CSL Photos Questions will follow :)

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a CSL a few months ago and just finished getting a garage ready where I'll be restoring it.
I have put together some parts of its history but I need some documentation for it.
I found it's first owner and he says that he bought it in switzerland from motag and he drove it for a while. then he decided that it wasn't fast enough for him so he took it to alpina and had it modified. they put a 3.5 litre engine in it and lightened it. Then when he was in england he went to silverstone to watch a race and Niki Lauda saw the car and they took it out for a spin on the track. Also one of the car magazines (probably Auto Motor Sport) made an article about this car featuring it on the cover as the Black CSL.

I find this a great ( and partialy hard to believe) story, but there are no documentations what so ever up to now. and this car was on a local web site for sale as a 3.16 at one point.

but a lot of the details on the car suggest that the story might in fact be true.

tell me what you think.

specs:
it has a CSL chassis number.
5 speed dogleg
limited slip diff
no hand brake
flared fenders
no fuel cap on the body. you have to open the trunk for fuel
adjustable sway bar
battery in the trunk
headers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kizilsakal/sets/72157628291209713/

Cheers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like your coupe has led a very hard life that included being stored outdoors or in a very wet climate. The VIN relates to a injected CSL, would Alpina have converted it to a single carb with a six branch manifold? Also, the crude front turn signals, modified console, interior, e30 headlights, etc. Why would a hand brake be removed? Good luck with your restoration, it will surely be a labor of love. And hope you find the elusive documentation, that is very rare.

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like your coupe has led a very hard life that included being stored outdoors or in a very wet climate. The VIN relates to a injected CSL, would Alpina have converted it to a single carb with a six branch manifold? Also, the crude front turn signals, modified console, interior, e30 headlights, etc. Why would a hand brake be removed? Good luck with your restoration, it will surely be a labor of love. And hope you find the elusive documentation, that is very rare.
Yes, it must have ben a hard life. When I found it, it had been outside with flat tires in an industrial zone for months. As far as I know handbrake is sometimes removed in track cars. As for the fuel injection, I also have a 1964 230 SL and there are not many mechanics who can adjust it's mechanic fuel injection system right. Many dont know the early systems. So probably when it first came to turkey at some point the fuel injection had a problem and they changed it to carb. There are many 2002 tii's here I have only seen one with original fuel injection system. Unfortunately previous owners really did not know this cars value and treated it almost as junk.

MMercury

Reaction score
By definition, every 40 year old car has a history. Adding to your car's mystique, who knows, this could be yours (or mine) following behind another Gran Prix Champ? :wink: :wink: (Rumor has it that he may have had something to do with saving Mr. L for future racing.)

picture.php

It may be referenced elsewhere in this forum, but for additional information concerning Licht models: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=1

Congratulations and best of luck!

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
By definition, every 40 year old car has a history. Adding to your car's mystique, who knows, this could be yours (or mine) following behind another Gran Prix Champ? :wink: :wink: (Rumor has it that he may have had something to do with saving Mr. L for future racing.)

picture.php

It may be referenced elsewhere in this forum, but for additional information concerning Licht models: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=1

Congratulations and best of luck!
thanks for all the replies
Did your reply changed MMercury? Didn't you have something about the twin carb setup.
Anyway, the car behind Hunt can't be mine because mine had the flared fenders really early in it's life. So more chance that's your car :)
I have just learned from another source that my car went to alpina right after it was puchased. the flared fenders are steel. Did Alpina use fiberglass ones or steel does anyone know?

I'm going to put new photos to the flicker set soon. Up to now I have disassembled the interior, the tail lights and chromes, and the front grill. rust everywere. I'll be reading all the restoration threads to learn the do's and don'ts.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Isn't that carb the 4A1 of a 6 cylinder E12?

Black looks like a repaint over either red or blue.

The speedo shows 300km/h, interesting

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn't that carb the 4A1 of a 6 cylinder E12?

Black looks like a repaint over either red or blue.

The speedo shows 300km/h, interesting
300 km good point! Thanks Arde.
What is it in regular csl's?
The engine is from a 3.0 bavaria I think.
I might have to hunt down the engine alpina put in here if it's not trashed.
By the way I will measure this engine when I open it to see if it's 3 litres or 3.5.
What happened to all the links mmercury?
The photo set on picasa was really good

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks!
This is really intresting.
I remember the time when I was restoring a Lancia Monte Carlo beta ( with a smaller engine know as scorpion in the U.S.) I was sending regular mail to Italy. Information was much harder to get to.
New photos soon!!!

Thanks everbody! Keep it coming

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, these photos show even more rust. What happened to the trans tunnel? Be sure the firewall area above pedals and above glove box isn't rusted away. If you have the body dipped or blasted it might look like Swiss cheese. You are a brave soul, be sure you can afford what you might find before you get in too deep, it could be a bottomless pit. Good luck.

Chris

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not sure what happened to the trans tunnel but it might be done at the time when they fitted the 5 speed. but it looks messy.
also the hole for the handbrake lever is welded shut. at least that looks like a properly done job.

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase, a Bedo which needs love, care, spare parts and expertise for a good restoration. I don't understand if it's a carburetor or injection chassis, I can't read the number in the photos. I see a 3.5 engine with a Solex carburetor, but it doesn't look original to me. Can we know the chassis number? the odometer instrument with a maximum speed of 300 kmh is interesting