BMW E21 323i

Klassic

Reaction score
Had 5 of them, raced 2, one of which was a small block 6 with turbo. I could beat 996 GT3 Porsches with that car running on 205/15 slicks. (must have been crap Porsche drivers I can hear some of you thinking...)
These are a really underrated car that can be made to go very well without much effort. I reckon they're a wonderfully affordable and usable classic with good investment potential. I'm thinking about buying another to throw into stock. Suggest the 323i is the one to get, go for it!!

Klassic

Reaction score
1659398989305.png

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 2002 established BMW as a viable brand in America, for real driving enthusiasts.

The e21 made BMW an iconic aspirational brand for the American masses, which 45 years later is still arguably their brand image in here in the USA.

It could be argued that the E21 was the most important car BMW made in the last 45 years. Not the best, just the most influential.

John
Yup(pie). I mean, yep - especially in the US of A.

The E21 was a massive upgrade over the 2002 in terms of updated, more mainstream styling, cabin appointments, interior noise, quasi-luxury, and I'm sure safety and enviro friendliness as well. The first features in the list helped it become the important and game changing car John described.

The 2002 certainly seems to have it beat in sportiness though, at least in US 320i trim. Also a better use of space - so much more roomy. Although I'm sure this extra space was lost in the E21 largely because of improved safety features. Anyway, for most of us the 2002 is what cemented BMW's sporting bonafides, and especially the reliable, fun, useful sport sedan side of things. Its audience in the US was always going to be somewhat limited though, and that's where the E21 changed the equation for them.

Didn't the E21 have some sort of steering shimmy problem? I think it was addressable, I just remember that being a thing. Anyway, an E21 323i sounds like a hoot, and a good-looking one at that. Good luck with your search!

-Dan

dbower

Reaction score
I track some of the Baur Facebook groups (international) and nice Baur 323's show up there occasionally -- if you're up for shipping.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't the E21 have some sort of steering shimmy problem?
The early e21’s had that problem, and employed a shock absorber as a lateral steering damper. This was eliminated on the later models due to some sort of redesign. Not sure when the rede happened. My ‘77 had the damper, which seized up one day…

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, I thought I was going to get no response, obviously people away for the weekend. I know where there are at least 2, 323i's and since it is uncommon and good looking, I am interested. We'll see what condition they are in, have not seen them for a while but they are in storage. Not even sure if they are for sale.

Yes, where to put it and yes I hate our 67 mustang, beautiful but basically a go-cart but it was my wife's aunt's car, bought new and spent its life in Huntington Beach.

Hey Drew, got a call, there is a Turkis 2002 for sale near me! Needs nothing.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
My first BMW was a very late (1983) model E21 323i in black with a 5 speed manual gearbox, Recaro LX seats, an Alpina steering wheel and 13'' Alpina wheels. Great little car which I absolutely loved. I bought it at a time when they were worth virtually nothing but I had great fun it (although it was a real handful in the wet). I'd love another one, but they're certainly rare now. Well, they're rare in the UK at least.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Count me in as one who admires this variant - the dual exhaust and euro bumpers complete the transition to subtle sports car

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never owned an E21, but I now recall it was the gateway drug for me and my fondness for BMWs. R&T had a white Alpina E21 on the cover in the late '70s, and I was totally smitten after reading the article. It led to a fruitless search for some wall art:

"Do you have any posters with an Alpina BMW on it? All I can find are these Countach ones. Also, where are the Farah Fawcett posters?"

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a 2002 owner in the early 80’s we weren’t all that impressed with the new versions, but fell in love with the e9’s. Both my wife and I remember one parked near our offices near SF city hall.

With that said, time brings perspective and the euro version looks very nice. One of the comments in this thread made me laugh…I recall being yelled at as a “damn yuppie” as we were driving the 2002 to a family event in Ben Lomond back in the 80’s…

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
One thing I do remember is that my 323i was pretty hair-raising in the wet; it was VERY tail happy. I remember once driving along a busy dual carriageway in heavy rain. I went to overtake the car in front, so indicated and accelerated gently (or so I thought) in order to pass. The car did a 180 degree powerslide and I ended up facing the oncoming traffic. Safe to say, I am unlikely to forget that in a hurry (and it was about 20 years ago)

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
For Sale,
No affiliation.
In Colombia

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-08-02 a la(s) 5.59.27 p. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-08-02 a la(s) 5.59.27 p. m..png
    686.6 KB · Views: 77

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
was VERY tail happy
That’s my recollection as well. Made me a better driver after I drove mine thru multiple snowy midwestern winters. Sure was fun to drive it sideways.

Rob doesn’t drive as fast as some of you nut jobs so he will be fine with no rear sway bar, staggered wheel widths and modern tires ;-)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob made it from 116th st and Broadway to Grand Central Station on 14 min........................I can drive like an ass even if not originally from Ma.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
116th st and Broadway to Grand Central Station on 14 min
6 miles thru the heart of Manhattan in 14 minutes?
Yeah, right. Maybe at 4AM, following an ambulance on an emergency run.

But seriously, if you get a 323i keep the rear roll stiffness a bit soft, and think about staggered tires/wheels to provide more grip in the back. Maybe consider one of those kits that give you adjustable rear camber. Good hunting.

John

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For Sale,
No affiliation.
In Colombia
we had 4 kind of E21 back home it was first 318 then came 320 -323 and 325 and only 318 had 2 head light but all was 4 head light other than that I think was a engine deferent 318 and 320 was 4 cylinder