Chicane wins

corsachili

Reaction score
I'm really sad to see the board reduced to this. Chicane, I've gotta say, you've been a little bullheaded, and while you may be aiming for objectivity you've rubbed some people (including me) the wrong way. This is the first time we've ever had a problem on the board. I need someone to blame, and I blame you.

Tony, don't leave bro. We like you here. What is this, alt.syntax.tactical all over again?

chicane

Reaction score
corsachili said:
I'm really sad to see the board reduced to this.

Yes, it really is sad to see that kind of behavior from adults. I have been called names (while I have not returned the favor). And others, instead of discussing issues would rather take their ball and go home....real mature.

corsachili said:
you've rubbed some people (including me) the wrong way.

I suggest that you and others grow some thicker skin. There was nothing out of line by my posts.

corsachili said:
This is the first time we've ever had a problem on the board.

There is first time for everything.

corsachili said:
I need someone to blame, and I blame you.

You and others should maybe look in the mirror. It is your reaction that has been outlandish not my original posts.

chicane

Reaction score
NumbersJ said:
Well, what we appear to have here is your classic internet trolling behavior...

No, what we have here are more personal attacks on me rather than a serious discussion of the 4 points that I brought up earlier.

I brought up four, very valid, points of discussion and out of hundreds of members only 2 or 3 bothered to discuss them like adults. the rest decided to engage in a juvenile flame-fest, which only bolsters my argument that these points were valid in the first place.

Time to man-up and seriously discuss the issues that have plagued this board as of late or take your ball and go home.

steve

Reaction score
I'll chime in. Chicane I dont know you. But you started by posting your problems with e9coupe.com. Fine. If you dont like it we can all except that. Keep it to yourself.

Tony has alway's been willing to give advise on and off this board. I would some day like to meet him. Like many others on this board.

I dont think anybody here needs to get thicker skin. I just think if you have a problem with e9coupe.com keep it to yourself or go rant on roadfly.

I think enoughs been said. Maybe a lockdown is in order on this thread.

TodB

Reaction score
chicane

The best thing to do with this Chicane character is not to respond to him. Clearly, he likes the conflict and is probably chuckling to himself that people keep responding and taking his bait. Don't respond or give him the time of day.

The beauty of this board is the lack of drama that is prevalent on other boards. Let's keep it that way.

chicane

Reaction score
And on and on with the personal attacks and yet no seems to have the ability to simply respond to the original valid points, so here they are again in case you missed:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3486

And each of those fellows on this thread who found it necessary to attack me personally may find it more productive to respond to the original 4 points.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
chicane said:
NumbersJ said:
Well, what we appear to have here is your classic internet trolling behavior...

No, what we have here are more personal attacks on me rather than a serious discussion of the 4 points that I brought up earlier. I brought up four, very valid, points of discussion and out of hundreds of members only 2 or 3 bothered to discuss them like adults. the rest decided to engage in a juvenile flame-fest, which only bolsters my argument that these points were valid in the first place. Time to man-up and seriously discuss the issues that have plagued this board as of late or take your ball and go home.

pfft! (knowing full well that by responding the troll's goal is being met)

Troll (net slang): The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.
Telling this group of fans to crush their cars because of rust is like telling your bud you won't go out with his sister again because she's a dead lay. What you are saying may be entirely true (according to your own perspective) but it is totally insensitive to the experience or interests of those you are "telling it to." And no one here thinks you are dense enough to not see the impact of what you're typing. Hence, "troll."

[Broken External Image]:http://www.the-asw.com/public/divers/troll2.png

schnell540

Reaction score
chicane said:
I brought up four, very valid, points of discussion and out of hundreds of members only 2 or 3 bothered to discuss them like adults. the rest decided to engage in a juvenile flame-fest, which only bolsters my argument that these points were valid in the first place.

Time to man-up and seriously discuss the issues that have plagued this board as of late or take your ball and go home.

First, if you think calling people on the board "know-it-less" and otherwise impuing them is bringing up a valid point, you are obviously in the minority.

Second, if these issues have "plagued" the board, you seem to be one of the few, if not the only one, bothered by it to the point of needing to bring it up.

Third, if (as you say in your original post) your goal is "not to vent but to make the board a better community," do you think you have succeeded or failed? (No excuses on how you failed because you're being misunderstood, either).

Is it possible, just possible, that you should "man-up" and admit you went off a little too far in the way you raised your four allegedly valid points (and then proceeded to needlessly argue with anyone who disagreed with you or thought you were trolling)?

chicane

Reaction score
schnell540 said:
chicane said:

First, if you think calling people on the board "know-it-less" and otherwise impuing them is bringing up a valid point, you are obviously in the minority.

Second, if these issues have "plagued" the board, you seem to be one of the few, if not the only one, bothered by it to the point of needing to bring it up.

Third, if (as you say in your original post) your goal is "not to vent but to make the board a better community," do you think you have succeeded or failed? (No excuses on how you failed because you're being misunderstood, either).

Is it possible, just possible, that you should "man-up" and admit you went off a little too far in the way you raised your four allegedly valid points (and then proceeded to needlessly argue with anyone who disagreed with you or thought you were trolling)?

I think I made my points and still am waiting for the adults to finally chime in on them. But I appreciate your post, and yes, I absolutely believe that confronting these issues now is better in the long run. A little too far? I think you can look at most of the above posts, read them and tell who really is going to far. I haven't engaged in any personal attacks.

Anyway, My biggest argument out of the four is to absolutely NOT discourage people from parting, crushing or otherwise giving up on their coupes because they have rust. On that single point I am adamant and I can guarantee you that the vast majority of guys who disparage a potential or current coupe owner for rust on their coupe have either had zero experience repairing rust or do not even own a coupe.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
chicane said:
Anyway, My biggest argument out of the four is to absolutely NOT discourage people from parting, crushing or otherwise giving up on their coupes because they have rust. On that single point I am adamant and I can guarantee you that the vast majority of guys who disparage a potential or current coupe owner for rust on their coupe have either had zero experience repairing rust or do not even own a coupe.

Chicane (do you have a name?),
I have a '73 3.0CS parts car. After I take all the parts off of the car that I need you can have the rest. It's rusty and I don't want to deal with it, but hey, that's just me. You're welcome to take the chassis and have your way with it. I wouldn't be crushing it or cutting it up if you take it, so we'd be saving another one. I'll even post pictures of the car so you can take a look. Anything is repairable, so there shouldn't be any hesitation on your part.

Dan

jamesr

Reaction score
"I hate to paint the entire board with a broad brush because I know there are a lot of really great people on this board but the few usual suspects that continually chime in a manner that does not contribute to an atmosphere of education and harmony"

I don't wish to offend you by questioning your opinion, but if you had it your way, the same mis-informed users looking for advice on purchasing an e9, that only you seem to want to genuinely help, wouldn't even be allowed on this board. (4th post down)

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3293&highlight=spam

It seems extremely hypocritical to me that you can even make the statement that i have marked in bold. The majority of your answers are often rude, abrupt and inflammatory. You may not openly insult people with you posts through name calling, but your certainly do with your arrogant, condescending style of posting.

You also only have one answer to anyone asking about the value of their car. The same reply everytime, when this is an open forum where users are free to discuss whatever they like. Instead of ignoring these posts like a mature adult, you instead feel the need to force your opinion down other throats as if it were the only valid opinion on here.

schnell540

Reaction score
chicane said:
A little too far? I think you can look at most of the above posts, read them and tell who really is going to far. I haven't engaged in any personal attacks...

I will assume you are a person of good will and assume that all of this, as you say, is intended to "help" the board.

I'm sorry to tell you that you failed. You started this "conversation" in a manner that most everyone has interpreted as arrogant, attacking, or trolling. I know I have (although your reply to me seems to be in good faith, making me make the assumptions above).

I suggest that if you really want to educate, help, etc., then you should treat people in a way that makes them want to listen.

chicane

Reaction score
dang said:
Chicane (do you have a name?),
I have a '73 3.0CS parts car. After I take all the parts off of the car that I need you can have the rest. It's rusty and I don't want to deal with it, but hey, that's just me. You're welcome to take the chassis and have your way with it. I wouldn't be crushing it or cutting it up if you take it, so we'd be saving another one. I'll even post pictures of the car so you can take a look. Anything is repairable, so there shouldn't be any hesitation on your part.

Dan

I already got one my man but, I am not saying that chassis is not worth saving. There are lot's of guys looking for E9 chassis's for race cars that your hulk would provide a perfect base for. Thus one of my points.

chicane

Reaction score
schnell540 said:
chicane said:
A little too far? I think you can look at most of the above posts, read them and tell who really is going to far. I haven't engaged in any personal attacks...

I will assume you are a person of good will and assume that all of this, as you say, is intended to "help" the board.

I'm sorry to tell you that you failed. You started this "conversation" in a manner that most everyone has interpreted as arrogant, attacking, or trolling. I know I have (although your reply to me seems to be in good faith, making me make the assumptions above).

I suggest that if you really want to educate, help, etc., then you should treat people in a way that makes them want to listen.

If you read, carefully, my original posts you will see that I am not trolling nor picking fights. Like I pointed out to dang. One man's junk is another man's treasure. The last owner of my coupe, the guy couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was perfect for me. Not every coupsters goals are the same. Some want a concourse, all original, show car. Some want a streetable hot rod. And others, like me, want a track car. What difference are certain rust spots if that metal was going to be cut away ANYWAY for fiberglass panels?

chicane

Reaction score
jamesr said:
The majority of your answers are often rude, abrupt and inflammatory. You may not openly insult people with you posts through name calling, but your certainly do with your arrogant, condescending style of posting.

Then you will be absolutely shocked at the other posters on this board, because they take it to a new level.

jamesr said:
You also only have one answer to anyone asking about the value of their car. The same reply everytime, when this is an open forum where users are free to discuss whatever they like. Instead of ignoring these posts like a mature adult, you instead feel the need to force your opinion down other throats as if it were the only valid opinion on here.

Your coupe is worth whatever someone will pay for in the free market and not what you anyone think that it is worth. How is that?

schnell540

Reaction score
chicane said:
schnell540 said:
chicane said:

If you read, carefully, my original posts you will see that I am not trolling nor picking fights. Like I pointed out to dang. One man's junk is another man's treasure. The last owner of my coupe, the guy couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was perfect for me. Not every coupsters goals are the same. Some want a concourse, all original, show car. Some want a streetable hot rod. And others, like me, want a track car. What difference are certain rust spots if that metal was going to be cut away ANYWAY for fiberglass panels?

Dude, I do not for a second doubt that you believe that you weren't trying to pick a fight or otherwise trolling. My point is everyone took it that were picking a fight. A conversation is both what you said and how others hear it.

If you want a productive conversation, say it in a way that makes people want to listen.

jamesr

Reaction score
No not really. I'm often more shocked by how well mannered and pleasant the majority of users on this forum are, in comparison to other forums that i use.

I can't argue with that. It's only a shame you don't usually take that attitude when replying to the majority of posts concerning the value of a coupe.

gazzol

Reaction score
This is all a great shame and like other threads I have seen on other forums it's got a little out of hand, for the record with regards to the original post which started the argument I'm with Chicane.
As a true lover of these cars I think its a shame when I see another one being broken up and so I would always be in favour of restoration, I for example could not afford to buy my own car in the condition to which I have restored/modified it I do however posses ( in my opinion at least) the skill to do the work my self and therefore posses a car which otherwise would be out of my reach financially. Having said that there were parts that I needed for my car which if it weren't for someone parting out another I wouldn't have been able to obtain.
I'm not going to side with either party in this instance but what I do have to say is this: In normal day to day life when we have a conversation tone of voice informs us of the other persons feelings (anger or happiness etc) on internet forums tone of voice is non evident and so our minds substitute it with choice of words.
Chicane PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE FOLLOWING PESONALLY it is used purely as an example to demonstrate the point I have made above ,I am sure others have done the same to you.
(paraphrased) "I am still waiting for the adults to reply to my original 4 points."
By using the word "adults" in a negative context implies a belief in your opinion that they are not adults. Weather the implication was intentional or not it is there all the same and therefore the argument is perpetuated and escalated to the next level.

This is a good forum where people come to seek advice and have friendly banter about these wonderfull cars, lets not lose sight of that. We are all adults would it not be a lot easier to agree to disagree?

So once again I say CHOICE OF WORDS GENTLEMEN, lets keep it friendly.
Please.