is because its a BAT, and everything has to be done just right because everybody paying the kind of money necessary for that car ... expects it to be done right with no shortcuts. also, the metal is thinner on the roof and in other places, and you have to use less invasive (read slower) techniques to get it ready.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cheese and rice ! That's a ton of money.

It would be great if the body shop could photograph their process and progress.

RonP

Reaction score
Is this the same shop that did the body work and welding on the Rahal car?

Yes. Same one. it is so hard to find a good body shop these days, one that you can rely on and it will put forth a good effort to get things done on time

TodB

Reaction score
I guess it depends upon what you get for $30K. A 'respray" should not cost $30K for example. Whatever respray means. It seems to mean different things to different people.

There is a certain level of body prep required with every coupe which is predicated in part by what you find under the existing paint and then to what level the shop "brings it back", i.e. are corners cut with bondo or is the rust properly cut out with new metal properly welded back in with the operative word being "properly". This is based in part on the expertise of the shop doing the work (do they know what they are doing, do they know how to weld, etc.) along with the client's checkbook and willingness to do it right and not cut corners due to time or budget because once the new paint is back on, its more difficult to see how the work was done unless there are photos taken along the way. In short, proper body work costs can add up fast and it can take much longer than anticipated if done correctly.

Cost and type of paint, etc. also play into it but its really all in the prep. I'm convinced painting is more art than science.

I've had the opportunity to see how to do the prep right along with those that were shortcutted because once you pull the old paint off, there is no hiding the butchery. Some of the shortcuts were just plain scary.