Bennyz Rod Shop Restoration

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep, agreed.
Can I suggest we pull out the stuff on UK delivery numbers vs what's still about as I think that would interest a lot of people.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just read all 7 pages, been absent. Must say it was riveting. Scott has some thick armour (to his credit).
Too bad about the purist mistakes, but lots of people with money spend it in odd ways. Like it when you are free to make mistakes. Looking forward to following this to completion. Thanks for posting SV.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Funny guy.

Nice rotisserie. I have one for my other car; curious what all bracketry they build for it. Didn't bother painting mine since it'll get sprayed on anyways.

Doesn't look like too much progress. If they cut it up, they should make it a CSL Grp2 out of it.

bmw_3_0_csl_group_2_works_large_23892.jpg

With less wild colors of course.

But with street interior and road manners. Don't think I've seen one of those yet.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll be very interested how much more tucked in the bumpers will be.

68-72 USA and all Euro seems pretty tucked in already.

Any idea what airdam if any, going on the front?

I like the alpina one that I ordered.

b2ap3_small_E9-1.jpg

BMW-S52-E9-1.jpg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

I'm pretty sure those two spacers that are now on top of the front struts (were originally between the strut and the bottom of the chassis) were there on US cars to meet the DOT requirements for height of the front bumper and maybe headlights (remember the change for Jag e-types from last series 1 in '67 to the Series 2 in '68? They had to change the headlights to meet DOT standards as well). Those spacers were not used on any European delivery cars to my knowledge.

Gary

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

I'm pretty sure those two spacers that are now on top of the front struts (were originally between the strut and the bottom of the chassis) were there on US cars to meet the DOT requirements for height of the front bumper and maybe headlights (remember the change for Jag e-types from last series 1 in '67 to the Series 2 in '68? They had to change the headlights to meet DOT standards as well). Those spacers were not used on any European delivery cars to my knowledge.

Gary
Per @sfdon they can/should be removed, but Gary was worried they provide some additional support for the front shock towers. True?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
People put those on top to take up the space of the long studs.

I really don't think it hurts anything and it may help somewhat spread the load on the thin sheet metal there, but they're not there on the Euro cars so really inconsequential.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
People put those on top to take up the space of the long studs.

I really don't think it hurts anything and it may help somewhat spread the load on the thin sheet metal there, but they're not there on the Euro cars so really inconsequential.

The sheet metal in that spot is on top of a plate that is several millimeters thick. It is possible that this plate can separate from the inner fender and send your towers thigh the hood. The plate itself isn’t going to shear. That is my long answer to “they aren’t needed”.

When you drop the strut to remove the spacer, you have room to pull the strut out of the fender well and cut the studs. They are not loose bolts as others have implied. If you do cut the stud, thread on a nut first. Use the nut as guide for your saw, and it will clean out the threads when you remove it.

If you use an angle grinder put a blanket over your fender. If you get metal particles on your paint they can rust into your paint.