Deposit on another BMW - NOT an E9

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update... I've decided on the wheels I want to go with. Campagnolo Bertone Ragno. Even the name screams sexy. The good? They are NOS. The bad? There are only 3 wheels!

That leaves me looking for at least one more to match and in excellent shape.

Any of you 02 owners have any opinions on these wheels?
As a bike nerd I've always had a soft spot for Campy car wheels. I hope your quest for the fourth isn't too difficult.

Throw one of their really expensive corkscrews in the glove box and call it a picnic!

calspyderman

Reaction score
Agree, but this won't be used as intended tooting kids and groceries around. It'll be on back roads 99% of the time. It may be a moot point as I don't believe there is a strut made for the touring
Hey @tferrer - what's your favored "back road(s)" in the area? When i lived in SF, I'd head to West Marin... Lucas Valley Road towards Nicasio, etc. I find most of the stuff like 35 to be a lot of tight, 2nd gear corners in the dark (not a lot of fun) surrounded by giant trees.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a bike nerd I've always had a soft spot for Campy car wheels. I hope your quest for the fourth isn't too difficult.

Throw one of their really expensive corkscrews in the glove box and call it a picnic!
Yes, I'm a bike nerd as well. I even went as far as a steel followed by an aluminum De Rosa. I traded the steel De Rosa in on a fancy carbon and tried to get it back from the shop as the stiff carbon was terrible. My heart broke when they told me it sold...Good idea! It "seems" like the perfect picnic mobile...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey @tferrer - what's your favored "back road(s)" in the area? When i lived in SF, I'd head to West Marin... Lucas Valley Road towards Nicasio, etc. I find most of the stuff like 35 to be a lot of tight, 2nd gear corners in the dark (not a lot of fun) surrounded by giant trees.
I agree wholeheartedly though there are some stretches that are more open and fun. And everyone gets such a big kick from going to Alices. I'll take driving over pkg lot ganders all day long. Lucas Valley is great if you can hit it when there isn't traffic. It's incredible if you get the timing right. Marshall road is great if not a little bumpy. 1 is amazing again if the timings right. The run to Stinson and on to Pt Reyes from Mill Valley is great..again if the stars align. I tell you the Breakfast Club Rallys map amazing roads. Always surprised. You should try some of them if you haven't. It depends on what car you drive as well. People pull over for my Lotus 7 clone...its unassuming and makes people smile so they just pull over and wave you by. My 911's got no such love...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 02 is arriving this morning! Bummed as I have to rush to pick it up, hope it drives well enough to get it back home and then I have to immediately jump onto a work call. No pouring over details until later...arrgghh

calspyderman

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly though there are some stretches that are more open and fun. And everyone gets such a big kick from going to Alices. I'll take driving over pkg lot ganders all day long. Lucas Valley is great if you can hit it when there isn't traffic. It's incredible if you get the timing right. Marshall road is great if not a little bumpy. 1 is amazing again if the timings right. The run to Stinson and on to Pt Reyes from Mill Valley is great..again if the stars align. I tell you the Breakfast Club Rallys map amazing roads. Always surprised. You should try some of them if you haven't. It depends on what car you drive as well. People pull over for my Lotus 7 clone...its unassuming and makes people smile so they just pull over and wave you by. My 911's got no such love...
Thanks for the heads up on the Breakfast Club Rallys. I never knew. I know what you mean about 911s getting no love... though it helps if it is a very old 911. Like your Lotus 7, my little 1969 Alfa GTV 1750 gets nothing but waves and smiles - especially when my 6-year old is waving from the back seat.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Arrived! Overall better than I thought and runs and drives great. No squeaks or rattles. Couple of pics. The cool key holder is from the shop in Switzerland he bought it from in 92

Still living vicariously through you bud. We go from exchanging craigslist ads for cool 2002’s to you owning a Tii Touring two weeks later. :D

Anyway, off in the minivan to take the kids to swim class. :D

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still living vicariously through you bud. We go from exchanging craigslist ads for cool 2002’s to you owning a Tii Touring two weeks later. :D

Anyway, off in the minivan to take the kids to swim class. :D
I'd say I'm happy to oblige but your searching capabilities are killing my economic position! ;-)

20220707_093304.jpg
20220707_122025.jpg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Update... I've decided on the wheels I want to go with. Campagnolo Bertone Ragno. Even the name screams sexy. The good? They are NOS. The bad? There are only 3 wheels!

That leaves me looking for at least one more to match and in excellent shape.

Any of you 02 owners have any opinions on these wheels?

View attachment 143806
Great looking wheels! Being Italian I love the name as well. “Ragno” translates to “spider”. Be aware that in Italian, G’s are silent when followed by N. So it’s pronounced “Reine-yo”. Hopefully you’ll find the fourth soon. :)

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i had a 350 momo wheel on my last 2002 and i loved it - except for very low speed steering. driving fast in the mountains, it was perfect. okay, i was 20 years younger and a lot stronger at the time. maybe now i would use my spare 400 petri (whenever i get another 2002) ... or if i ever find an e21 323i

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just spending some time in the car this evening. It's incredible. Everything and I mean everything is original and in fantastic condition. It's literally filthy like he hadn't cleaned the dash or anything in 20 plus years but everything is here and in great shape. Chrome trim, switches, door vinyl.. I'm really shocked. It has 118k km and it appears based on the paperwork, the the seller was the second owner. LOTS more cleaning up but I'm really happy so far. Paintless dent guy comes tomorrow and I'm basically going to to let him lose on the car.. Stay tuned

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very cool car. Keep us up to date on your journey with this one.