Beautiful 72 on SD craigslist

acat2002

Reaction score
I guess I was confused by the engine bay picture posted earlier (which although stunning does not belong to the car in question).

From the one picture, aside from the red door panels, the interior looked fairly stock...and nice.

Maybe $30k is a lofty goal, but still not laughing territory.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
BarryG,

I actually worked a swap with one of Carl's mechanics. I gave him a '74 CS I had at the time and in exchange he converted my '73 CS into the 3.5L, FI, 1.3 Motronic, and 5spd. This was in 2004 and he told me that this job would normally run into the low teens. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how much the 1.3 swap costs alone; not because I don't want to share, but unfortunately I am in a very sandy place that ain't the beach and I don't have my records now. I can say that from the results of his work, I was very happy and feel that I did well on my end of the deal.

**I am in no way saying that others can work similar deals with Carl's shop, so please don't use my experience to think that you can horse trade with him or his guys. I have had a lot of work done with Carl and even bought coupes he recommended. They have always been friendly with me and valued my business**

Chicane,

I agree that you can go over the top with performance upgrades that overwhelm the character of a "street" e9. However, I don't agree that the ones done to this coupe go that far. Engine wise, the conversion is pretty standard and, from personal experience with this conversion, it really enhances the driving experience. I think coupes mod'd like this tend to have a higher premium than unmolested models because if done correctly and tastefully (taste is in the eye of the beholder I know) you have a more satisfying car. Unless you are talking about a CSL, I don't think there are a whole lot of buyers who value origniality over performance, reliability, and the amount of rust in a CS/CSi.

As for how much a blueprinted M30B35 goes for? I would say $5K would be on the light side for one of the better known shops (LaJolla, Metric Mechanic, Korman). But if you found a shop to rebuild an M30 for $5K, that price probably wouldn't include the fuel system (carb'd or FI), wiring, ECU, or install. My guess is that would run you an additional $5K; hence, my estimate that he has at least $10K in the engine alone. In all seriousness, if you have a found a shop to do this for less please let me know and I will check them out as I want to drop a fresh 3.5L or S38 into my '74. Dynotech in Oceanside, CA has quoted me "around" $5500 for an S38 swap or a "little less" for the 3.5L but that is a straight install with no work done on the motor.

Walt

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...and Four speed with no LSD and it's FI converted w/ the euro manifold but IIRC it's a CS shell and VIN. Roy who owns it lives directly across from LJ Independent. I passed.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ran, what was the put-off?

If a CS has a sound body, good mechanicals an fresh engine, a 5 speed and good as new paint the price seems fair. I would never go into it sight unseen at that price but, and here is a qualifier, but if you are not mechanically inclined or do not have time to work on a car then I suspect a person could easily spend that kind of money piecemeal.

Good sound CS $8,000
New leather interior $3,000
New engine $5,000 or more
5 speed conversion $1,000
Paint $12,000

Total $29,000
air dam $600 installed and painted (I happen to like the "Paul Cain" airdam)

Stan

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ran,

Are you talking about the intake manifold? Looks stock to me, but maybe I'm thrown off by the overhead view...yeah, if it has a 4spd on that engine, that's a bit of a let down.

Stan,

Based on my experience, I'd tack on a few thousand more for a truly sound (rust-free) coupe and add another grand if the 5spd conversion is from auto to manual.

-Walt

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A Bargain?

There you go Walter, if it looks as good close up I would go with that price and be pleased!

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not For Sale

Here's a question..

How much would you sell your car for?
Stan I think your car is a fine example of a rust free/clean/3.5..coupe

IF I were to sell it I would ask top dollar. $25K now. More after I get a fresh paintjob.
3.5L
LSD
5speed
everything works including sunroof, AC, and clock
Alpina 14" wheels
short shifter
hula girl on the dash
new wood
Just Dashes restored dash (black part)
new leather interior (2002)
new rear brake calipers
Pertronix ignition

But the car is just too much fun to drive. I guess if someone offered me crazy mony $35K or so.

MicahO

Reaction score
Here's a question..

How much would you sell your car for?
Stan I think your car is a fine example of a rust free/clean/3.5..coupe

Before you answer Stan, know that I'm in the Northeast, lurking about waiting for a great car to come along, I'm free this weekend......and I love the red interior. :mrgreen:

(dang - too quick)

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

Your selling yourself short. I'd start off asking $35K for your coupe! One of the best looking on this board IMHO.

-Walt

de coupe

Reaction score
Walter, good choice and all the best

First and formost I do agree with Walter, in you would not be able to duplicate this car for the money that they are asking.

So is it a good buy "Hell Yes" I do have about that amount into a coupe and it isnt even a portion of the way completed.

If your coming into town Walter love to take you out to lunch and hash out some coupe stories.

If this is the same Walter that I did recieve the interior from "red leather" you do have a kneen eye for detail, and a good knowledge of what these cars should be, good luck with your purchase.

Thanks Daniel

de coupe

Reaction score
Walter,

I do plan getting a car done by dynotech as well I will send you some mail like to know about your build

Thank you for your service to this country

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Daniel,

I'm going to Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey when I return next summer, so I plan on bringing my '74 down to Dynotech or La Jolla to get worked on. Would love to have lunch and hear about your experience with Dynotech as they have a good reputation from everything I have heard and read.

That was a great interior! Arroyo Brothers did a fantastic job and I would use them again. It's a long story why I didn't use that interior that involved three different coupes, but bottom line was that I bought a fjord coupe that I did not want to change the color on, so the red interior had to go. Do you have it installed? If so, Pics?

-Walt

chicane

Reaction score
Good sound CS $8,000
Paint $12,000

Total $29,000
air dam $600 installed and painted (I happen to like the "Paul Cain" airdam)

Stan

Who is doing your paint, Chip Foose? A $3000 respray would be more than professional as long as the body is solid. Also a nice used 3.5 with 5 speed can be had for a lot less than $6K. Not to mention from those who have actually seen the car they don't think it is a $30K car either. Besides everyone chiming in with their Internet play money and stating that they would gladly pay $30K for a car that they have never even seen, think of all the other cars new and old that you could have for $30K or your HARD EARNED money and tell me again if you would part with it.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paint

Well, I have had more than one quote but the estimates are all in that area.
remove bumpers and trim
remove headlights taillight
beadblast off old paint (my paint is very thick in some places thus cracking)
any rust or repair work should be addressed
paint buff etc whatever they do to prepare for final coat
replace everything that was removed

I think it is all labor.
Paint a rolling shell...probably a lot cheaper.

jmackro

Reaction score
Good sound CS $8,000
Paint $12,000

Total $29,000

Stan:

That's not a bad budget. Obviously every restoration is different - sone owners would do more work themselves, some wouldn't rebuild the engine, etc. etc. A few thoughts:

- When you write "Paint $12,000", I think you really mean "rust repair, metal work, and paint". This can easily run > $12K depending on the extent of the rust.

You have omitted a few items:

- The CS doesn't have a lot of chrome, but replating the bumers & overrriders would add several hundred.

- Door wood, dash wood, and new dash vinyl - figure on $2,000

- Every restoration I have done has had a significant amount spent on miscellaneous replacement parts: stuff like tires, battery, hoses, rubber seals, new emblems, yadda yadda. None are expensive individually, but add them up at the end, and WOW!

In summary, I'd say that $29,000 is very optimistic.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Stan's quote.

remove bumpers and trim

Wow forget all that i said...:oops:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A Lot of Steps + lots of labor

After all this the result will be spectacular!!

Body Shop Labor 8 Total Labor hours for removal & reinstallation of the following parts: 65.00
Front Bumper R&R 0.00
Hood R&R 0.00
Luggage Lid R&R 0.00
Rear Bumper R&R 0.00
Windshield remove only 0.00
Total Labor hours for repair of the following parts:
Repair includes all work to prep for final paint starting from bare
metal. Does not include any final painting.
Repair Items
Front Valance 0.00
Header Panel 0.00
Radiator Support {includes hood opening} 0.00
Hood 0.00
Cowl 0.00
Right Fender Panel 0.00
Left Fender Panel 0.00
Right Front Door Assembly 0.00
Left Front Door Assembly 0.00
Roof 0.00
Right Quarter Panel {includes rolling fenderlip} Front fender wheel
openings to create more clearance for tires

Left Quarter Panel {includes rolling fenderlip } 0.00
Luggage Lid {includes R & I weather strip} 0.00
Rear Body Panel {includes addition of rear Euro fog light } 0.00
Rear Bumper alignment 0.00
Refinish 52 Total labor hours for refinishing of the following parts:
Door jamps where necessary 0.00
Colorsand & Buff entire vehicle 0.00
Clear Coat 0.00
Wurth Stone Guard application, includes masking and surface prep
on lower panels, done before application of base coat color

Misc. Parts, fasteners, hardware as needed at reassembly, special
pieces BMW
Misc. Parts 50.00 50.00
Stripping of outer body panels. Plastic media blast main chassis
and attached panels. Does not include rocker panel covers.
vendor 1 750.00 750.00
Body Shop Labor to rustproof all cavities and rocker panels after
body work completion
Body Shop Labor
Total Labor hours for repair & installation of parts as needed
Car will have all interior door panels removed, along with rear
seats, rear quarter elephant skin removed,
All grills, trim, headlight buckets, rocker panel covers and molding,
directional lights, grills, on hood, fenders, and front.
Repair Items
Total Cost of Paint/Materials
Includes all masking materials, epoxy primer, fillers, final primers,
base coat and clear coat all activators and prep solutions
Paint & Materials
vendor Vendor supplied labor to reinstall windshield and rear window
Body Wax 2 Wurth Body wax rust protectant
SKS Gray 2 SKS Stoneguard Gray

chicane

Reaction score
remove bumpers and trim

I think it is all labor.
Paint a rolling shell...probably a lot cheaper.

First I think you or any coupster could remove (and install) your trim. I had my car media blasted soup to nuts for $900 (and it was very thick). We are going on the assumption of a rust free straight coupe as in your example. A nice respray could be done for $3K - 5K (MAX).