Coupe Tools

Not belonging to an original toolkit, but a nice period correct* addition: an 15-17 bent ring spanner. Super handy if you need to replace that starter motor, it's about the only way to get the top bolt out with a full engine bay.

As with original ring spanners it has shiny chromed ends, and it uses the 'No' with a small line under the zero.

* it does say GERMANY, and not W-GERMANY, which has me wondering. Could it be post unification but made with older tooling that was modified to take out the "W-" part?
I just picked up a very similar wrench from ebay for $9, plus 48 state shipping of course. It's a 14-17mm not the 15-17mm posted above, but does say W. Germany. Hard to see in the photo but it does have the underlined o in No.

Heyco 14-17mm bent wernch W Germany CHROM - VANADIUM .jpg
 
Very unimportant, but equally interesting thing occured to me today when digging tjrough various toolsets:

When comparing 2 long pliers from original toolsets, i noticed that one has mirror smooth chromed surfaces on the beak and handle sides, where the other has been chromed as well, but only the head was sanded mirror smooth before chroming and it's handles have a fine (sand? ) casting texture on them, but no mirror smoothbsurface. Evidently less hand work involved.

Could the full mirror shine chromed one be an early one, and the other 'grainy' one with be a cost reduction variant from some later date?
 

Attachments

  • 20260919_171239.jpg
    20260919_171239.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20260919_171303.jpg
    20260919_171303.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20260919_171313.jpg
    20260919_171313.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20260919_171330.jpg
    20260919_171330.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20260919_171348.jpg
    20260919_171348.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20260919_171359.jpg
    20260919_171359.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 43
  • 20260919_171220.jpg
    20260919_171220.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 50
Notice how the head of the "Heyco" printed pliers (Image below, most right one) has sides that are conical.
All images of pliers or toolboxes show small pliers with a short parallel section first; the conical section starts higher up.

.

compare head shape with these toolboxes:
View attachment 119402
Erik et al,
this picture you quoted above is a picture of some of my tool collection. I’m getting to the bottom of my cars and collections and moving this stuff along.
If I can help by looking closer at some of these I’d be happy to dig them out and get them sorted. I don’t need all these tools. They are all used and far from perfect but if it helps i can certainly confirm finishes and markings. I’m definitely mixed them up incorrectly in their trays and I just have no idea where to start!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1711.png
    IMG_1711.png
    568.9 KB · Views: 40
Erik et al,
this picture you quoted above is a picture of some of my tool collection. I’m getting to the bottom of my cars and collections and moving this stuff along.
If I can help by looking closer at some of these I’d be happy to dig them out and get them sorted. I don’t need all these tools. They are all used and far from perfect but if it helps i can certainly confirm finishes and markings. I’m definitely mixed them up incorrectly in their trays and I just have no idea where to start!
Holy moly, man, that is a lot of tools! What's your plan with all of those? You should clean some up and either put them up here or on Bring a Trailer. In general a well-sorted set of tools can pay for at least some of the repairs/upgrades I know you are doing.
 
I can't stop myself not to put the well known sentence here:

„My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.”

No offence. Many of us have collection of parts which are extremely valuable

...for "few" (relatively) people worldwide

I'm with You! I'm completely lost with all tools considerations. Everyone can be lost with variety of shapes, colors and finishings (sooner or later) as all matters and is value-impacting.
 
Haha, at least your wife knows they have some value! In my case, my kids will probably just look at these tools and all my parts, assume it's leftover scrap metal, and haul them straight out to the recycling bin.

Mind you, that's assuming the postal service doesn't lose them first. My last purchase from the States was a total financial and communication debacle, and a package I shipped south a month ago got caught in a 36-update ping-pong loop between Memphis and Horn Lake before vanishing entirely.
Between cross-border losses and transaction headaches, I’ve pretty much had to stop shipping to and from the south…it’s actually been cheaper and far less painful to buy and ship to and from Europe lately. I'm definitely a bit gun-shy about trying again, but if anyone has found a cross-border courier or route that actually works without the heartbreak, I'm all ears!
 
[…it’s actually been cheaper and far less painful to buy and ship to and from Europe lately. I'm definitely a bit gun-shy about trying again, but if anyone has found a cross-border courier or route that actually works without the heartbreak, I'm all ears!
[/QUOTE]

To close the loop. From CANADA Shipping to almost any place in EUROPE up to one kilo is 40 euro and 5k is 150 euro,
I probably get discounts on that.
Cheers
Allister
 
Back
Top