Do you have custom interior wood?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Zebra wood after 15 years or so ... clashes with red tones of the Nardi so replaced with a m/tech from the early 90's.

NardiWheel.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Zebra wood after 15 years or so ... clashes with red tones of the Nardi so replaced with a m/tech from the early 90's.

NardiWheel.jpg

Nice Zebra wood, you also had the console with the switches done, that's a very neat idea. Looks like it's held up well over the years. Is that a custom shift knob, or off the off the shelf somewhere?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
The knob

The shifter knob is from UCC short shift kit and installed by TJ (previous owner) who won it at some car show in the SF area (hope I got that right). Not my favourite thing about the car but the numbers light up when I switch the lights on and it gets nice and warm on those chilly late night drives.

IMG_1785.jpg

Winters coming....again

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i've been thinking about what wood to use in my coupe - i agree with Steve that Burls are nice, but more of Jag or Rolls ideas ... call it british. burls are generally small pieces of wood that will require flitch matching to come out good. one thing that might be of interest, less formal than burl is a pomele figure (or quilt figure). i have attached some different woods that i have looked at as well as a picture of a dash that i like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49_Kosipo pomele.jpg (19.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg eucalyptus_pomele.jpg (75.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ETIMOE^QUARTERED_FIGURED.jpg (45.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg flatcut-crossfire-figure-bm.JPG (46.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg macore_rotary_cut_pomele.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg QuiltedPomeleSapele.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Sapelli Pommele Premium.jpg (78.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg WoodDash.jpg (91.5 KB, 38 views)

The last one is curly French walnut with a matte finish varnish (WoodDash.jpg). I liked it because it had a little more character than the original walnut used in the coupes, but was not too different.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andrew - no, I did not. The picture I was referring to is the last one in Scott's earlier post. Here is one of the collection.

Attachments

• WoodCurlyFrenchWalnut.jpg
    WoodCurlyFrenchWalnut.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 254

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew - no, I did not. The picture I was referring to is the last one in Scott's earlier post. Here is one of the collection.
This is one of my favorites, well done! ... a good figure in the veneer, and looks like wood that fits in our coupe.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like that too. Madera Concepts: http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSit...MW_3_0_CSi_CSL Also has a Burl Walnut that I'm really liking. It's the veneer on the remanufactured lower dash.

My wife thinks the stock wood is too plain...it is her car.
being an architect and an interior designer, i think the wood is too plain as well ... it is basically un-figured veneer. the use of any figured or highly figured wood is a significant improvement. IMHO, i think burl (any type) is too british for our german cars.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
being an architect and an interior designer, i think the wood is too plain as well ... it is basically un-figured veneer. the use of any figured or highly figured wood is a significant improvement. IMHO, i think burl (any type) is too british for our german cars.

I agree about Burl in general. I think that real burl has been muddied by extensive use of fake burl in 'luxury' autos over the past 15 years. The real stuff looks pretty, it's not my first choice though.

I was looking at David Vrane's build site (amazing btw). He has a really interesting choice. If he doesn't chime in I can link a pic.

lloyd

Reaction score
As a lapsed purist, I admire a well appointed interior. Still, lest anyone forget, the original woodwork was fairly low key. My recollection was a satin finish as opposed to even a semi gloss. For many years I left my wood finish in original condition with an occasional spritz of furniture polish or the like. But as the years and environment took their toll, alligatoring warranted a move to steel wool, stain and eventually gloss urethane. My experience with Mercedes interior finish of the period struck me as being more durable but more susceptible to smudges and fingerprints.

I remember a heated discussion between a salesman and a prospective customer concerning the wood finish found in Mercedes and Jaguar versus the BMW. The salesman claimed BMW's flat finish was less reflective and therefore less distracting and safer. The customer walked after saying something to the effect that the argument made sense excepting the chrome bits and the gloss finish of certain horizontal body panels. (Maybe the customer was responsible for the black hood grill slats and black wiper arms.:roll:

page16.jpg
page17.jpg

page12.jpg
page15.jpg

2792735670_26589c66b5.jpg
2791883113_71369376d4.jpg

CS3.jpg

P1030373-2.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

mynewcar018.jpg

autowp.ru_bmw_3.0_csi_uk-spec_5.jpg

And for those who cannot get enough of wood . . .
184999.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lloyd thanks for the wonderful sales brochure pics. I assume that the other pics are your car. Except that last one of course.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Loved that brochure phrase: "The future belongs to the automatic."
well it was 40 years premature ... with the dawn of double clutch gearboxes, like the porsche pdk (and others), the automatic is a whole 'nother beast. i prefer a stick, except in rush hour traffic and a commute to work. i counted one week, and i averaged 60 shifts each way to work and home. my 911s has PDK and its an amazing tranny. my coupe - STICK (5 speed)

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree about Burl in general. I think that real burl has been muddied by extensive use of fake burl in 'luxury' autos over the past 15 years. The real stuff looks pretty, it's not my first choice though.

I was looking at David Vrane's build site (amazing btw). He has a really interesting choice. If he doesn't chime in I can link a pic.

I used quilted maple. I still love the figure, but the Nardi wheel looks wrong. Also, the old CSI cloth interior must go.
IMG_1726_s.JPG

P6240246.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was looking to do something dark.. perhaps an 'ebony' stain from minwax (far right).

fancy-duraseal-stain-minwax-ebony-0dUgZ.jpg
try using santos rosewood or macassar ebony for a pretty dark wood. better to use a dark wood with a clear finish if you want it dark. dark staining a lighter wood will hide the graining and figuring (to some degree).

for people wanting a contemporary look to burl, you might also consider lacewood.

Attachments

• ebony_reconstituted_quartered.jpg
    ebony_reconstituted_quartered.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 184
  • rosewood_santos_quartered_plain.jpg
    rosewood_santos_quartered_plain.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 170
  • sapele_rotary_cut_drape.jpg
    sapele_rotary_cut_drape.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 160
  • maple_rotary_cut_curly.jpg
    maple_rotary_cut_curly.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 182

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used quilted maple. I still love the figure, but the Nardi wheel looks wrong. Also, the old CSI cloth interior must go.

Very cool. Reminds me of tiger's eye stones. I agree about the wheel and the fabric, although the fabric is pretty cool.