Chrome Rear Window exterior sill

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Keshav ,
Here is how I know !
We Dismanteled two E9’s and sent the pieces for re-chroming! When the pieces came back from the chrome shop we started getting them ready for fitment of the rubber pieces and old flets we had. One sets of felts was still reusable after washing them! To figure how high we need to place the felt before riveting, we brought them up against the car .
That how we found out . Incidentally both sides were different. So we labeled them for each car That is the only chrome piece we had this issue with.
On another note we also found out that belt trims from one year to another are slightly different. It seems that earlier year the trim was slightly thinner! The 74 model trims was slightly thicker may be a 1mm or so..
This could also be caused by caustic solution they use to remove old chrome or Annodizing before Re chroming

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like I said, never argue with a multi E9 owner ;)

Best wishes
Keshav

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
7 , three running , 2 in process of restoration , one waiting for Dismantleing and the last one probably be a donor car , we will see

79aggie

Reaction score
Be aware that this piece has been customized to fit for each individual E9 at the factory. Incidently this fact made me love the hand made E9 even more! It is very likely that a Replacment piece from another car may be slightly too big or shorter the end of the piece to the back of the car.
As you know it is a solid brass core chromed piece!
My advise is to fit it to the car first before you send it for chroming! The tail end of the piece meets the bottom of the drip rail and if the replacement (donor) piece happen to be too long it can be filed the edge and fitted before you send it for Re-chroming ! Also there is small screw that secure the front of the piece to the body. make sure you place the screw in it. It is at the front where it mounts to the car! Re-chroming can fill up , or cover the small screw hole! W&N sells the curved (hockey shape) interior rubber ! The felt can be made from available glass shop squeegee felt and riveted very closely as original.
The lower u Channel rubber(3mm tall) that sits between the piece and the painted body is also available from both BMW as well as W&N sold by the meter . Make sure to cut this rubber piece slightly longer as it shrinks a bet. You can always cut it shorter if after few months of it sitting on the car if need be. Remind the body shop not to pull or stretch the rubber when they install it...

Best wishes !

Hmmm, okay, I'll take into account. I have the original pieces but as you can see from my profile picture from where I started, the body work that was done with donor panels was not performed to my liking.

The body shop did a horrible job with the trunk bottom and connection to the rear ledge inside the trunk. I re-did the work bought replacement trunk bottoms. The trunk bottom that came with the rear clip was pretty crappy, as the spare tire wells tend to get.

I tried to compensate with these parts but I am not happy with the results, so I'm giving another try. It's going to take some work.

BTW, Markos, I have a deal with replacements through another list member, thanks!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With all due respect Tony, I find that very hard to believe. But with your big collection of E9’s, I won’t get into a arguement with you ;)

Regards
Keshav
I have a set on my coupe that need re-chromed. The nice set in that picture (holding down the elephant skin for sale) a excellent chrome wise but do not fit. I find it amazing that it doesn't fit but there you have it.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had mine re-chromed, it was not too expensive, I have no affiliation and maybe I lucked out and they will screw your stuff up, but I used Salt Lake Chrome

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmmm, okay, I'll take into account. I have the original pieces but as you can see from my profile picture from where I started, the body work that was done with donor panels was not performed to my liking.

The body shop did a horrible job with the trunk bottom and connection to the rear ledge inside the trunk. I re-did the work bought replacement trunk bottoms. The trunk bottom that came with the rear clip was pretty crappy, as the spare tire wells tend to get.

I tried to compensate with these parts but I am not happy with the results, so I'm giving another try. It's going to take some work.

BTW, Markos, I have a deal with replacements through another list member, thanks!
It is good to know you are picky about the quality.
In my opinion if you are not doing it right and not taking enough pictures to show the work was done properly you are wasting your money! Again that is my opinion! Both trunk pieces, , spare wheel well , and the gas tank trim are available from W&N , with relatively high quality . The only thing I hate about W&N steel body parts is that the paint they put on is meant to keep them from rusting and has to be removed before you apply epoxy primer ...

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is looking promising.
IMG_20190204_181304794.jpg
IMG_20190204_181251430.jpg

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused on what parts are needed. I have a set of the chrome pieces for the exterior of the rear windows that are in decent shape but most likely need the rubber and felt. I will sell them if someone is looking.
PM me if you need a set.