Dashboard Defroster Vent Project

aguirola

Reaction score
Thank you all for the wait and the kind comments...
after all, then we were 30 +/-, now we are 70 +/- :)
Please give me this week to finish the paint trials, then I will place an official 'For Sale'
post with all the details.
I do not foresee a very fast production as these small items take more time than large ones.
plus, the horizontal thin blade is a bear to fill without air bubbles...believe me, I know.
Raided the toothpick store ;)

Thank you for your patience, after all, 40 years? Guess my car lived a happy life under the shade.

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Well guys, for the good news, I can proceed and make all the ones required.
Now, for the other news, they will cost $185 each, as they require 24 man-hours
to manufacture each one, L. or R. @ $7.70 x hour, and besides, the vents need to be painted inside and out.

Materials, no charge, as minimalistic. Shipping will also be slight, in a flat rate box, probably $15.

I am not including into the price of the cost of the mould making process.

Athis time, we will make 2 sets, one for myself, and one more for Don, who so kindly donated the set
for the mould (this one set is free for Don, as per my policy for parts donors).

Just as a clearing point, being well aware they are not inexpensive, it takes the same time (man-hours) to make a set of bumpers.
My view, and also a good friend's view, is if you need them you do, and if not, don't.
How much is your Coupe worth these days? I mean, your everyday VW dealer x hour rate is $200.

Consequently, if you find them too expensive, I will not mind at all if the people that expressed their liking towards the vents,
will wish to back out from their initial interest. Never any hard feelings.

If you are still wishing to purchase a set, I will require a deposit of $185 (50%) per set, the sooner the better, as if this project flops,
I need to continue paying salaries, and not continue making vents.

Bottom line, please send via P.pal, friends and family, to: alberto.guirola at gmail dot com

Kindly email me after the deposit, and include:

Your mailing address, telephone number, and any preference you might have, as long as they are black only:)
Payment due when I arrive in California with the vents (as many as we manage to make), by August.

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
PS. When sending deposit, Nicole Guirola will appear on Ppal (my wife, the cashier:) )

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I like to say, $185 per side is cheaper than then other defroster the vents that are NOT being produced. :)

I never finished my model, but I just ran the prototype through a quoting engine to illustrate why I abandoned the effort.

This is one side:
B60702A4-D1AD-400D-B632-69C94163AF37.jpeg

aguirola

Reaction score
Well Markos, thank you for the kind comment. Also, your comments about 3D production validates Don's comments.
Either too expensive or not feasible, not to mention ours will last forever, specially without rivets ;)
At times, 3rd world antics and a bit of imagination trumps new world tech.

Michael, thank you for the support. Funds received.

Regards, Alberto

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Alberto, Absolutely excellent job mate. Really impressive. I cant wait to see the painted and finished.

Hi Alberto,
I'm based in London and was wondering if you would ship out to me. If so my postcode is IG9 6BJ.

Great work.

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Alberto, Excellent job there mate.
I'm based in London. Can you ship out to London, and if so my postcode is IG9 6BJ, if that helps you to get an approximate.

I just skipped through this board, so excuse me if you have already
provided that info.

Great work.

Well guys, for the good news, I can proceed and make all the ones required.
Now, for the other news, they will cost $185 each, as they require 24 man-hours
to manufacture each one, L. or R. @ $7.70 x hour, and besides, the vents need to be painted inside and out.

Materials, no charge, as minimalistic. Shipping will also be slight, in a flat rate box, probably $15.

I am not including into the price of the cost of the mould making process.

Athis time, we will make 2 sets, one for myself, and one more for Don, who so kindly donated the set
for the mould (this one set is free for Don, as per my policy for parts donors).

Just as a clearing point, being well aware they are not inexpensive, it takes the same time (man-hours) to make a set of bumpers.
My view, and also a good friend's view, is if you need them you do, and if not, don't.
How much is your Coupe worth these days? I mean, your everyday VW dealer x hour rate is $200.

Consequently, if you find them too expensive, I will not mind at all if the people that expressed their liking towards the vents,
will wish to back out from their initial interest. Never any hard feelings.

If you are still wishing to purchase a set, I will require a deposit of $185 (50%) per set, the sooner the better, as if this project flops,
I need to continue paying salaries, and not continue making vents.

Bottom line, please send via P.pal, friends and family, to: alberto.guirola at gmail dot com

Your mailing address, telephone number, and any preference you might have, as long as they are black only:)
Payment due when I arrive in California with the vents (as many as we manage to make), by August.

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Dear Johnny,
Can definitely ship to the UK. Ignore the amt. of the postage, but cannot be much.
Please, If you are still wishing to purchase a set, I will require a deposit of $185 (50%) per set.
please send via P.pal, friends and family, to: alberto.guirola at gmail dot com

When making the deposit, my wife Nicole will appear (the holder of the checkbook :) )
Thank you for your kind support!

Best regards,
Alberto

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just an update for everyone who has waited 40 years for these unobtainable parts... I am the first recipient of @aguirola 's fine workmanship and am very pleased.

Thanks so much to Alberto for rushing out the first set to me -- I am in the midst of finishing @JetDexter 's CSE and the old vents were close to beyond repair so these have enabled the project to continue moving forward. As mentioned, I asked for a set non-bonded together or painted because we'll need to make some modifications to the hose end to adapt them to the modern Vapir 2 HVAC unit we're installing in this previously non-AC car.

Overall, the pieces are very nice. Far from looking a gift horse in the mouth, if I'm being a perfectionist there are a few areas where these differ slightly from the originals. Namely, the riveting tabs are very thin, and, in fact, break off easily. The corners of the deflector blades are a bit square, and the new units lack the internal dividers of the originals. But none of these are show stoppers. The new units are designed to be expoxed together, not riveted at the tabs so the tabs are really just for alignment. Recipients of the fully assembled units will no doubt never care about the tabs. The corners of the blades can easily be sanded down a touch to match the original profile if desired. Again, something Albert may do when he assembles and paints non-prototype units. And the lack of dividers has no material affect on the performance or strength of these reproduction vents -- being fiberglass reenforced, the new vents are much stronger than the original brittle plastic so internal supports aren't necessary.

There are a lot of complex curves and finely detailed areas that came out perfectly in these units. Any other small differences will be below the dash pad. They will look great from up top once installed in a dash.

Thanks again to Alberto for fine work, and for even using US-visiting friends to save on shipping costs. We talked on the phone a couple times and he's a great asset to the old car hobby.
20220702_170859.jpg

20220702_170907.jpg

20220702_170928.jpg

20220702_170935.jpg

20220702_170941.jpg