CSL on BaT - 2nd time around

m5toureg

Reaction score
There is a difference though. Firstly, the RHD CSL had the same HP motor. Secondly, the process that made CSL production specialized and slow applies equally to the RHD CSL. If BMW needed to pump out 1,000 CSL’s fast, they could have used standard gauge metal on the RHD cars and slapped a CSL badge/VIN on them.
@Markos - CSL production was slow ? where does that come from ? Instead
RHD CSL production was ,pushed’ to meet the time limits and sale of RHD CSI cars was temporarily
put ,on hold’.
Otherwise you seem to come closer to the point of the matter, because what you are suggesting is very
likely what BMW and the U.K. distributor would have done, if that would still have been in accordance
with the homologation requirements.
Total production E9 RHD:
- 3.0 CSL RHD ,City Package‘ = 500x
- 3.0 CSI RHD = 207x
- 3.0 CSA RHD = 215x
-
PS: Not to worry, I will try not to make the same mistake again…….. ;)

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos - CSL production was slow ? where does that come from ? Instead
RHD CSL production was ,pushed’ to meet the time limits and sale of RHD CSI cars was temporarily
put ,on hold’.

Regardless of how fast they operated. It takes longer to build a CSL than a CS or CSI. The “slow” aspect is just a factor of the specialization. Since you like to wallow in the details like me, here are a few examples.

• Steel door frames would need to be drilled to accept rivets
  • Compound applied to doors/skins to prevent dissimilar metal issues
  • Aluminum boot drilled to accept striker rivets
  • Fender openings drilled for stainless arches
  • Stainless arch installation
  • Aluminum hood drilled for prop installation
  • Cowl steel drilled for prop installation
  • Application of CSL graphics
It very well could be a wash, but the training, special parts organization, one off installation al equate to a high likelihood of slower build status, at lear for the first batch or so.

I’m not following your last point about production numbers so no comment there.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos I believe BMW focused the production line on making CSLs in a very short period and other models were very much reduced during that time.

Makes sense. The whole point of this rabbit hole was that the RHD CSL is not a glorified CSI, which is less specialized and easier to build.

m5toureg

Reaction score
@Wes - I sincerely hope that I am NOT a party of your concern and just for the record
1. I have an opinion but definitely accept other people‘s opinions.
2. I am absolutely NOT a CSL denier, on the contrary.
-
The CSL is a lightweight concept car and for that reason real CSL cars for me
are ,factory light weight cars‘, like the 169 carb cars, factory light weights (which excludes
,most’ of the RHD cars), the 110 BAT cars plus the VIN series 4…..CSL cars = being a story of
their own.
Hopefully this will clarify the matter and ,my point of view‘ or if you like ,my opinion‘,
which you are invited to accept.

Last edited:

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have any opinion of any of the above except for Markos' mention of the time for isolating the dissimilar metals in the CSL door. To me, that can be seen as an effort of corrosion protection. On this point I will argue that any such effort DID NOT HAPPEN. Karmann did not take ANY moves with the thought of rust prevention in mind. I am convinced that Karmann actually went in the direction to promote rust. Who can argue with that?

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Markos I believe BMW focused the production line on making CSLs in a very short period and other models were very much reduced during that time.
Hi Chris, will you know anything about this LSD, this is the LSD under my Malaga E9, in the gear 5 it is look like I need a gear 6

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's Genius.. :D How do I change my user profile to that..
And that's the way uhuh uhuh I like it
ZomboMeme 30042023104512.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
nice article , but then i ask myself why BMW had to make a "1000" CSL 's to homologate what ? i assume just the leight weight body ? Because the race cars are totaly different animals..... like modern rally cars , i heard they just have to use the original bottom plate......

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
nice article , but then i ask myself why BMW had to make a "1000" CSL 's to homologate what ? i assume just the leight weight body ? Because the race cars are totaly different animals..... like modern rally cars , i heard they just have to use the original bottom plate......
From my understanding, The race cars had to be derived from a production car and the lightweight shells and alum panels were the necessary basis of the race cars. The main competition were the Capris and 911, both much lighter cars. I'm sure others will chime in with more explicit info but suffice to say, BMW wouldn't have spent the money to develop the lightweight shell of the street CSL if they didn't absolutely need to.