BAT 70 white 2800

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coming in hot! I didn’t photoshop any images. I darkened an image with my iphone to highlight the area I was discussing (per request mind you). You can critique my approach all you want, but the tail of that car has filler around it.

To each their own but the benefit of a forum like
this to to help buyers make an educated decision. They can use the info that I posted to seek clarification from the seller. Once they buy the car they get no critique from the forum, only support. There is probably enough body filler on the collective forum member cars to fill an olympic sized swimming pool. It doesn’t take away from the aesthetics but it is nice to know it is there and what might be underneath. You act as if expressing concerns of rust or accident damage is a taboo.

I’ll look at those CSL’s later to appease my curiosity. The first one is a highly modified basket case CSL batmobile tribute aimed to capitalize on the e9 price bubble. It went from asking $90K to $250K in 3 years. I don’t see evidence of a sunroof but like many profit-oriented sales the pics are few and far between.

Yes, a handful of CSLs came with factory sunroofs.

As far as your comments on the body, you state,
"I’m really not trying to judge, just inform buyers since they are looking at pictures on a keyboard. I am not a body guy or used car purchaser."

So you stated for the record that you are not an expert.

We all happen to be looking at the pictures on a keyboard. The difference is you are enlarging by 1000%, then photoshopping and then claiming you saw the Virgin Mary on the tail end of the car.

The listing states it was painted in the 90s, so it's possible the trunk lid was not adjusted properly? Maybe it did have some work, but your previous distorted photo work is very misleading.

We have to be careful with our opinions without actually seeing the car.

Just saying...

rswanson

Reaction score
No.

So it's OK to distort photos of cars for sale, then repost the modified photos and claim "look at this"? The distorted photos were showing a shadow, but claimed to have been a "line" from a bad repair.
This is not accurate. I don't have a problem with the latest photos that were posted and there's no "line" in the photos.

When you say "edges around the tail light", are you referring to the "reflection" above the brake light portion of the left tail light?

I always treat others as I would like to be treated.

It's one thing to post a photo and say "It looks like...in my opinion", but that's not what happened.

It's the previous photos that were altered with the added effects that are not present. Clearly misleading.

rswanson

Reaction score
Ok, enough said. You are entitled to your opinion. I joined the forum to help find an e9 to do a restomod. I appreciate the help and advice that this forum provides.
Thank you

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why I'm going down this rabbit hole as you will likely disappear as fast as you arrived.

Let me ask you this. At what point in this thread did I say that I thought that the car had work done on the rear? Was it when I was asking if anyone could see a rear line? Was it it when another member asked me to clarify? No - it was after I posted additional supporting pictures and made a conclusion. I am not an expert as mentioned. I asked for input and offered my amateur opinion. I don't like to welcome new members this way but you came in here guns blazing vigorously defending a car that is listed on BAT. Why? You will also notice that I didn't post anything about this on BAT, other than "take a look at the driver's corner".

Go take a look at the new member section. Whether they happened to realize it not many of the cars listed in there were picked apart and critiqued while on sale. Go to their welcome threads and you will find nothing but greetings and open arms.

I'm just not quite sure what your end goal is here.

No.

So it's OK to distort photos of cars for sale, then repost the modified photos and claim "look at this"? The distorted photos were showing a shadow, but claimed to have been a "line" from a bad repair.
This is not accurate. I don't have a problem with the latest photos that were posted and there's no "line" in the photos.

When you say "edges around the tail light", are you referring to the "reflection" above the brake light portion of the left tail light?

I always treat others as I would like to be treated.

It's one thing to post a photo and say "It looks like...in my opinion", but that's not what happened.

It's the previous photos that were altered with the added effects that are not present. Clearly misleading.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, enough said. You are entitled to your opinion. I joined the forum to help find an e9 to do a restomod. I appreciate the help and advice that this forum provides.
Thank you

Bid on the 2800CS - it is a very pretty car!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why should we not speak up about worrying signs of bad body work on a car that's for sale?

To each their own but the benefit of a forum like
this to to help buyers make an educated decision.

I agree that a prospective buyer can learn a lot about a car from observers on this forum, even if commentators here have not seen the car in person - photos reveal as much as they can obscure. In my own personal case, I jokingly recall that I ignored ALL advice (and common sense). I was going to buy my car whether I knew it had issues or not. So in that instance, no amount of input from my now immensely trusted friends here would have talked me out of it. :D

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad. Could be just shadows.

1970_bmw_2800_cs_1540582340574fa7b921332800cs-exterior-6.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that a prospective buyer can learn a lot about a car from observers on this forum, even if commentators here have not seen the car in person - photos reveal as much as they can obscure. In my own personal case, I jokingly recall that I ignored ALL advice (and common sense). I was going to by my car whether I knew it had issues or not. So in that instance, no amount of input from my now immensely trusted friends here would have talked me out of it. :D

I did the exact same thing. I believe that I was told to "run" :D My car is a POS. I'm trying to be observant, not an elitist.
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e9-find-please-help-with-the-value-pics-inside.17883/

Doesn't look bad. Could be just shadows.

I agree that it doesn't look bad. The car looks very nice. I wish my car looked this nice. :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can figure the trunk lid out, it doesn't appear there is any room to adjust it up to eliminate the overhang? So how else to explain, the rear section isn't long enough or the lid is incorrect?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
In my unprofessional, old eyes, staring at a white car on a monitor opinion, that car has been tapped in the rear. All these opinions mean is that some of them bring light to areas of a car that might need to be looked at a little closer. The flip side is, a coupe sells somewhere and the new owner joins the forum all excited. He shows off the car and describes some areas of the car that he's didn't notice before purchasing and a bunch of us here chime in and say, "Oh yeah, we all saw that stuff but didn't say anything". If I were the buyer I'd like to hear those opinions and check it out before purchasing. If I'm the seller it gives me a chance to explain or show better photos in some cases.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing. I believe that I was told to "run" :D My car is a POS. I'm trying to be observant, not an elitist.
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e9-find-please-help-with-the-value-pics-inside.17883/
Ha ha - I remember reading that thread a few years ago. It was very... refreshing as it was a template for my car purchase. And look how far you've come! The whole "parts car" equation has been rocked. Seriously, though, you and I both need to get to work on our project cars. :D

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have seen other coupes with the overhanging trunk lid, the rear was hit and not repaired properly in the ones I’ve seen, this MAY be the case here.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can figure the trunk lid out, it doesn't appear there is any room to adjust it up to eliminate the overhang? So how else to explain, the rear section isn't long enough or the lid is incorrect?
Let's just say that I happen to know (through personal experience) that there "can" be a causal link to a rear end that has been tapped and a deck lid that overhangs as it does in these pictures. :confused:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad we can’t bookmark pages, this one discussed possible CSL sunroofs, I trust Henric’s opinion. 4-5 LHD and 2-3 RHD special customer orders.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/lhd-csl-in-oz.28182/#post-220241

Thanks! I definitely trust Henric’s comments also. One of the “historians” that I was referring to in a different thread.

Let's just say that I happen to know (through personal experience) that there "can" be a causal link to a rear end that has been tapped and a deck lid that overhangs as it does in these pictures. :confused:

Oh come on own it and pay the consequence when you sell it! :D

This is my car from two owners back:

Gas tank was new in 87'. Was rear ended so much of the back end was reworked including the new tank. Took 6 months to get all of the parts. Had a 6 month car rental bill for them. Ha, never hit a classic. Had the entire car painted at that time. Rust cut out of a number of spots.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that a prospective buyer can learn a lot about a car from observers on this forum, even if commentators here have not seen the car in person - photos reveal as much as they can obscure. In my own personal case, I jokingly recall that I ignored ALL advice (and common sense). I was going to buy my car whether I knew it had issues or not. So in that instance, no amount of input from my now immensely trusted friends here would have talked me out of it. :D

Sheesh, I myself lurked as a visitor on this forum for several years before buying my coupe, which had all the faults and rust in all the wrong places - totally ignoring the good advice I had previously read here.:D
I think it's quite common!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sheesh, I myself lurked as a visitor on this forum for several years before buying my coupe, which had all the faults and rust in all the wrong places - totally ignoring the good advice I had previously read here.:D
I think it's quite common!
And I must say that while there are areas and aspects of my car that I "certainly should have known about" and cannot at all be surprised by, there are other areas that are refreshingly solid and I am quite frankly tickled that I am lucky enough to have this level of soundness in the car (and therefore soundness in my reasoning for this purchase :confused:). We hear what we want - and fabricate and weld the rest.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
AUCTION RESULTS
Winning Bid USD $36,500

Not bad me thinks.

First thing I'd do as the new owner is to find me a OEM power sunroof interior panel thing and recover.

Being an automatic, wife would definitely enjoy this car.