Deposit on another BMW - NOT an E9

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The numbers are a bit surprising. A 2002 Touring Tii is rarer than a CSL. 723 were made. They made around 4500 2000 Touring Tii's and 40,000 "normal" 2002 Tii's.
What is the difference between a 2000 Tii touring and this rare 2002 Tii touring?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
extremely happy for you. it should be a great journey + i think you will have fun with it
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting it. Arranged shipping today and it's being delivered directly to the local 2002 wizard for some minor things like sway bar end links and oil/fluid changes. It needs new tires but I'd rather wait for proper wheels. It has early 320i wheels on it which are supposedly really nice but I want something more period, like a set of Cromodoras. If anyone has anything special laying around!

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nothing allegedly but the designation... and bragging rights if you are so inclined.from 1971
Up to August 1973 = 2000tii ( silver grill )

From August 1973 on = 2002tii ( facelift model, black plastic grill, different interior etc. )

Yours says 2002tii but has the silver grill, early interior and early cockpit. Does it have a 1973 VIN? Probably approx. August?

Nevertheless a very beautiful and desirable car. Congratulations!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Up to August 1973 = 2000tii ( silver grill )

From August 1973 on = 2002tii ( facelift model, black plastic grill, different interior etc. )

Yours says 2002tii but has the silver grill, early interior and early cockpit. Does it have a 1973 VIN? Probably approx. August?

Nevertheless a very beautiful and desirable car. Congratulations!
Hi Hans - Thanks! it's a silver grill car. Remember this is a a Touring euro car so they were treated differently (from the info I've gathered) The VIN information in circulation for 2000 & 2002 touring Tii's (don't know about regular Tii's) also appears to be incorrect. You can see from the list below, this car should be a 2000 BUT Andreas Harz from BMW classic confirmed the VIN 3425000 as a July 16th, 1973 build 2002 Touring Tii.

UPDATE: The chart below is correct. It's just the designation of 73 2002 Tii's WITH the series 1 early grill and interior details. It's a bit of a slice of a smaller slice of the 02 Tourings.

This cars never been touched or modified.... Allegedly!
IMG_20220702_080108.jpg

Last edited:

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Hans - Thanks! it's a silver grill car. Remember this is a a Touring euro car so they were treated differently (from the info I've gathered) The VIN information in circulation for 2000 & 2002 touring Tii's (don't know about regular Tii's) also appears to be incorrect. You can see from the list below, this car should be a 2000 BUT Andreas Harz from BMW classic confirmed the VIN 3425000 as a July 16th, 1973 build 2002 Touring Tii.

This cars never been touched or modified.... Allegedly!View attachment 143757
That's very cool! It's a very late MK1. They were probably out of 2000ti badges.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make an account over at the 2002FAQ. bmw2002faq.com
Like this forum for everything '02.
Yup! I've had a profile there for 4-5 years just to have one. I tried to sell the 35cm Petri I had over there with no takers. One thing I'm happy about is prices for 02 parts are considerably cheaper than E9 parts...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yup! I've had a profile there for 4-5 years just to have one. I tried to sell the 35cm Petri I had over there with no takers. One thing I'm happy about is prices for 02 parts are considerably cheaper than E9 parts...
well hopefully you didn't sell it, now you can put it on the 2002tii touring

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
i dunno - thought that ireland or la jolla might ... didn't find anything on their website. i checked on Korman's website and they have one that has a battery tray as part of it.
While that would undoubtedly stiffen the car, it seems like it would ruin the point of the Touring model.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
400mm is perfect in an 02, especially for low speed steering. 380 mm is great for a Coupe/Bavaria.
Sold my 350mm it was just too small to be used.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
While that would undoubtedly stiffen the car, it seems like it would ruin the point of the Touring model.
Agree, but this won't be used as intended tooting kids and groceries around. It'll be on back roads 99% of the time. It may be a moot point as I don't believe there is a strut made for the touring

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update... I've decided on the wheels I want to go with. Campagnolo Bertone Ragno. Even the name screams sexy. The good? They are NOS. The bad? There are only 3 wheels!

That leaves me looking for at least one more to match and in excellent shape.

Any of you 02 owners have any opinions on these wheels?

1656871386591.png