Dash Board Opinions

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my over-the-top setup. Like everything of mine, they are just parts in a bin at the moment. There is something about four gauges that looks less appealing than three. As mentioned I like data, and I’m keeping my original non-AC console and wood tray.

I’m using AC console sides, as the gauge plate is based off of an AC face plate. The AC console puts your gauges at about a 45 degree viewing angle. I’m currently in the process of filling the AC vent holes on the side and having it professionally recovered.

See other four gauge console examples from Duane Sword and DeQuincy.

View attachment 67578
FWIW in my Not So HO recover the vinyl. Not difficult for a professional. I have never liked the Speaker Delete Option, Steve H. is right, it is a long run of wood and after looking at the speaker grill for 44 years it appears odd. Just me. I am okay with the gauges in the speaker grill, Steve's installation is interesting. Has anyone simply cut the holes in the original grill keeping the wood slats and fabric behind them?

I would love to have ac, but that will never happen. And I love the wood tray with its rubber slats. Compliments the rest of the wood and eliminates the massive, to me, ac vents, switches.

Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought about doing that but those slats are fragile and to me doesn't look right with the gauges, also with all my period mods I want the option of going back to original unmolested.

Has anyone simply cut the holes in the original grill keeping the wood slats and fabric behind them?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have to agree with the "do the grille or do the gauges", but not both.
And, yes you are right Markos, design class 101...odd numbers always look better than even ones.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
might have to give this approach a try ... it would nice to get a panel or make one - either wrapped in leather or to make a wood panel. unless anybody has an alpina panel they want to part with
Here's my simple Alpina style, I like the stock speaker grill or gauge cluster in this spot, seems to break up the otherwise large swath of wood IMHO. Whichever way you choose to go, I am in favor of the extra gauges, the volt meter has already saved my a$$ and I am hoping the oil pressure gauge will warn me of impending grenading of engine before the idiot light indicates it already has.

jci1Ot045bNUjFnZDws53YH7ayD-1TLa0PViNDUEvdBIb6KdRBxSZFt0U9A4U-jLfJWoZ_bxKFeNvM7yjH2DvCIBaIpYwI2m9bd5YAMhWGeTD133jqT8hXdRsmJjmtA5SdvruBr235DuKMKoRINohug0_HP6mlcUFLbdYXsy_8u6vg7ymlpCN5hChY12LH_jNbopdabAu6lURWd3dNbm9ew9tnkr_icFHqAqcOTHcQkTR-w-9_gkIyj3-48gWWANZEGnrNJBstWo2sBaXq1wAGHqhb0v0pi_uqKW__SiyXzppcnyrGM-T70HeaIipRPdXlo9lTq7L6TnA6FOjIBv8mypueO37VpLuK68RMAtNm8vF7F3wpoR0vUGurGVPChr4d2OWktHHdqVjdl-N8hh6dc6ux5gPFmISz1NKiKZEfGtuANQjFLSS3hfMvXJF5DoNNKJinIhsuoYDD-Zkg504QmQDxIVAnlcBFnQm00_idKlBtPUn2BTnwTDn6PU03gGN7QRe_Rgp7H8pSvVM_zXVsmsdlzw18pITdc6pXktBtsLYOSbdKR6NXbYPM6U-7uXzxGqBZ1J2rFBZNJ1wpetIPbtlVebX4sv263s2bvVp4OYC3l6zeEkOpBuCdOlefXXV7f4IbVjmWEGOK7rfO2lh_iF_J3ygUk=w1070-h781-no

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
might have to give this approach a try ... it would nice to get a panel or make one - either wrapped in leather or to make a wood panel. unless anybody has an alpina panel they want to part with
OOO! I like Daddywad's.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
For oil pressure, VDO makes a sender that installs in place of the stock BMW sender that has a terminal for the gauge and a terminal to keep the idiot light.

For oil temp, I used a stock VDO temp sender, installed into the flat boss on the side of oil filter housing. In order to do the install, I had to drill and tap a hole for the sender.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have little desire to keep them unless they add some value down the line. Forgive my sarcasm but I live in Ma where everyone drives looking at everything but the road. I view this as a distraction mostly. I may just bury it behind the dash if I change my mind later. Problem is that lower dash has holes drilled to accomodate it. This would mean I live with the holes or buy another lower dash. At least the lower part of the dash is easy to exchange.

Yes it is Taiga, a pleasant suprise for me. My family thinks its over the top, why the PO painted the car red is beyond me. Maybe he/she listened to their family, I have no intention of listening to mine (for this decision that is).

Bob,
Remind your family that when you die they can repaint it any color they like. If they feel otherwise, tell them to pony up the blood sweat and tears to restore the car. Apologies if you've already got your SO wielding the DA sander.

for simplicity and historic correctness, go with the speaker grill replacement. Gauges way down low are too far below eye level to be comfortably read. And at my age, the more distance between me and the gauge the more likely I'll be able to read it.

Or, ditch the clock and go Paul Cain (my favorite setup). I've got a spare gauge set aside for just this purpose.
Paul's old thread said the oil P/T gauge was from an early Porsche 924. I browsed pics and couldn't find a dual side/side temp gauge for 924's.
However, when I looked at 911 gauges I found this from a 1977 Porsche 911. There are some nice pics of this on Pelican Parts

These seem to be big bucks these days, not $70 as mentioned in the Pelican Parts article.

John

Attachments

• porsche_oil_gauge.jpg
    porsche_oil_gauge.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 107

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I will either get rid of them all together or move to speaker grill site. Somebody actually spent a lot of time installing them. Kinda like when I see a stone wall in Ma removed for condos. I think of the effort of the poor farmer and oxen.

John, at least I know 2 people in Ma will like the color!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I will either get rid of them all together or move to speaker grill site. Somebody actually spent a lot of time installing them. Kinda like when I see a stone wall in Ma removed for condos. I think of the effort of the poor farmer and oxen.

John, at least I know 2 people in Ma will like the color!

Taiga is the only color I would consider if I were to deviate from original. Why? Because it is such a 1970’s color that goes perfectly with bell bottoms and platform shoes.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OOO! I like Daddywad's.
looks like gauges mounted on the speaker grille. if i did wood, i would use the speaker grille mount - recover the frame with thin wood, and cut the holes + veneer to complete the piece (match the dash)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed my two air-mixture gauges under the dash inside the glove box and spaced them down with a piece of
oak
perfect.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you do a DQ documentation of the process?...or at least explain your process/methods, and materials/adhesives, please. Looks PDG from here.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you do a DQ documentation of the process?...or at least explain your process/methods, and materials/adhesives, please. Looks PDG from here.
I've got a feed showing my restoration and go into detail there, but lack the skills to attach it here.
The post title is( needed a "go by") I believe.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Here’s mine, I managed to get both dials and radio in, the rocker switch’s work the front driving lights (spots) at least one of them does the other is purely for balance, although I should connect the rear fog light to it... next project
3D661E03-0139-4E41-AD21-230313124153.jpeg