Coupe Horn Mounting

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I understand where the two horns are located but not how they are mounted, I have gone thru both the blue and white manuals and they do not show the mounting holes or the attitude can anyone provide this detail please?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I remember, the horn has a bracket around it and there is a bolt (13 mm I think) that fastens the bracket to the car. IIRC that bolt can be found when the access panel for the headlight is removed; it should be right there at the top. Someone please chime in if I am off.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From what I remember, the horn has a bracket around it and there is a bolt (13 mm I think) that fastens the bracket to the car. IIRC that bolt can be found when the access panel for the headlight is removed; it should be right there at the top. Someone please chime in if I am off.

Correct, and you can see the head of the bolt on the horizontal rad panel next to the access doors. There is a flat piece of metal strap that is maybe 3-4” long holding the horn.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lower right corner

0B270400-2F29-4718-A47A-414F36E0483E.jpeg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The bracket/bar slides into this slot and the bolt comes down from the top to a blind nut and secures it to the body. I never had a good photo of this and took me a few days to figure it out.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think I found the Driver side horn mounting location however the attached is a photo of the passenger side sheet metal. I don't know what the rectangular holes are for and the horn mounting is different than the driver side . With the large nut holding the mounting bracket there is only a few options to figure out. Any advice on the other rectangular holes?

Attachments

• RH Front Headlight Pocket -Horn.jpg
    RH Front Headlight Pocket -Horn.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 113

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they don't mount on the vertical metal, they mount on the horizontal metal above where you are.

Simufly

Reaction score
I think I found the Driver side horn mounting location however the attached is a photo of the passenger side sheet metal. I don't know what the rectangular holes are for and the horn mounting is different than the driver side . With the large nut holding the mounting bracket there is only a few options to figure out. Any advice on the other rectangular holes?
From memory they are the rad mounting bracket for the wide (auto) radiator

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have discovered where the horns mount by your help and the size of the fastener M8 X 18 mm. there are two holes next to the H/L access panel that the horns fasten thru. The photo of the rectangular holes was a question of "what to do with them". Do these typically stay uncovered or should they get closed off?

I really appreciate your feedback and help. A bit of history: I bought this car in El Paso in 1979 and put about 100,000 miles on it, then rebuilt the 3 liter engine and put another 60,000 miles. As a result of an accident and poor insurance repair I decided to completely strip and rebuild the entire vehicle. That was about 1988 - had kids- college tuition-kids sports- jobs outside the USA and voila it's 2018 and I decide to complete the task. I installed a 3.5 liter engine that had much less mileage -will rebuild AGAIN the 3 liter. I went as far as taking each side door and read deck lid locks apart and rebuilt. Unfortunately my memory would have benefited if I too photos of the dis-assembly as I am or the re-assembly. So your help is invaluable.

My sons are in their late 30's and never have ridden in the car but boy I got a lot of GREAT memories with my wife blasting along in the flying COUPE!

Attachments

• Horn Mounting.jpg
    Horn Mounting.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 108

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary, I’m surprised your coupe doesn’t have the snail shell style horn.
Funny thing Chris is one of those horns got a bad cold and never recovered. It sounded like a sick cow.
I wanted something louder but using stock mount.
These are Hella's. Much louder and slightly different tone.

Wladek

Reaction score
I had 10x e9 Hella shell type horns, but none worked, so i purchased 2x Bosch Europa (1x 300hz & 1x 375hz) - very stylish & very loud.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the current ones from BMW are 410 + 510 hz ... from FIAMM. the ones from W+N are red snail horns from Hella - 400 + 500 hz.
356378_x800.webp