Deposit on another BMW - NOT an E9

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I need another injected BMW like a hole in the head but I've always loved the quirky looks of these and with long time ownership including importation from Switzerland in 97, I at least had to put a deposit down and have it looked at, which is happening tomorrow.

Supposedly original paint. Chassis will get a close look tomorrow.
Screenshot_20220627-140605_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220627-140743_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220627-140531_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220627-140517_Gallery.jpg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks decent.
The mechanic didn't have time to put it on the lift but he said he was not expecting a pure stock car that ran excellent and was in overall excellent shape... We'll see if that still holds true after putting it on the lift tomorrow.

Honolulu

Reaction score
With, for the USA anyway, the later style aluminium ('73 and '74) intake tubes. Only the '72 USA had the plastic tubes, I've had both.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve always loved these! So retro-cool.
Saw this one on CL too and it looks like a very nice buy. Can’t wait to see it all dialed in.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let us know how it drives, especially compared to an e9. I have had four E9s, yet I have never driven a 2002.
i've had 3 - liked the stock one, but the one i had with a korman sport suspension, all the right upgrades and 15" wheels drove like it was on rails. a lot of fun. never have driven the touring ... very curious about the differences

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
very cool. look forward to seeing what you do with it. pretty rare car in the USA ... a tii touring.
The numbers are a bit surprising. A 2002 Touring Tii is rarer than a CSL. 723 were made. They made around 4500 2000 Touring Tii's and 40,000 "normal" 2002 Tii's.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
723!!! That is a rare and unusual bird indeed. And yet, so practical with the fold-down rear seats. Great for those occasional trips to Home Depot.

Always loved the Touring.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
so what news is coming from the in-depth look? very excited for you ...
Nothing yet. Just spoke to the mechanic. They are fitting it in so it got pushed to after lunch.

@teahead I won't be doing anything to it. It's completely stock, untouched, unmodified state will be kept the way it is. I will likely change the wheels to some period cromodoras or something. Maybe some springs, sway bars and maybe a nitrous kit... Ah screw it, I'm going to put a Coyote motor in it with sequential paddle shift and wheelie bars... Just kidding!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
i've had 3 - liked the stock one, but the one i had with a korman sport suspension, all the right upgrades and 15" wheels drove like it was on rails. a lot of fun. never have driven the touring ... very curious about the differences
I spoke with @dp about that very thing. He's had both and says the Touring handles quite differently. I don't think it's as rigid as a normal 2002 so there's that. The rear overhang on a Touring is quite a bit less also so definitely differences to be had...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think a strut brace between the 2 rears will help a lot. should be right behind where the rear seats fold up and lock into position

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i dunno - thought that ireland or la jolla might ... didn't find anything on their website. i checked on Korman's website and they have one that has a battery tray as part of it.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spoke to the mechanic last eve. Turns out his brother has a CSi! Anyway, just a quick update. The car checks out with the one exception being the exhaust rocker on cyl 1 being at the end of its adjustment range which he said was fine for the time being but a bit noisy and ultimately should have the head off to replace all the rockers. There is a small bubble here and there but no structural rust anywhere on the car which was my main worry. Apparently cars don't rust in Boise. It's completely stock, shifts fantastic has a pristine dash w zero cracks and no leaks on the k-fish. So with all that said, I talk to the seller this am and agree to the purchase.

I'll be querying the collective intelligence of this group on things like paint preservation and correct period fog lights etc..

More to come!