Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A disconnected MPS stops the injectors.
A bad trigger in the distributor stops the injectors

Aussiecsi

Reaction score

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
some good news ( of sorts )...been confirmed that my ECU ( and ignition coil) work fine in the other CSL D-Jet car . Going to revisit the cold start relay and injector relay next which appeared to be ok but maybe not ...I think we're slowly getting down to the pointy end . Any other suggestions ? Cheers, Simon

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Just a thought .... you may want to bite the bullet and get a Haltech or Megasquirt and have your FI electrics redone. You won’t regret it.

I have driven a few original FI and carb E9, E12 cars and never experienced one that runs, starts and performs as well as mine does thanks to my intelligent Haltech engine management system. na just imho.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Mal ...my car was my daily driver about 30 years ago and I have to say usually drove like a bit of a pig .Now, everything mechanically and electrically is pretty much "new " ...I have to say that prior to my recent glitch, the D-jet was on song and rebuilt engine was pulling like a train . I expect that the 123 Ignition will enhance the experience. But, I always keep an open mind on these things . Cheers, Simon

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simon, nice that you can test parts in another known good D-jet CSL and vice versa.

Still think it's the MAP sensor. When my CSi wouldn't run properly VSR swapped out the MAP sensor with a known good one and my car ran perfectly.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Simon, nice that you can test parts in another known good D-jet CSL and vice versa.

Still think it's the MAP sensor. When my CSi wouldn't run properly VSR swapped out the MAP sensor with a known good one and my car ran perfectly.

yes, Andrew, I'm fortunate that there are a few D-Jets that can be called upon when needed here in Perth .I tested the MPS and seems to be in ohm spec but haven't tested vacuum. My gut feel is that it will be a "doh" electrical thing. ...but can call on a CSL MPS too ;)

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that you need to check that the message is leaving the 123 distributor trigger points and getting to the ecu.
How you check with that 123 disi I don't know, but I would look there.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
tried NOS cold jet relay but nothing .Seems that there's current to the relays but nothing sent "upstream" to cold start valve nor injectors. I have someone coming next week who is supposed to be the BMW Classic "whisperer " . Sorry, don't think it's MPS /MAP . I will buy for the bar if I'm wrong ...and only if you're all teetotallers...yes, I'm cheap .

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Well Gents , for those of you that nominated MAP/MPS as the source of the problem....you were close, but sadly no cigar :)...ok, let the lawyers argue the technicalities of what constitutes a "MPS ". I won't bore you with the hours of testing and cursing that we went through , however, things only fell into place once I got hold of a legible D-Jet wiring diagram so we could test the wires for continuity . Outwardly, all plug connections seemed fine but it turned out that the wire for #8 pin inside the plug ( that plugs into the MPS ) had become detached from the terminal . Anyways, got a number of suspect connections cleaned up along the way and I learnt a lot more about troubleshooting D-Jet issues.

Many thanks for input and suggestions along the way . As always, greatly appreciated. Cheers, Simon

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
BTW, thanks too to Forum member "Christopher " in London who was kind enough to send me the BMW specific D-Jet Manual . I'm happy to forward on if you PM me with your email address . Cheers, Simon

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simon, glad to hear it has been resolved. During the restoration of my CSi, all the connectors were rebuilt and all the rubber boots replaced.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Simon, glad to hear it has been resolved. During the restoration of my CSi, all the connectors were rebuilt and all the rubber boots replaced.
Yes, my whole injector harness was refurbished too Andrew , which included new boots from Carl Nelson... I guess that single wire slipped through the net .

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...sigh ...back here again . Engine is not firing at all . A number of issues/queries to address but summarise as follows :
- there is fuel
- engine turns on starter motor
- there is spark to plugs
- there is continuity between MPS to ECU ( the previous broken wire failed again but resoldered )
- cold start injector does spray fuel into plenum
- no pulse to injectors ...no continuity to injector "ground " on ECU ( pin 11 )
- both cold start relay and main relay seem to be "active" .
- 123 ignition installed

So far, we have :
- substituted ECU
- substituted ignition coil
- substituted cold start and main relays
- run a "bypass " from the ECU ( pin 11) to the injector "ground" ( on the triangular plenum support )

Even though the main injectors aren't working, can someone explain why the engine shows no signs of firing whatsoever even when there is fuel spray from the cold start valve and there is also spark to the plugs ?

Thanks , Simon

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
flooded with gas in the plenum from trying to start too many times?
Brick on your gas pedal and big hose off throttle body.
Let it sit for a day.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
are you using a Noid test lamp?
When you activate (push on throttle linkage in engine bay) with key on do you hear lots of tiny clicks (injector pulses)? Push down quickly for more clicks.

Remember injector duration if any is determined by speed and load. No trigger or no load signal results in no injector signal. Trigger is distributor and load is MPS. Did you test for continuity at 8 and 10 and 7 and 15?
You have the trouble shooting guide?

If you have injectors with key on by manipulating throttle but none with cranking you have a trigger or MPS problem.