CSL on BaT - 2nd time around

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its just a sad tale all the way around. the previous buyer didn't know what they were buying and didn't do their research ... therefore bought something they shouldn't have and paid too much for it. this is one of those cases when you have to look beyond the surface level looks. but yes, @tferrer got it right - new record low.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
68k RNM...wow thats gotta be an all time record low for a csl

Bonhams sold a Polaris one for less a year or so back. Same for a verona one in Germany (owner is on here). Both will need heroic restorations and a donor car.
I'm literally waiting for a new thread to pop up saying CSL values have crashed :D

m5toureg

Reaction score
auction comment by “propellerhead-tom”
“RHD CSLs are less desirable because they were mostly spec’ed as City Pack cars and had more
in common with a CSi than a Batmobile or a 1st generation Lightweight.”
Unquote
= as it seems I am not alone after all….. ;)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
auction comment by “propellerhead-tom”
“RHD CSLs are less desirable because they were mostly spec’ed as City Pack cars and had more
in common with a CSi than a Batmobile or a 1st generation Lightweight.”
Unquote
= as it seems I am not alone after all….. ;)

So you're hanging your argument on some twat making a comment on BAT :D How I miss the good old days when people would reference Wikipedia like it carried some weight.
Jokes aside, that comment is fundamentally incorrect, and has been repeatedly proven so on here.

m5toureg

Reaction score
So you're hanging your argument on some twat making a comment on BAT :D How I miss the good old days when people would reference Wikipedia like it carried some weight.
Jokes aside, that comment is fundamentally incorrect, and has been repeatedly proven so on here.
@Wes - “miss the good old days….. “?? when ,more’ CSL owners were still on here and participated ??
Not that I need it…but I received a lot of supporting emails….. only choose the BaT input/comment
as it seemed “convenient“….but in the end this is not about opinion but rather facts…. popular or not…

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
but I received a lot of supporting emails
From jealous CSi owners sooo wishing they had a CSL. LOL

You cannot make a CSL into a CSi or a CSi into a CSL and that's negating the VIN #. It's that small detail called the body shell. It's thin on a CSL and ain't on a CSi. No matter what amount of money you spend, all you can do is bolt stuff on or take stuff off but you'll not ever transform one into the other.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

You cannot make a CSL into a CSi or a CSi into a CSL and that's negating the VIN #. It's that small detail called the body shell. It's thin on a CSL and ain't on a CSi. No matter what amount of money you spend, all you can do is bolt stuff on or take stuff off but you'll not ever transform one into the other.
I think in the vintage muscle car world tgis would be refereed to as an "imposter" Pontiac made a Sprint that had all the cosmetics of the GTO but not the performance. Road & Track called it the "Imposter" which is appropriate for a CSL clone. Its not offensive; but its not the real thing no matter how hard you try.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Can we all just agree that ALL BMW’s delivered to Germany were the best! :D

@m5toureg,

While you wait for the next RHD auction, I’m sure there are some US-spec crash bumper e28’s for sale that you can crap on.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think in the vintage muscle car world tgis would be refereed to as an "imposter" Pontiac made a Sprint that had all the cosmetics of the GTO but not the performance. Road & Track called it the "Imposter" which is appropriate for a CSL clone. Its not offensive; but its not the real thing no matter how hard you try.

There is a difference though. Firstly, the RHD CSL had the same HP motor. Secondly, the process that made CSL production specialized and slow applies equally to the RHD CSL. If BMW needed to pump out 1,000 CSL’s fast, they could have used standard gauge metal on the RHD cars and slapped a CSL badge/VIN on them.

The “fact” (we like facts) is that the RHD CSL wasn’t a poverty-spec CSL. If would have cost BMW more money and time to outfit a RHD CSL. If the UK market wanted the luxury-free performance, the lightweights would have been a better faster option for BMW.

We need to really pivot this argument into why the UK market didn’t appreciate raw performance in the 70’s. They really ruined it for 20th century CSL enthusiasts. :D

This argument is tired. Why is it that when a hand-built US spec E28 M5 goes up for sale, we see accolades. We don’t see trolls coming out of the wood work to crap on the shadow line diving board bumpers, and nearly 30hp drop in power compared to the euro M5’s. I *think it is because less than 2,300 produced, the car is deemed rare and special regardless of the market-specific factory specifications. True enthusiasts respect the vehicle in all forms, and don’t use every FS listing to air their grievances.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a difference though. Firstly, the RHD CSL had the same HP motor. Secondly, the process that made CSL production specialized and slow applies equally to the RHD CSL. If BMW needed to pump out 1,000 CSL’s fast, they could have used standard gauge metal on the RHD cars and slapped a CSL badge/VIN on them.

The “fact” (we like facts) is that the RHD CSL wasn’t a poverty-spec CSL. If would have cost BMW more money and time to outfit a RHD CSL. If the UK market wanted the luxury-free performance, the lightweights would have been a better faster option for BMW.

We need to really pivot this argument into why the UK market didn’t appreciate raw performance in the 70’s. They really ruined it for 20th century CSL enthusiasts. :D

This argument is tired. Why is it that when a hand-built US spec E28 M5 goes up for sale, we see accolades. We don’t see trolls coming out of the wood work to crap on the shadow line diving board bumpers, and nearly 30hp drop in power compared to the euro M5’s. I *think it is because less than 2,300 produced, the car is deemed rare and special regardless of the market-specific factory specifications. True enthusiasts respect the vehicle in all forms, and don’t use every FS listing to air their grievances.
I’m not so sure if I like you anymore.

day66

Reaction score
I don't think the spec has anything to do with it - a RHD CSL will be more desirable in the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ etc; a LHD CSL will be more desirable just about everywhere else!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a well traveled road in the aircooled 911 world. There are
9,896,638 73 RS clones running
around of every description and flavor. Perhaps the reason is the 73 RS really was a performance car with the rather significant inclusion of an MFI motor with 210hp. And those delightful rear flares. It doesn't even resonate amongst the air-cooled cognicenti any longer...no one cares.

@m5toureg - As you are obviously a purist (nothing wrong with that) which flavor of true CSL lightweight do you own? Carbed? Injected?

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder if I could bid on the turntable in the video? When I was a wee lad my great grand parents had one in their house in San Fransisco to to turn car around in garage.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just noticed that there is a whole thread devoted to finding all the RHD CSLs in existence. Shockingly nobody has yet to drop some science on it to let everyone know that there are no RHD CSLs. Seems like it would save the new chairman of the GB BMW club a lot of time.