D-jetronic injection unit for 3.0 CSI

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well- give us a flash pic in focus of that area and a pic of the passenger inner fender!

Frankie

Reaction score
Well- give us a flash pic in focus of that area and a pic of the passenger inner fender!
I'd love to but that's the best pic I have and we're locked down here and I can't get to the car for probably another 6 weeks or so...

Also, it's RHD - so will that change the location of the 'passenger fender'?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 4 LHD csi’s in the shop- no RHD…
Think you will have to beg an Aussie for some help!

Frankie

Reaction score
I have 4 LHD csi’s in the shop- no RHD…
Think you will have to beg an Aussie for some help!
Ok, do any of these help?

Attachments

• CSI (CS) engine bay II.jpg
    CSI (CS) engine bay II.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 121
  • CSI (CS) engine bay III.jpg
    CSI (CS) engine bay III.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 119
  • CSI (CS) engine bay IV.jpg
    CSI (CS) engine bay IV.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 109
  • CSI (CS) engine bay.jpg
    CSI (CS) engine bay.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 125

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lots of pics out there for csi and Csl RHD

Attachments

• 515BE1FB-1058-40AB-BF55-919B5713742C.png
    515BE1FB-1058-40AB-BF55-919B5713742C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • 613C7CB3-5433-471A-9B31-329B4EB2D6D0.png
    613C7CB3-5433-471A-9B31-329B4EB2D6D0.png
    2 MB · Views: 138

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RHD carb car

Attachments

• 63D6A558-619E-433D-9259-EC69928A03B4.png
    63D6A558-619E-433D-9259-EC69928A03B4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 122

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well only because I like @sfdon and Kiwi's are kind of like Tasmanian's but sound more strange..

Here is the engine bay of my CSL (RHD) as I found it. You can just see the air box mount sticking out from the inner fender in the middle bottom of the pic.

20181015_144938.jpg

Here's another shocker of the CSL - sorry it's out of focus. You can see the EFI harness coming out of the chassis rail. If your was was a CS you don't have the middle slot. You can also see the airbox bracket.

This is a better shot of the slot and bracket.
IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
if your car is matching number and confirmed as a csi , it's definitely worth the spend to reinstall a D-Jet system , particularly as genuine rhd csi's are thin on the ground and very desirable ( at least here in OZ )

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
That pic above is your map. Just so it's crystal clear, what you are looking for is the hole in the frame rail where the injection harness runs into towards the ecu, below the rear passenger seat(LHD). I've circled what you are looking for...
20210905_072023.jpg

Beam318ti

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my experience on this site the sale of complete D-jet systems is rare, unfortunately. But keep looking here. D-jet was used on MB, Volvo, Saab, Citroen, VW, Porsche (914) and a few others in the late 60s through early 70s. You should check out and join jetronic.org (in Germany), Volker is an expert on D-jet and he might be able to help finding a D-jet system in Europe somewhere. Also, a weakness with D-jet is the availability of certain parts including trigger points, Manifold Air Pressure sensors and fuel pressure regulators which are very hard to replace. Replacement Injectors are available from Standard Motor Products (FJ 118) through Rock Auto and elsewhere. I just recently spent more than $1000 tracking down a problem with my D-jet by replacing components that turned out to be OK...my problem was solved by borrowing a MAP from a friend (20 miles away) which proved that the MAP I had rebuilt was incorrectly adjusted, a fact which escaped my brain at the outset. Anyway, good luck...you might also want to consider L-jet for which parts seem to be much more plentiful.

Bill ànd others--is the FJ 118 injector a proven and suitable replacement for original D-Jet injectors? I have a '72 CSI and I was looking to purchase the SMP injectors referenced above but wanted to check first before taking the plunge. Thanks.

Beam318ti

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would opt for a 123 Ignition csi distributor if you go down that path...depends how "original" you want to be I guess.

To benefit my ignorance, could you please elaborate the reasoning for this? Thanks.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Bill ànd others--is the FJ 118 injector a proven and suitable replacement for original D-Jet injectors? I have a '72 CSI and I was looking to purchase the SMP injectors referenced above but wanted to check first before taking the plunge. Thanks.

The FJ118's work great .....make sure you replace all the rubber injector seals too as they are probably degraded.